RC10DS 1966 Mustang GT

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LoboNYC
Approved Member

RC10DS 1966 Mustang GT

Post by LoboNYC »

I got this car from Canada as a non functional roller. It was basically put together to display a body.

I thought it was too cool looking to leave as a display chassis. It needed to come alive!....It needed TLC....so a project was started.

I replaced broken or missing parts and corrected the suspension. Axle hubs from a 4x4 sc10 were modified in order to swap out the DS originals with some modern HPI wheels and tires. A Castle Creations Brushless ESC/Motor combo was installed. Cool RCCarbonFiber parts were added.

A HPI 1966 Mustang GT body was painted and mounted on this little vintage car.

Of course it was not my intention to place her back on a shelf as she was meant to run free and pound the parking lots.
Here is some footage taken from my cell phone.

http://youtu.be/b4bT5DJRWWg

Sorry for the not so great footage....
let me know what you guys think?

shodog
Approved Member

Re: RC10DS 1966 Mustang GT

Post by shodog »

Looks sweet

sandkil
Approved Member

Post by sandkil »

A very nice addition to your collection.
Good work!!

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Very cool - Love the use of the graphite chassis on a DS. The last photo on the road looks like it's ready to do a burn out!

- Limestang

mk-Zero  It’s my birthday!
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Very sweet car! 8)

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

shodog wrote:Looks sweet
Thanks....Im delighted at the way it turned out. The body was actually a mistake on my part when ordering. My original choice of body was the 66 mustang coupe but i accidentally ordered the GT version. Dont worry though...i did get the coupe body so eventually it will go on a DS.

sandkil wrote:A very nice addition to your collection.
Good work!!
Thanks Erik. I really enjoyed running this little car. It was a lot of fun on the parking lot. Hitting or scraping the curb was no fun at all, but at least we managed to keep her running. I dont run lipos but can only imagine how much faster it would be. Now im dying to run the blue camaro, lol.

limestang wrote:Very cool - Love the use of the graphite chassis on a DS. The last photo on the road looks like it's ready to do a burn out!
- Limestang
Thanks, its an original AE woven chassis. I was going to get a new carbon fiber chassis but having an original just made more sense. I did upgrade the shock towers and bumper to carbon.
The above pic was before i i finished her or mounted HPI wheels

mk-Zero wrote:Very sweet car! 8)
Thanks man...that little car was mucho fun. it was worth the hits and scratches it received, lol.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Beautiful VTA racer. I think resto-modded vintage RC cars look a lot better with VTA bodies than current on-road car chassis' do, because the track width is wider and the tires fit the wheel-wells better. With practically all modern on-road cars I've seen, the rear tires are sucked in way too deep inside the wheel-wells and it looks goofy. This Mustang looks realistic.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Coelacanth wrote:Beautiful VTA racer. I think resto-modded vintage RC cars look a lot better with VTA bodies than current on-road car chassis' do, because the track width is wider and the tires fit the wheel-wells better. With practically all modern on-road cars I've seen, the rear tires are sucked in way too deep inside the wheel-wells and it looks goofy. This Mustang looks realistic.
Thanks for the compliment Coelacanth. I feel same way. I got my first DS and mounted a 69 camaro body and the sickness began.

The DS has that width and makes most sense to sport a vintage body. I started collection them and mounting old school bodies whether nitro or electric

5 of my DS's sport the old school muscle car bodies and one sports the 41 willys coupe body. The willys front is a wee bit too wide though...but still works for me...its my sleeper with a .18 engine and geared for high speed.

Im still (slowly) working on others...
Im aiming for a #48 Gan Gurney plymouth cuda, a #77 Sam posey dodge challenger, 1971 Sunoco penske javelin, and a 66 mustang coupe.

Im also aiming for a Tim Allen Home Improvement Saleen Mustang build.

