Jamie Booth 1986 euro's replica

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bluewormx
Approved Member

Jamie Booth 1986 euro's replica

Post by bluewormx »

I've been wanting to do a replica of this car for a long time, probably since I was a kid and saw this car in Radio Race car UK.
This car was a classic underdog story 10th place at the Euro's the only 2WD car in the A final. (EFRA did not separate the categories until 1988).
After much inspiration from the excellent replicas I have seen on this forum, and 3 years searching for a half decent photo of the car...

I think I am about ready to get started. I've been searching for parts for this for a few years. It is not easy the UK market is allot smaller than the US and some parts are really hard to source others impossible.
I have pretty much given up on the bodyshell, It was all sold out in 1986. I have only ever seen two in person and that was back in 1986.
I have even spoken to Jamie Booth about it and he said it was designed by a guy called Vaughn White, and was sold as the DEMON Low profile. IIRC it was sold in standard weight and in light weight lexan.
Jamie_booth_rc10.jpg
with the body.
JamieBoothRC10-1.jpg
JamieBoothRC10-1.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
JamieBoothRC10-1.jpg
JamieBoothRC10-1.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
Other hard to find Items:

Rear tyres = Playtron block, given to Jamie by Mike Reedy. I had a set that I was given by a former team Demon driver, those are long gone now... I have found a pretty nice looking substitute which looks as if it was made by the same company, doesn't say "Playtron" on the side but otherwise the same. (I hope they are in the mail)!

Speed control = Demon Fetish, I got hold of a Demon Proking and converted it by removing the reverse function.

Servo = Futaba 131-s or an 131-sh I have an extra 131-s so that is being used.

Receiver = standard Futaba R102GS with blue heatshrink on it.

Motor = Reedy modified silver dot 2x21 (blue/green label). I should have this on the way shortly.

bumper = JG large red kydex bumper. on its way.

Rear shock tower = Composite craft. I had to hand cut one from black G10. I have an original but it’s on another build :(

Various other bits and bobs.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Jamie Booth 1986 euro's replica

Post by GoMachV »

The kickup looks insane on that one!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

1960D516-5B13-4CF2-B836-23F63088F8CB.jpeg
GoMachV wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:09 pm The kickup looks insane on that one!
It does! Mine ended up like that because I hacked up my RC10 just like this back in 1987 and eh well I crashed allot. :?

I suspect Jamie did that on purpose since his brand new RC10 that he ran at the 1987 worlds also has that crazy kick up.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

What's interesting is that the car is fitted with some very aggressive front tires (presumably to increase steering response) yet it also has increased kick-up angle (and caster angle??) and a front anti-roll bar - both of which can effectively reduce steering response.
Anyway, just an observation.
Regarding the body shell, maybe someone here can help you with that. Hope so.
This is going to be an interesting build. Thanks for posting it here. :D
Doug

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

Most of the racing in Europe at the time was on grass. Grass tracks often turned to dirt especially on the corners. the Tamiya supershot tyres worked very well until they became forgotten when Schunacher launched the CAT in late 1986, an it’s tyres.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

Here is the nose plate, cut up... :twisted:

A little extra kick up ~10 deg, making it 40!!!

The Chassis has already gone under the knife too !
1/2” shorter also.
0D69FEA8-7462-4689-9759-6AA8A6297412.jpeg
Attachments
7F1241B4-5FB2-42DB-827F-69C832B2D90C.jpeg

nicholasdivitto
Approved Member

Post by nicholasdivitto »

Oh man, wouldn't wanna be the marshal to be hit in the shin with that...
My current vintage racing lineup: Associated RC10 B2, RC10 Team Car, Losi XXT, XX4, XFactory X5, Schumacher CAT 2000 www.moto-obscura.com

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

nicholasdivitto wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:15 pm Oh man, wouldn't wanna be the marshal to be hit in the shin with that...
Big red bumper :D (same colour as the table) They where mandatory until 1989 i believe.
JG_bumper.png

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Would the increased caster angle / kick help the steering response coming back to straight line on acceleration out of the corners? Maybe part of reason? Dunno, just a thought. I guess it would also provide for exceptional straight line stability as well. With all that front bite it might offset the understeer a bit also.

My only experience on grass was with the old Blackfoot back in '88 or thereabouts.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Absolutely loving this thread already - having looked over that very race review many many times as a kid. Seeing that pciture of Jamie's RC10 brings back plenty of early racing memories for me.

I just dug out and re-read the Model Cars Monthly race review from the '86 Euros having seen this. From what was written the 4wd drivers were basically bullying the 2wd contenders out of the way in the corners and there was a fight to maintain parity in that area.... suppose that might go some way to explain the aggressive front tyre choice seen here. There were complaints made about the driving standards at that meeting as a result. Looking at the track pictures the grass virtually vanished and there ended up being large areas of exposed and hard-packed dirt. Pretty much the usual European off-road track of the period!

I have raced a 2wd car against all 4wd competition, and i too chose a Reedy Silver Dot. I would lose out in the infield, but blister everything down the straight; the pick-up was quite unreal.

No doubt you are aware already, but the Playtron block tyres were standard edition on the 4wd Lynx and the 2wd Doberman cars.... some available here if you don't mind buying a car to get the right ones:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Playtron-Doberman-1-10-2WD-R-C-Off-Road-Buggy-Vintage-80-s-Tamiya-Kyosho-/143019637023

I will be subscribing to this thread. If you need anyhelp getting any of the decals made, give me a shout 8)
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

Thanks Dinglem, It would be a shame to buy that Doberman just to remove the tyres, Really its just too expensive! :lol:

I'm waiting for a set of tyres from a Monogram lightning they look identical "off road" on the side and are brand new, the original kyosho scorpion tyres are practically identical also, except they have "goodyear" on the side. Most of my projects are never ending parts will be upgraded when found. :D

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

I'd need a pair of those correct rear tyres to complete the replica... no pressure!!!! :lol:

I'll keep an eye out myself. They will turn up eventually.

I have also just had a look over some old Demon adverts and found reference to the RC10 bodyshells as well, although the scan quality is shocking. I will try to find a better copy of it.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

Small update...
30DD65DD-8CF9-45DD-8B58-E6F5D17F9F03.jpeg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

EPIC!!

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

dinglem wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:32 pmEPIC!!
Thanks!
The speed controller is the one I got of you a couple of years ago, I converted it into a Fetish. :D