Shall I or shan't I?...

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jools
Approved Member

Shall I or shan't I?...

Post by Jools »

Haven't been on here for quite a while. Life gets in the way eh?
When I was gathering bits to build my 2 Procats and a Cougar, this came along. I didn't want to break it for parts because it was an original 'barn-find'.
(Coming from a classic bike restoration background, I hate to see a near original near complete thing broken for parts).

So rather than restore it and update the equipment etc, I thought I'd just refurbish it to 'period' specs, eg, keep the old analogue speed controller, use a nicad pack, maybe even AM radio etc.

What do you think?

DennisM
Approved Member

Re: Shall I or shan't I?...

Post by DennisM »

The MSC and mount on Your Procat is Tamiya and never came with this buggy.
The Procat is pure racebreed and mounting a std. Mabuchi and Tamiya MSC is an outrageous disgrace :lol:
So unless having an emotional attachment to the original owner, I´d take it out and store it as far away from the Procat as possible :D
With the release of the Masami XLS there´s a number of spares available, which can be used on the Procat, including the rare front bumpers.

The BossCat on the other hand, was found in a sports version which sported a standard 540 can and Tamiya MSC with a modyfied mount that also held the resistor.
Gone fishing

Jools
Approved Member

Post by Jools »

Ah that's interesting Dennis, - suitably admonished I shall indeed rip that evil Tamiya MSC out and banish it deep down in a box somewhere! :wink:
(Though the motor looks like a very standard basic Mabuchi can).
Useful to know about Masami XLS spares, especially that elusive front bumper, -I need 2 of 'em.
I may try to get a period ESC, perhaps an old Tekin or similar for it though. And a hotter period donk would be good too.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

very nice looking schumacher. Should clean up nicely.

The MSC thing is actually worse than the rc10 with the traxxas gear I have show up regularly so yeah, like Dennis said, as far away as possible :wink:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Jools
Approved Member

Post by Jools »

Can anyone tell me roughly how similar the Masami XLS is to the the Procat? How many parts might be common.
From the parts exploded diagram they look very very similar, but there may be small variations. I can spend some time matching part numbers I guess.
Comes as a bit of a revelation :oops: really, - when I built my Procats (out of cruddy lumps mainly) this Masami wasn't around, and I wasted so much time scrounging around for Procat parts.
Now I can just go to the Schu shop!
Anyway, I'll be looking for a period ESC and motor.
(I'm secretly relieved really that I don't have to use that MSC, I remember too well back in the day repeatedly repairing my son's Hot Shot MSC which had a propensity for melting!)
Thanks for the advice boys.
-Jools