Repairing Carbon Chassis

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Racerx336

Repairing Carbon Chassis

Post by Racerx336 »

Got a carbon tub coming that is in great shape but one of the holes for the front arm mount is slightly torn away. I know I have seen a thread on here somewhere where a fusion speed or fiber lyte chassis with the same damage was repaired but I cannot find it at all. Can anyone shed some light on the materials used and any tips or tricks? Thanks!

harvey
Approved Member

Re: Repairing Carbon Chassis

Post by harvey »

I have not seen pics of a repaired chassis that looks race worthy, maybe someone has pics? I know some have used a plate to reinforce the chassis after a cosmetic repair is done to the carbon. (carbon fiber relies on long, intact fibers embedded in epoxy for it's strength, and there is no way to replace broken fibers without changing the dimensions of the part) This could be a thin piece of metal with the 7 holes for the front end to mount through, maybe like a 1/16" in stainless or such. The plate could sit on top of the chassis and under the arm mounts, and should take the abuse of the screws wanting to pull out the side of the chassis. You can then you can use epoxy to fill the hole before re-countersinking. This will bump the front suspension up the thickness of the shim, but you could always machine a sliver off the bottom of the arm mounts to restore the geometry; 1/16" less material probably won't cause a failure.

I have been thinking about repairing the rear end of my fusion speed chassis in this manner, but haven't gotten around to it. Sorta wish when I got it cheap in '08 I hadn't beat on it so hard; I don't think they're known for durability.

Great score anyway, let us know how you do with the repair!

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

This one? Cut it down to fit a 10t bulkhead and throw a rpm worlds front & rear kit on it. Problem solved. :P
Attachments
fusion speed.JPG
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

Racerx336

Post by Racerx336 »

Was thinking about cutting it down too, just need a truck nose plate to trace. And yes, thats the one. Anyone know the history of Buffalo Composites? Coming up empty handed on that search too....

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Back when i was restoring a lot of graphite chassis I would use 3M Automix Panel Bonding adhesive. Here's one:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3827

The other fusion tub I have the front kick-up was really trashed. So I narrowed that one up to save a whole lot of hassle. I don't think yours is bad enough to go that route.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22877

Racerx336

Post by Racerx336 »

Thanks Scr8p. I'm actually an estimator at a body shop and panel bond was the first thing that came to mind!

Really thinking about cutting this one down though. One of our local track owners and I get to talking about RC10 stuff and he fondly remembers a prototype carbon tub car he tested and raced with that had the truck arm mount and longer arms that was just unstoppable at the nats maybe? Might go that direction. ....

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Cutting the nose completely off and replacing it with a standard aluminum buggy (or truck) nose plate is also an option. The end result is clean and plenty strong.

I had two Fusion Speed tub chassis way back when. They were awesome for bragging rights and bling but that's about it. I wished I had saved my money!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

that particular chassis is in such nice shape it would be a shame to cut the nose to make it a truck, especially if it's a buffalo composite chassis which would make it even more rare than fusion or fibre lyte.

I would do like mentioned with a sheet of stainless as the backer and repair with the 3M adhesive.

it's funny, I saw that in my ebay feed and clicked on it to look at it, and I accidentally hit the 'place in cart' button. I thought about it for about 10 seconds before emptying my cart.

Racerx336

Post by Racerx336 »

jwscab wrote:that particular chassis is in such nice shape it would be a shame to cut the nose to make it a truck, especially if it's a buffalo composite chassis which would make it even more rare than fusion or fibre lyte.

I would do like mentioned with a sheet of stainless as the backer and repair with the 3M adhesive.

it's funny, I saw that in my ebay feed and clicked on it to look at it, and I accidentally hit the 'place in cart' button. I thought about it for about 10 seconds before emptying my cart.
Definitely understand where you're coming from and i may just repair it. It will be a shelfer so I'm not super worried about the strength in that area.

Do you have any more info on Buffalo Composites?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

no, sorry, I just have heard that term before, but not much else.