Re-Re vs Vintage

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Tudorp
Approved Member

Re-Re vs Vintage

Post by Tudorp »

Does anyone know if some of the Re-Re parts are interchangeable with the vintage counterpart. In particular, the "Fighting Buggy" and the "Super Champ", and the vintage and re-re of the Sand Scorcher. Particularly the suspension parts.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Re: Re-Re vs Vintage

Post by tecnica2001 »

Most of the parts are interchangeable....
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Tudorp
Approved Member

Post by Tudorp »

I was hoping so. Thanks

Pepito
Approved Member

Post by Pepito »

There are a few parts that have changed color and/or have been "upgraded" that make them less desirable to a collector.
But if you are only to get it running again to bash around, re-re parts are a great source for replacement parts.
If there is a particular part you are questioning in the suspension or any other area of the RCs, let me know. :D
Living life a 1/4 mile at a time.

Tudorp
Approved Member

Post by Tudorp »

I am not as interested in the "collector" aspect for myself. I love vintage but like to run them. I run my SWB Wild Willy, and it makes collectors "cringe", but, they were made to run IMHO.. lol.. I used to have a Super Champ back in the 80s, but sold it and miss it. Always loved the SRB cars, and plan to get either a Re-Re Sand Scorcher, or Super Champ again, project or RTR, or even a kit to be built. But if I find an old basket case, I want to know if I can use the Re-Re parts to replace broken parts on an old one. I think it is cool if it is all vintage parts, but if I get it to run with new parts, so be it. I rather run it than it sitting pretty on a shelf.

Pepito
Approved Member

Post by Pepito »

Tudorp wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:08 pm I am not as interested in the "collector" aspect for myself. I love vintage but like to run them. I run my SWB Wild Willy, and it makes collectors "cringe", but, they were made to run IMHO.. lol.. I used to have a Super Champ back in the 80s, but sold it and miss it. Always loved the SRB cars, and plan to get either a Re-Re Sand Scorcher, or Super Champ again, project or RTR, or even a kit to be built. But if I find an old basket case, I want to know if I can use the Re-Re parts to replace broken parts on an old one. I think it is cool if it is all vintage parts, but if I get it to run with new parts, so be it. I rather run it than it sitting pretty on a shelf.
I believe the Super Champ is a straight run from the original cast with a few exceptions. You should be able to interchange and "upgrade" the original to run re-re parts without issue.
Hope that helps!

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

The front arms are different and use a different ball cup. Those are usually worn on the vintage rides and are not interchangeable with the retention with having to change the arms also

Pepito
Approved Member

Post by Pepito »

shodog wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:49 pm The front arms are different and use a different ball cup. Those are usually worn on the vintage rides and are not interchangeable with the retention with having to change the arms also
So only the arms are different or is the whole front end slightly different?
Sounds like the suspension may be different which I hadn't noticed (but then again, I haven't paid much attention to the re-re).
Thanks for the heads up!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I've got a little more information on the front suspension differences , the modern front arms are not only thicker and less pleasant looking , they are also angled differently , the older ones angle out from the chassis at a greater angle , I found this out after braking an original upper arm and while I'm waiting to find a replacement I ordered a modern pair of top arms and when I fitted them it gave the wheel negative camber , also as mentioned earlier the ball plate and ball stud are different , you could fit vintage ball plates on new arms but because the modern ones use a bigger ball stud the ball plate is also bigger and needs a bigger hole at the centre , the tear drop shape and screw hole are identical .
The lower angle on the front arms would reduce the front track so they have elongated the tubes between the suspension/shock mounts to increase the track again , I don't know if the screw hole locations for mounting the front suspension to the chassis is the same ....
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

mirrorman
Approved Member

Post by mirrorman »

Little bit late , but hope this helps.

Re-Re Sand Scorcher on the left. Original Sand Scorcher on the right

Original SS -

Re-re SS -

mirrorman
Approved Member

Post by mirrorman »