Anyway here is another clip
http://youtu.be/Mj6dikeudSM

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

these hpi bodies are fantastic. so easy to paint as well. the last time I painted a body(late 90's early 2000's) before recently there were no window masks or the plethora of PRE CUT decals. I absolutely loathed painting. I would just cut the body and run it clear just for the protection. now it's cake.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Rootdown4594 wrote:these hpi bodies are fantastic. so easy to paint as well. the last time I painted a body(late 90's early 2000's) before recently there were no window masks or the plethora of PRE CUT decals. I absolutely loathed painting. I would just cut the body and run it clear just for the protection. now it's cake.
I agree...HPI are the easiest bodies to work with. The decals are top notch and add so much detail that its amazing. Ive painted other bodies but the fact that the HPI have the window borders, door handles and emblems just make it that much sweeter.

However I do have one complaint...im not crazy about some of the muscle car bodies that require the rear trunk/bumper area to attached. I can understand the need to do that...i just dont like it.

The 69 Camaro, 70 Challenger, 70 Cuda, 66 Mustang and possibly a few more have that rear end piece that needs attaching.

The 68 Camaro is a full one piece body. NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! :mrgreen:

Still great bodies though!!!

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Well back to the mustangs,

I took these two out on fathers day. Two RC10DS cars. The red mustang is torquey and uses traditional tub chassis. The yellow mustang is geared for higher speed and is mostly carbon fiber.

Sneak peak at new project in the works....DS Lambo.
I used an Nitro DS as a mockup chassis but it will be electric.

Front end of the actual chassis is almost done..

250r
Approved Member

Post by 250r »

Just picked up my first ds its in the mail. Was looking for some help. What offset wheels are you guys running and what width bodies 200mm? Im looking at the firebird vta trans am body wanting to use hpi 31 mm wheels. Thanks

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

250r wrote:Just picked up my first ds its in the mail. Was looking for some help. What offset wheels are you guys running and what width bodies 200mm? Im looking at the firebird vta trans am body wanting to use hpi 31 mm wheels. Thanks
Hey buddy, my apologies...i was following your thread and i didnt see this one get bumped up with your question.

Offset wheels depends on your body.

HPI 69 Camaro im running the HPI vintage wheels 0mm front / 6mm rear

HPI 68 Camaro im running the HPI vintage wheels 6mm front / 6mm rear (you can run them like 69 camaro, i chose wide tires all around)

HPI 70 Barracuda im running modern HPI wheels 3mm front / 9mm rear (the body has a 200mm wide front and a 210mm wide rear) you can use 6mm rear wheels but i was going for a certain look.

HPI 66 Mustang im running HPI vintage wheels 0mm front / 6mm rear

HPI 2005 Mustang im running HPI modern wheels 3mm front / 9mm rear

HPI 70 Challenger has original DS wheels (the body has a 200mm wide front and a 210mm wide rear)

HPI Saleen mustang has original DS wheels

HPI Lamborghini Diablo has original DS wheels. They prove to be too wide so i made convert this car to run HPI modern wheels and may use 0mm to 3mm all around. Im still working on this car.

Parma 1941 Willy coupe is crazy spare parts project car and is still up in the air. its not adhereing to the regular DS tradition but then again you need a black sheep in your bunch :mrgreen:.

At the moment i have mounted a set of aluminum gearhead wheels that have an offset of 6.35mm but the wheel itself is extremely wide as it is a meant to be on a crawler rig and are heavy at 4.4oz each. The HPI pirelli rally tire had to be stretch and were a pain to get on. The wheel proved to wide even for the wide rear barracuda but tucks in nicely under the willy coupe body. i love beadlock wheels as i dont have to glue the tires. these look bad ass for pictures but will need to be swapped for something lighter. This DS is nitro based and has a .18 os engine on it; more than enough to get the spinning but im afraid the brakes will not tolerate the weight. i may go with a set of delrin beadlocks or a set of proline beadlocks. depends on which is lighter and which completes the look.

here is a pic of my crazy willy

thought this looked cool :mrgreen:

If you are going to use the Firebird body get a set of all three 3mm, 6mm, 9mm. That way you can see if the 9mm clear the rear of the body. Thats basically what i did for one of the mustangs and the barracuda.

cant wait to see pics on your thread. good luck!!!