What Vintage battery connectors are still available today..?

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Stumpy
Approved Member

What Vintage battery connectors are still available today..?

Post by Stumpy »

I have just replaced the wiring on some of my old ESC's, so I'm now looking for some vintage battery connectors to finish them off..

These ESC's will be going into my 6 gear Graphite, Caddy Gold Tub, and RPM Team Car Conversion..

So what Vintage connectors are still available??

I know that you can still get the cheap and nasty Tamiya Molex connectors, but I would like to keep these as a last resort..

I looked on eBay and found quite a few listings for Sermos/Anderson Power Poles, but I'm not sure what current rating was used for our RC electronics.. (You can get 15Amp, 30 Amp and 45 Amp)..

Are there any other vintage options??

Cheers

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: What Vintage battery connectors are still available toda

Post by RC10th »

Sermos/Power Pole, Deans, Bullet connectors and direct solder. You can still get the AE type equivalent to Tamiya/Molex connectors.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Here are some options at Tower Hobbies. Deans (two styles, and the Duratrax Powerpoles look like one of the vintage battery connectors, can't remember the name. If you go with the Tamiya style, I recommend upgrading to the gold pins and buy a good crimping tool. Hope this helps.
Mark

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDKA7&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHGL9&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD176&P=ML

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Stumpy
Approved Member

Post by Stumpy »

Thanks for the quick replies..

The durability of the connectors is not any great concern, as I only want these connectors to complete the radio gear install in some of my shelfers/display cars. but I would like them to be period correct..

It is good to learn that I can still get the old 4 pin Deans connectors, as it does give me another option.. I used these for a short time on my Novak T4 ESC, but got rid of them after I connected a battery reverse polarity and blew the ESC..

I've been trying to remember what battery/ESC connectors that I used on my RC10 and other cars when I raced them in the late 80's/early 90's.. All that I can remember me having from that time (other than the Deans) is Tamiya Connectors..

I do like how that there is no male or female connector with the Power Poles, but they are big and bulky, and I don't remember seeing that many people using them in Australia BITD.. This is why I don't really know the correct size or current rating that I should be looking for, or if the 15A, 30A and 45A Power Poles all use the same plastic outer shell, and if its just the metal terminal inside that is different.... I may need to do some more research on this one..

I didn't start using Deans Ultra (T Plugs) and "Corally" connectors (4mm Bullets) until I started racing again in the late 90's, and I still use these today on all of my runners..

Can anyone remember when the Deans Ultra, and the Corally bullet connectors were released??

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Stumpy
Approved Member

Post by Stumpy »

I've sent an email to Anderson Australia asking them about their Power Pole connectors.. They list them as being $1.66 AUD for a single red and black connector.. The other option is getting some clones from China on eBay..

I think that I will just get some cheap Tamiya connectors off eBay, and that should do me for now.. As I said, they are just for show, and wont be used..

I'm quite sure that RC Car Action did a write up of the different connectors available back in the late 80's / early 90's.. I should go in and see if I can find it..

I also remember RCCA doing a write up around the same time on matched batteries, and what the numbers mean which may be of interest to you Dan..

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

From personal experience, I use mostly Deans.... but in cases where I wanted to or needed to use Tamiya connectors, there is a trick:

Before you put the connectors together, and after you crimp the connectors, run some solder through the crimp area. I have found that doing this makes for a much better connection, and removes some of the heat build-up in the connector itself (due to just crimping the wires). I still wouldn't guarantee this for high current work (like I said, I run Deans for that), but for a little bit of running / light duty racing, this tip may prove useful.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »