Digging Two Decades Deep Into The Storage Unit - Compatibility Question

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jroushkolb

Digging Two Decades Deep Into The Storage Unit - Compatibility Question

Post by jroushkolb »

Good morning! With my contract not being renewed and the job market sucking, I've finally found the time to dig out my old R/C gear and get it back up and running.

I had already repurposed my battery packs for another hobby (they also make AMAZING power supplies for off-camera flash guns) so I'm going to be replacing all of that, but I wanted to try and re-use as much of the existing gear that I have. I did a quick search, but I wanted to see if I could ask all of the questions I have in one spot. :-)

My primary rig is an RC-10 Team Car (#6035)
- Novak T-4 ESC
- Futaba FP-R102JE receiver/FP-T2P transmitter
- Futaba FP-S128 servo
- B&R Motor Works Magnum motor (Stock per mid-90s, unknown turns)

I've found the OLD instruction manual for the ESC which indicates a 12-volt max on that, but will I run into any issues using LiPo batteries instead of NiMH?

And my current plan is to use the current motor to get reacquainted with the feel of driving remotely, and then exploring an upgrade. I know that older brushed motors required the addition of the micro capacitors to prevent radio interference; are newer brushed motors subject to the same issue? What about brushless motors; is the technology compatible with the older ESC technology, or should I plan on an upgrade there as well?

Similarly, have there been significant enough upgrades in the control technology to warrant an upgrade to any part of that system? (I'm particularly interested in FCC concerns - can I still use the older crystal-based setup, or has that area of the spectrum been auctioned off, like that for Wireless PA systems?)

Thanks!
John Roushkolb

RS Chris
Approved Member

Re: Digging Two Decades Deep Into The Storage Unit - Compatibility Question

Post by RS Chris »

A battery is a battery to an esc. As long as you stay within the voltage limit a LIPO will work fine. However you will need to install a cutoff meter between the battery and the esc to avoid damaging the battery. You will also need a charger that can handle Lipo charging also.

As for the motor, a newer brushed motor will benefit from installing capacitors just like the older ones. If you plan to go brushless you will definitely need a matching esc. Brushless motors have a three wire connection so an old speed controller won't be compatible.

For your radio gear concerns I'm not too sure about FCC when it comes to surface radio stuff. Might have to do some deeper digging to find out on that. 2.4 GHz stuff is fairly cheap depending on brand and model you choose. Futaba has a few entry level radios, the 3PKRA and 3PV. Lots of other new brands have comparable models as well, just have to find one with the looks you like.
Current:RC10T, T3 FT, GT Blue Tub, GT FT, GT2 FT, GT5, RC28, SC28, Micro RS4.

Previous:B2, B3, B3 FT, 10T pink chassis, GT FT, TC3, TC3 FT, RS4MT
Tamiya TA02, Thunder Tiger TS4N pro, Kyosho VoneR, Emaxx, MX4, MP 7.5, 7.5 Kanai.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

27 MHz and 75 MHz (crystal based systems) are still in use for surface RC. There is no issue there. The only issue with using those older technologies vs. 2.4 GHz is that the 27 MHz and 75 MHz are still highly susceptible to interference. The capacitors on the brushed motors are to help minimize glitching of the motor. I always use them, even when using 2.4 GHz, just for good measure.
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

jroushkolb

Post by jroushkolb »

RS Chris wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:15 pm A battery is a battery to an esc. As long as you stay within the voltage limit a LIPO will work fine. However you will need to install a cutoff meter between the battery and the esc to avoid damaging the battery. You will also need a charger that can handle Lipo charging also.
Thanks! I already knew that I needed a new charger (got rid of the whole lot of stuff when I switched over to DSLR), but good to know that I need the cutoff meter as well. Would I be better off purchasing a dedicated receiver battery, or continuing to use the ESC connection?

As I mentioned, my short-term plan is to reacquaint myself with driving and then upgrade, so I'll stick with a cheaper brushed motor in the event that my older motor is dead.

RS Chris
Approved Member

Post by RS Chris »

You will be fine using the esc lead. No need for a receiver battery.
Current:RC10T, T3 FT, GT Blue Tub, GT FT, GT2 FT, GT5, RC28, SC28, Micro RS4.

Previous:B2, B3, B3 FT, 10T pink chassis, GT FT, TC3, TC3 FT, RS4MT
Tamiya TA02, Thunder Tiger TS4N pro, Kyosho VoneR, Emaxx, MX4, MP 7.5, 7.5 Kanai.