Modern Sensored Programmable ESC's with Apple/Mac?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Modern Sensored Programmable ESC's with Apple/Mac?

Post by GodSpeed »

Are any of you guys running Apple/Mac computers? I'm new to programmable ESC's and all of the stuff I'm reading refers to PC or Android.

Is out there anything for Apple guys?

teman
Approved Member

Re: Modern Sensored Programmable ESC's with Apple/Mac?

Post by teman »

Nothing native to OSX that I know of. :?

Option 1...If you have an intel mac you could buy and run paralells (Windows running on top of OSX) or option 2...if you have or can buy a Winblows install disk, you could set-up and run a dual boot system on the mac with Apple Bootcamp. Both will work but it's kind of costly.

I chose option 3...my set-up is a 2 machine/platform workstation with 1 monitor/keyboard/mouse with a KVM switch linking the 2 towers. The windblows machine I got for free so it didn't cost me anything, the KVM switch was about $40. With my work I need both platforms and this was the least expensive route :mrgreen: I know you probably don't want another computer, but it's probably the quickest easiest way.
-Kevin

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

Is there a lot to be done with a PC, or do you just hook up every once in a while to update software and then use the program box (thinking of something like Hobbywing multifunction LCD program box) for in the field adjustments?

If that's the case, I could just hook up at work whenever needed, unless I need to download a program or something, in which case it would probably be blocked.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

You don't mention what ESC you're referring to, but I have a couple of those inexpensive units that include the program card. No need to connect to any computer. The card makes programming basic functions of the ESC a bit easier, as it shows with LEDs the current function & setting you're programming, but once you figure out how it works with the beeps, you can actually program a few additional features that are mentioned in the "manual" that aren't shown on the program card. My manual had a spreadsheet showing the features and options, and there were more than what was displayed on the program card. No computer was needed.

Some of the higher-end ESCs can be connected to a computer and with specific software installed, you can tinker with many other settings like torque curves, and view graphs and such...but it's optional.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GodSpeed »

Coelacanth wrote:You don't mention what ESC you're referring to, but I have a couple of those inexpensive units that include the program card. No need to connect to any computer. The card makes programming basic functions of the ESC a bit easier, as it shows with LEDs the current function & setting you're programming, but once you figure out how it works with the beeps, you can actually program a few additional features that are mentioned in the "manual" that aren't shown on the program card. My manual had a spreadsheet showing the features and options, and there were more than what was displayed on the program card. No computer was needed.

Some of the higher-end ESCs can be connected to a computer and with specific software installed, you can tinker with many other settings like torque curves, and view graphs and such...but it's optional.
Oh sorry. I'm thinking of a Hobbywing Xerun 90a V2.1

You say "can be connected....to tinker....but it's optional." Do I not need to get a program box with it (the Multifunction LCD program box, for example ~$20-$30)?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I don't have the XeRun ESCs, mine would be more equivalent to the EZRun units...but I'm sure other members have those and can comment. If the lower-end units can be programmed without any card, as long as you recognize the beeps and LED lights, I imagine it's the same for the XeRuns...but don't quote me on that. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

I run Windows 7 through Parallels on my Mac. Tekin, SpeedPassion (HobbyWing should be similar) and Castle interfaces work perfect. Also have no issues running Novak's Sentry data acquisition.
Classics rule, moderns drool