Trinity assembly lube?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DHC6
Approved Member

Trinity assembly lube?

Post by DHC6 »

Ok guys I am almost ready to start my XX kinwald build, just waiting on a few more parts to arrive. I got the trinity aluminum screw kit for the build that came with assembly lube. The last time I built a kit was a long while ago and I don't remember ever using or even knowing what assebly lub was for, mind you the screws were not aluminum.

Can someone explain why and am I supposed to use it on every screw regardless of what ever material the screw is going into. Thanks.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Re: Trinity assembly lube?

Post by LosiXXkid »

DHC6 wrote:Ok guys I am almost ready to start my XX kinwald build, just waiting on a few more parts to arrive. I got the trinity aluminum screw kit for the build that came with assembly lube. The last time I built a kit was a long while ago and I don't remember ever using or even knowing what assebly lub was for, mind you the screws were not aluminum.

Can someone explain why and am I supposed to use it on every screw regardless of what ever material the screw is going into. Thanks.
Some of the composites/ plastics can be quite tough so the lube is to help in 'cutting' the thread. Good practice would be to use a steel screw when doing this, then, once the thread is cut you can substitute in the aluminium screw. If you don't do this there is a chance that you could shear the head off the aluminium screw and then you've got the hassle of trying to remove it.......not good!

However, you shouldn't need to use the lube on some of the softer plastics like the rear bulkhead but I always use Losi's white Teflon grease when assembling turn-buckles as it makes the job much easier.

In the absence of Losi's white grease or Trinity's lube, any white Teflon based grease will work just fine. Like this...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=finish+line+teflon+grease&biw=1366&bih=663&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9ihaVMrZL4LIsAThxoGADw&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#facrc=_&imgdii=qk_sP_3NyLRyCM%3A%3BVhWOygGw74U36M%3Bqk_sP_3NyLRyCM%3A&imgrc=qk_sP_3NyLRyCM%253A%3Be_64RCC5IS7DLM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.nycbicycleshop.com%252F136-223-large%252Fgrease-finish-line-teflon-3oz.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.nycbicycleshop.com%252Flubes-cleaners%252F136-grease-finish-line-teflon-3oz.html%3B300%3B300
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

jwscab

Re: Trinity assembly lube?

Post by jwscab »

if you have those 'special' losi steel screws, you can run them through everything first, then follow with the aluminum screws. At that point, you can add a tiny bit of lube, and it's really not critical what type, even simple mineral oil(like a light bearing oil) is better than nothing. The aluminum screws are quite weak, so reducing the risk of twisting the head off, or rounding out the philips is done with the lube.