Modern R/C models forum addition

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Modern R/C models forum addition

Post by Lowgear »

Spending the last few days moving topics around, I've noticed an abundance of what can be considered non-vintage discussions. I'd really like to have a catch-all place it can be contained in rather than scattered all over in an effort to keep it out of the Vintage side of things.

My question is what year (period) should be the cutoff between vintage and modern?

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: Modern R/C models forum addition

Post by RC10th »

I would say B3/T3 keep vintage and B4/T4 onwards modern
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

That's what I assumed as it's been discussed on here before but wanted to make sure we're mainly all in agreement.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Alright, I've created the new forum to stick all the "modern" stuff in. It's currently hidden but will be made live soon.

We're going to need all members help with finding the topics related to modern (post 2000) R/C vehicles. When you come across one, flag it by reporting the first post of the topic. It will then notify us so we can move it into the new forum. Thanks!

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

I would suggest capping "vintage" with the B4/B44/T4 as those are the last non-metric models.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

templeofspeed wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:52 am I would suggest capping "vintage" with the B4/B44/T4 as those are the last non-metric models.
That only works if we are talking AE. Everyone else was metric long before and after the B4. Truth is vintage designation is moving as time marches on. We need Antique, Vintage, Sort of Vintage and Modern. With the shift to modern mid engine one could argue that anything non mid engine is Vintage.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

I was actually speaking specifically about AE products. I'll go back in my hole...

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

templeofspeed wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:01 pm I was actually speaking specifically about AE products. I'll go back in my hole...
I totally get what you are saying don't get me wrong, I am kind of an AE fan boy only up to B4 for the reason you note. Its arbitrary of course but in my head a way I think of "old AE", sticking with the SAE fasteners. Had things not gone mid engine, we'd probably still be running B4's competitively or any number of other 2wd buggies since the design had been pretty well refined.

I expect the same to happen soon with the current mid engine crop, then we will see what the next big thing is, no engine with small nuclear reactor is my guess for the ultimate low center of gravity. LIPO fires will seem so trivial once these bad boys get going :D :D

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

You both have valid points. That's why I wanted to get a dialog going about it as it's not a cut and dried scenario. The cutoff point can be a bit of a grey area.

RCveteran wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:26 am Truth is vintage designation is moving as time marches on.
This is why I don't necessarily like the term 'vintage' as it's ever expanding. A decade from now I don't want to be talking about T-Maxxes. If it comes to that though to keep going so be it but we'll cross that bridge if the time comes. Vintage is more or less just a buzzword now that everyone uses to denote old R/C stuff. We use it here as it's generally known to others what you're talking about. Using the term 'period' would be the more accurate word to use. So to niche ourselves even further, we're a 'period' R/C message board. We mainly discuss any R/C model produced prior to the millennium.

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

I’m probably the least qualified member here to make a statement on this, but, from my point of view, my age group (I’m 46 now) pretty much defines vintage RC (or period RC if you prefer).
Anything from this century is, (again) from my perspective), modern.
Frankly, much of the 90s aren’t vintage to me either.
Regarding the cut off, and looking at the RC10 line in particular, I make a distinction at the end of the aluminum pan era. What is that, 1995?
As an exercise, I looked at the Tamiya line, since they’re an emblem of vintage RC. The first 100 were released before 92. Were any of the 200 series ever as emblematic or memorable?
I know this is all very egotistical, and I don’t want to exclude anyone’s car arbitrarily. I’m happy to share a forum with any car...except a T-Maxx,...or a Red Cat, ...or a HaoBao,...or an X-Ray...
Chris

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Since there seems to be no real definitive year as to where the line should be placed, I think a good answer is for members to use their best judgement. The grey area seems to span between 2000-2003. For example if you have an RC10B4 and you consider it 'vintage,' place your topic in the RC10 buggy forum. If you consider it a 'modern' buggy, place it in the new 'modern' forum. This is just being done to organize things a little better. After moving hundreds of topics over the last few days, I realized there was a surprising number of topics discussing current stuff. Like short course trucks and the like. Instead of scattered all throughout the board, I thought it would be nicer if it was grouped together in one place. Since talking about it can't be avoided, it might as well be embraced to an extent. I'm not trying to stop those who want to talk about other facets of the hobby along with the 'vintage' side, I'm trying to make it easier! :)

Now comes the part of figuring out a good name to call the forum these topics will be placed in...

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Post by Mark Westerfield »

For r/c off-road...

1. Pre RC10 (trailing arm, solid axle design)technology, rough track days, Antique.
2. RC10 until Losi XX buggy, a revolution in suspension design, tire design, and improved race track conditions in the hobby - Vintage.
3. Losi XX Buggy to end of NiCd/brushed motor, beginning of Brushless/Lipo, further refining of suspension and tire technology, production techniques, and race track conditions, Retro.
4. Cars designed during Brushless/LiPO era, another revolution in chassis design due to changing motor, battery, and tire technology, and ultra high grip track conditions, Modern.

The RC10 and XX are just examples of the change in the hobby, not necessarily the defining exact moment, because each manufacturer evolved their technology at different paces to keep up with the competition.