A '91 Stealth RC10 project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fredswain
Approved Member

Re: A '91 Stealth RC10 project

Post by fredswain »

Here's another.
Attachments
2%20all%20parts%20spread.jpg
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

It looks like shims on that axle. Probably just the stock 6220 axle.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Oh how much fun it would have been to work in AE's R&D department especially during that time. What a dream job!! :D
Thanks for the photos Fred. Please post more if you can. I'm having so much fun with this '91 car that I think I'll want to try the '89 car next.

That's what I thought scr8p but, in this photo, it looks like the axle and flange are one piece. It could just be the oil and grime that's making it appear as one piece. Either way, it's not a big deal, I have some 5/16 bar stock so I'll turn them on the lathe.
Attachments
STEERING1.jpg
STEERING1.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
STEERING1.jpg
STEERING1.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
Doug

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Just my .02 but I still think that’s a wide shim. There seems to be a slight void where it is up against the steering arm, plus that would make the steering arm hole really thin. In the first pic it looks like two shims
Attachments
E482A2C0-AB73-4315-BE0E-595A0E784D21.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Thanks GoMachV for your 2 cents.
Well you guys certainly know a lot more about this than I do. If such a part had existed, I'm confident that at least one of you would have known about it.
So, a standard production axle with separate shims it is!
FWIW, I was thinking the axle might have looked something like this
Attachments
mystery axle.jpg
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I’ve been spending time at the lathe lately and managed to turn all the parts that are needed for both cars. The replica’s front axles incorporate the shim washers and the runner’s front axles are offset (lengthened) to accept B4 wheels. As I setup and ran the parts, I’ve noticed a difference in the overall quality between the first part and the last (especially noticeable on the upper deck stays – I guess practice makes perfect or just better in my case) so I’ll use the first parts for the runner and save the better ones for the replica.
P1010091.JPG
I’ve sourced some 1/8” aluminum rod and a #4-40 left hand thread die to make turnbuckles for the replica. Since this car is just for display, I don’t feel the need to use titanium. I’ll make that car’s hinge pins from the same material.
P1010090.JPG
For the runner’s battery mounts, I’ve decided to go a different direction and that's what these parts are for.
battery stays.jpg
I won’t be using battery cups for this car; just a single strap, posts and thumbscrews. The typical 91 Stealth rear bulkhead modification will be altered slightly in order to preserve the corners of its battery pocket (I’ll cut a gap in the top of the pocket to accommodate the strap). The front of the battery strap will be held by posts and thumbscrews. I realize that this will limit any future re-positioning of the battery for track tuning, but I tend not to move my batteries anyway. If I were to race on a high-grip clay or carpet track I probably would want to be able to move the battery forward to reduce under-steer but I run on loose dirt so I think the battery can remain where it is (I can always add weights up front if necessary). I think, by eliminating the battery cups, this makes the car a little cleaner and simpler.
battery strap1.jpg
battery strap2.jpg
So, now it’s on to plate parts for the runner. True to the '91 car, I'm going to make the upper deck from 1/16" stock. If I manage to break it, I'll re-make it from thicker material.
Doug

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

Lathe work looks first rate :D

Did you use aluminum 4-40 nuts on the turnbuckles? How did you attach them?
I'm sourcing parts and hoping to get a chassis set from Jake once they are ready. :D

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Thanks. The photos are terrible; the parts actually look smoother than they appear in the photos. I'd decreased the dept of cut and adjusted the speed and feed rate on the final pass to give the parts a fine surface finish. That small pile of parts took me an insane number of hours to turn. If I had to earn a living as a machinist, I would be starving. :lol:

I've searched online for aluminum 4-40 nuts but was unsuccessful so I just used zinc plated steel ones instead. I ran the RH threads about .100" longer than the LH (thickness of the nut) so the effective thread engagement available for the ball cup would be the same for both ends. I just used thread locker to secure the nuts. Again, the turnbuckles are made for a static display model not for a runner so I think they'll work okay.

Are you building a runner and do you have a particular theme in mind? I'm thinking about attempting the Masami car for the replica and something different for the runner -- maybe Cliff's car if I'm able to find more photos, not sure.
Doug

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

^^XLR

I will be building replica, but not of any particular car, so far I have cut out a rear bulkhead in a Kinwald style leaving the stock associated wing tubes. I'll see how it all plays out.

Turning parts takes forever. I embarked on a similar project of Schumacher C-car. 1st 2D CAD then 3D model, turned some parts and 3D printed others. All this took about 4 months, and eventually I ended up buying 2 more complete cars and another in parts... So the project has been abandoned since I have too many cars now :D

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

A Kinwald themed runner would be my second choice if I don't end up doing the Cliff car. I already have an extra body, paint, graphics, sticker sets, etc from doing a couple Kinwald Worlds cars so I wouldn't need to buy anything. So, what would a Kinwald style bulkhead look like?
Doug

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Superb parts man. I really like those thumbscrews!
Bum on Direct Deposit

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

XLR8 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:28 pm So, what would a Kinwald style bulkhead look like?
Something like this.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Awesome! Thank you!
I can see in this photo with Roger that the cars left AE with wing tubes so it seems (perhaps) that Mr. Hirosaka preferred to hang his wing from the shock tower so that might explain the extra modifications made to his car's bulkhead. The photos I've found of his teammate's cars show the rear of the body intact which suggests that they opted not to modify their wing mounts. Anyway, fortunately I haven't yet altered either of the bulkheads I bought for this project.

Is it just me or did Masami deliberately strive to incorporate as many Yokomo parts as possible on his AE car? He used Yok wheels (and adapters), tires, preload clips, wing mounts and undertray (what have I missed?). If so then I guess it stands to reason given his long term and close association with Yokomo.
Attachments
RC wrenching Stealths.jpg
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

NomadRacer wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:07 pm Superb parts man. I really like those thumbscrews!
Thank you Nomad. Yeah, I kinda though you might enjoy those. :D
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Main chassis for the runner is finished. I was thinking about dropping it off at Windsor Powder Coating here in town (I use them for my vintage bike restorations - they do excellent work) but then I decided to just run it as is since it'll get scratched anyway. Besides, that would slow the project down and I really want to keep moving forward.
Attachments
P1010091.JPG
P1010085.JPG
Doug