Yo-clone-oh Dogfighter

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Yo-clone-oh Dogfighter

Post by Dadio »

While the weather is crap I've designed the mono shock cantilever mount for the gearbox , it may even be strong enough to use ! , kids are on the PC so I'll post pictures later as I hate using a tablet for that .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The new one way roller hub/knuckle assembly with unmodified Kyosho Scorpion 2014 rear axles , it adds 3mm track on each side so the car is 6 mm wider , im printing the rear Scorpion axle compatible hubs with additional width to match the front.
And here's the rear Mono Shock Cantilever mount , sorry about the hodge podge of screws i need to get more , always more .
I'm fairly happy with the way it mounts but it will probably be only for shelf or light use , I'm planning on a stronger version that has a yoke on the ends for mounting the bell cranks and the same for shock mountings on the bell cranks .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Rear hubs for Scorpion axes.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I really really really think I'm printing the final version of the gearbox that is compatible with the stock and Kyosho diff's , can mount the mono shock bracket and has had a host of other minor changes to improve bearing fit and reduce post process work , I have made one more deviation to the stock design in the motor mounting points , on the stock gearbox the motor plate is only screwed into the right side of the gearbox , this was allowing the motor mounting points to flex so I've made them go into the left side of the gearbox as well , pictures later .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I was hoping these parts would be easily modded to make the front central drive axle and outdrives but the outdrives are too large
new bits
old bits
comparison
the pictures looked so promising but alas not to be , i could make a cup liner to reduce the bore and pin slot but its kind of a bodge , it could work though , if i made the slot reduction only one side it would not mater as the one way drive would mean there was never load on it .... i have another pair of outdrives coming that i hope could be better but i still need to find an axle with the right size cup .... it goes on .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I've been having printer grief so I'm taking a stress break but i just thought I'd catch you up on stuff .
This is the final version gearbox with optional mono shock mount .The mount is a draft print so its a little rough but you get the idea .
These are the jigs for modifying the front spool and creating the axle for gear 2 that has a cross pin and screw hole to drive the chain sprocket .
First the front spool jig . You insert the spool , place the lower part in a a vice , then cut flush with the far end , file the flat on the cut away section and lastly drill a 2.5 mm hole through the guide hole in order to tap an M3 thread to fit the front sprocket .
Second is the 5 mm axle for gear 2 that needs two 2.5 mm holes drilled for the gear cross pin and the M3 hole for the rear chain sprocket , again you insert the 5 mm steel rod and clamp in a vice and cut flush with the jig end then drill the two 2.5 mm holes through the guide holes and then tap the one for the sprocket .
Lastly i found a part that can be modified easily to make half of the front spool , it just needs a hole re-drilled from 3.5 mm to 5 mm , otherwise its virtually exactly the same other than a larger set screw thread size and that's a good thing in my book ! sorry about the lousy pictures , its on the left , the one on the right it a very worn and damaged original , its from the FTX Vantage and easy to find part No FTX6273 , its surface hardened but it drilled easy enough , i did it on a lath but i can easily make a drill jig if needed as it does need to be drilled true or i guess i could mod them as its very quick and easy but that bumps the price ....

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Got back to modeling new parts , firstly the rest of the rear mono shock suspension components , all yet to be tested but I think I've got a workable setup , secondly I modeled the stock roll hoop , the roll hoop will never be strong enough to mount twin rear shocks but it should be fine as a roll over bar and body mount like on the original mono shock version car

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I think this should work , I've made two types of mount , a stock type for the shelf only as its too flimsy and a strong version that has an upper deck shown fitted to the car , testing begins now on this new mount and bell cranks , the bell cranks are probably stronger and more rigid than the stock items .
Here's the shelf version
Almost forgot , that's the printed roll bar as well

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Rear mono shock suspension works well , it really ruins the jumping characteristics though just like the original , I've been driving the twin rear shock Delta like setup for most of my testing and the balance is so much better when jumping but the parts for the mono setup are all good to go .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

OK its time to take orders , I'm afraid I've withdrawn the gear set temporarily as I'm having more trouble with them .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Final revisions to the gears seem to be working well and the Kyosho diff adapter ring has held up perfectly so that's going on the list and the front one way hubs are working quite well , the first ones were not tight enough and the one way bearings started to spin in the hubs , the new tighter fitting hubs can be forced to slip but don't seem to degenerate and become loose , unfortunately I don't think there a glue that would really help stick stainless steel to nylon so they have to rely on being a tight fit , since returning to one way hubs up front I've had no trouble with the chain sprockets , my guess is that direct drive with no diff or one ways just puts too much strain on the sprockets .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

A little footage (not good as driving and filming is not easy sorry) of a test run with the Kyosho diff and mono shock rear end
[youtube]https://youtu.be/KWZbKJiqNdM[/youtube]

atomic-carbon
Approved Member

Post by atomic-carbon »

Hi Dadio, could you let me know what make of CF Nylon you are using?, i use CF petg but still breaking parts, i have been through the same pain of making items from PLA then changing to stronger materials as you break them :) i have upgraded my Ender 3 to a all metal hot end so i should be able to print cf nylon hopefully.

If you need a UK alternative to shapeways let me know, i use a UK company that is a lot cheaper and the quality is very good.

Btw i use a printbite build plate which i have found very good but you need a very level bed. Prints just pop off once the bed has cooled.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I'm using Esun EPA- CF , its about £50 per kilo , it prints really easily compared to plain nylon or PETG , parts don't warp or peel at the edges as the CF keeps them rigid, you don't even need an enclosure like plain nylon or ABS although id try and prevent a draft over the bed , a little Elmer's washable glue stick on the bed and a bed temp of 90°C , hot end at 260°C , most stuff doesn't even need a brim although I use a raft for gears as it stops elephants foot and its a pain to remove from gears , I'd recommend drying it before using it even though it comes sealed , 75°C for 3 hours then store it in a sealed container , I've made a sealed spool holder with a coupling and Bowden tube to take the filament right to the extruder to keep it as dry as possible , its also very easy in post process to clean up , I've pretty much given up on PETG as its still brittle on impact so no good for off road rc unless you massively over design the part .
Since I've been using the CF Nylon I've yet to break a trailing arm or front suspension arm , in fact the only things I've had breakages in were the C hubs so I use plain nylon for them and that's solved it , the gears I had to completely redesign because previous materials were so unreliable dimensionally that I had to print oversize to overcome shrinkage but the CF nylon barely shrinks at all , in many ways its easier to print with than PLA !

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

This afternoon really has felt like the fruition of this project ! No development parts being tested , nothing broke or needed tweaking , jus two packs back to back of " drivin it like I printed it ! " :lol: I'd never dream of ripping into my original car like that , just driving it like one of my modern bashers , exactly what I wanted , the authentic feel of driving a vintage Dogfighter but with the complete abandon of holding back 8)
Might be time for a new body,tires and a fancy chassis !