gt engine help

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

trx1

gt engine help

Post by trx1 »

im getting a GT soon(im hoping) and need to know if a trx pro.15 will work in it.. :?:

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Re: gt engine help

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Yeah, though it's not exactly a potent engine. I threw one together with a TRX .15 awhile back, just because I didn't have another engine laying around and wanted one in it to make a sale easier:

Basically any small block with a rotary carb and threaded crank will drop right in, slide carbs or SG crankshafts will require modifications. Big block engines (.21 and larger) are a whole 'nother ball game, lots of customization.

I've put just about every type of motor in a 10GT, they have a pretty flexible layout.

Do you just already have a TRX .15 on hand? If not, I'd highly recommmend the HPI Nitrostar 3.0 for the 10GT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HPI-Racing-Nitro-Star-T3-0-Engine-15107-NIB-/330889183091?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0a883f73

It's a powerful little motor that doesn't break the bank. I'm running that engine in one of my black tub GTs:

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

this is what I use

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP8&P=7

although I don't remember paying nearly that much money for it. I could have sworn I payed about the same price as that HPI one. you don't have to worry about it being potent enough...

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

although I don't remember paying nearly that much money for it. I could have sworn I payed about the same price as that HPI one. you don't have to worry about it being potent enough...
The .18 CV-RX has been about $150 everywhere I've looked for as long as I can recall. OS doesn't make a cheap engine. lol.

However, if one is gonna spend that much, may as well spend a little more and get a real performer; the .18 TZ. I've played with the .18 CV-R, and honestly, it makes about the same amount of power as the HPI 3.0 or AE .18X. The TZ series is a different class entirely, though. I have a GT2 with a .12 TZ, and that thing will outperform most .18s, including the CV-R. Nasty little engines.

Having said that, the above pictured truck with the HPI 3.0 is equipped with a GT2 20T clutch bell mated to an RRP 65T steel spur. It clocks 48 MPH and wheelies on demand.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I had an LRP Z .18S in mine right before I converted it to brushless. It fit perfect. Not that it helps with your question, but as long as we're on the subject. I pulled it and sold it before I ever ran it. I would have liked to have seen just how powerful it was in there. Sadly, I'll never know...

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:
The .18 CV-RX has been about $150 everywhere I've looked for as long as I can recall. OS doesn't make a cheap engine. lol.

However, if one is gonna spend that much, may as well spend a little more and get a real performer; the .18 TZ. I've played with the .18 CV-R, and honestly, it makes about the same amount of power as the HPI 3.0 or AE .18X. The TZ series is a different class entirely, though. I have a GT2 with a .12 TZ, and that thing will outperform most .18s, including the CV-R. Nasty little engines.

Having said that, the above pictured truck with the HPI 3.0 is equipped with a GT2 20T clutch bell mated to an RRP 65T steel spur. It clocks 48 MPH and wheelies on demand.
I was a bit disappointed with the power output when I first got it. it didn't seem much faster than the little .12 rebranded novarosi sold by HPI that the shop owner pulled out of a RS4 racer kit when I first bought the truck around 2001. it seemed to have a lot more grunt though. that little novarosi was an angry little beast and the run times were incredible. I wish the little engine didn't disintegrate after sitting for ten years.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

I had an LRP Z .18S in mine right before I converted it to brushless. It fit perfect. Not that it helps with your question, but as long as we're on the subject. I pulled it and sold it before I ever ran it. I would have liked to have seen just how powerful it was in there. Sadly, I'll never know...
Another one of mine:

Also have an .18S in my nitro converted gold pan and my Kyosho Nitro Thrasher. I bought parts to build five of them when AE was liquidating, I sold two and kept three, almost broke even (had $46 in each one). They're decent, but not quite as powerful as the AE .18X or the HPI 3.0. A little peppier than the AE .15, though. I'm happy with them for what I have invested :D, but I'm glad I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP.
it seemed to have a lot more grunt though.
Yes, the .18 CV-R has good bottom end. It's just not a high revving screamer like the TZ, or any of the race bred Nova & Picco small blocks. Definitely an upgrade over the .15X, just that at $150, it's kinda underwhelming when you can get the same performance for $60 less, or spend $40 more and get the TZ that pretty much blows any other small block out of the water. I think the .18 TZ is still the highest output small block available.

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

.18 is considered small block? ha! when I first got back into the hobby a couple of years ago I was amazed! .12 and .15 were the only things considered for 10th scale back in the day. now RTR's come with these massive engines!

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

.18 is considered small block? ha! when I first got back into the hobby a couple of years ago I was amazed! .12 and .15 were the only things considered for 10th scale back in the day. now RTR's come with these massive engines!
There is no gap between big block and small block these days. The TRX 3.3 (.19) and Losi 3.4 (.20) are small block. The Picco .21 Maxx also has a small block footprint, although it really isn't a small block. I suppose technically the .19 & .20 engines are mid block, but to me, if it fits in a small block mount, it's a small block.