How many turns?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MAC10
Approved Member

How many turns?

Post by MAC10 »

I apologize in advance for the generality and newb-ness of a question like this but I don't really have the off-road RC experience to know whats what. I'm going brushless, lipo, etc in an RC10 runner build and I'm ready to order a motor. I will go with a sensored motor but I have no idea what turn count to go with. I want something that will have a good power band for a medium sized indoor dirt track but not so fast its hard to turn it down and / or control it. I've gotta admit though I want it a bit silly fast out in front of the house for fun! The last time I ran this car it had a Nicd pack and an old Twisters brushed motor so I'm not sure how much it would take to impress me? The car will be running a 2.25 stealth and I have 84 & 87 tooth spurs so far. I believe I will use shorty packs. I will also be running the VTS slipper. I was guessing I would go with a 10.5 but I see a lot of builds going with an 8.5.... I realize I will have a learning curve with a hot motor but I don't want to spend good money on a motor thats too mild.

For an esc I'm thinking either the castle mamba or I see the Speed Passion esc mentioned around here with favorable results.

Again sorry for the generality but I think any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: How many turns?

Post by Coelacanth »

You sound exactly like I did several years ago when I got back into the hobby. I then restored my car (Optima) with a very fast brushed motor from back in the day, a mystery black can motor that looked like a 14T wind. It was fun for a bit, zooming up and down the street, but after I'd done all that work to restore the car, I was afraid to run into a parked car tire or the curb and destroy it. I learned later through calculations involving gear ratios and rollout that my estimated top speed might've been about 35 or 38 mph. Needless to say, the car was barely controllable at that speed.

A modern brushless 13.5T motor and 7.4V LiPo puts out more RPM, power & torque than that old 14T brushed motor, by far. A properly bulletproofed drivetrain can handle that power and more, but the question becomes: If you can't control the power, and you're afraid of destroying the car the whole time you're driving it...is that really enjoyment?

The fastest motor I run on a 2S LiPo is an 11.5T in Barney, and even with the punch dialed down, it can pull a wheelie while rolling. I chose a 12T system for OptiMutt. I don't think I'd want to go much further than that--but it's certainly easy & possible!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

ive got a older novak gtb with a novak sensored brushless motor .. im thinking 13.5 in my rc10t3 on a tight indoor carpet track and if my slipper is too tight im doing wheelys around the track .. plenty fast enought

if your going to race then stop by the track and ask for the rules as it sucks to find out youve spent money on parts you cant race with

popboy905
Approved Member

Post by popboy905 »

I would suggest a 10.5, and if u need more u can mess with timing or gearing

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Thanks for the replies, I did wind up ordering a 10.5. It sounds like it'll have all the potential I could want, I figure I can gear it 'slow', see how it runs and go from there.