Information request re modified RC10s that made “big” finals

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Hondadaf

Information request re modified RC10s that made “big” finals

Post by Hondadaf »

Hi all,

Like everyone else I have been going through my parts bins and luckily I have found Lots of forgotten stuff from my racing in the 80s and 90s. The current plan for this stuff is to put together some unusual cars for some vintage racing as all my old mates are dragging out their old cars (when we are allowed to).

Right now I am thinking of using either #1 MIP gearbox and irs or #2 A&L lethal weapon and trailing arms with a hand made LWB custom made carbon chassis cut for a rc10t nose.

To help with these plans I am looking for some vintage racing inspiration. I have found some info re A&L making a LWB 2wd with trailing arms with XX long Arm front suspension for the 91 Nat’s and Eustace Moore making the A main in 2WD in 1987 with an associated RC10 MIP.

I used to study the photos of the winning chassis from big events for guidance for my race cars, but I never really saw or remember (but I am old now so that memory may be a problem ;-) ) any photos of those ‘Other” cars. I have gone back through all my old mags but not found anything yet except for the Cliff Lett RC10 with the MIP gearbox.

I have also tried google searches, looked at the IFMAR lists of the A finalists (for links to reports) but so far no luck.

I was hoping that someone might have some information and/or photos on any of these cars that used aftermarket conversions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aaron

Hondadaf

Re: Information request re modified RC10s that made “big” finals

Post by Hondadaf »

I have been doing a lot more searching for inspiration and finally found some images of the 1987 world event ( thanks to dirt-burners).

I found a blurry photo of what I think is mike christensens’s MIP RC10 that was 4th which looks very special and so I am going to try and make a replica of that car for the up coming vintage race.
9D144868-2C0E-4049-9923-7AD30102352B.jpeg
From looking at the photo I think the car has the following parts on it but I want to check with the rc10 community to see if I am on the right path.

saddle pack chassis (composite craft I believe)
Rc10 front end using short arms
RC10 steering System
Custom carbon front shock tower
black caster blocks.
Special red steering knuckles that appears to widen the car.
Novak Speed controller in between saddle

Black (carbon parts were listed as an option) parts for the IRS-10 system but a fibre glass shock tower.

Black MIP 3 gear gear box - this is better shown in the photo of Moore’s 1987 car (But it had inline batteries rather than saddles).
8C90A0A0-24B4-4EF2-9F2A-8627DFF93C90.jpeg
This photo also shows that they were using the option house rear tires, Mike ran proline fronts while mr MIP ran tamiya (fax?)

Cutdown white gearbox brace
Narrow rear chassis guard attached to the cut down motor plate
Custom rear sway bar
Turned down body mounts

I have no idea of the body shell or paint scheme - if anyone has any ideas they would be gratefully received.

Hondadaf

Post by Hondadaf »

So I have started the compiling of all the parts for the build.

The 3 gear box looks okay - it has had a life racing but still seems free. In my youth I painted some of the motor plate flat black (I am not sure why) so I will have to remove that and give it a proper cut. I had also used some factory team blue screws to hold it together and install an A&L power clutch on it (whIch I i think I will leave on as I can’t find the original spur mount).

I have had the parts of the IRS made in carbon fibre (same thickness) including the rear shock tower which won’t be put on this car.

All I need for the rear end is a set of axles - I would like to use a set of universals (I remember the dogbones coming out when I ran it once and looking for ages to find the bits (spring was never found). As the photos of the car show them running with kyosho rims on the back, I am wondering if a hex was fitted to the stand associated axles or whether the bearing housing was modified to hold metric bearings to allow for kyosho axles to be run.

The chassis is looking a bit worse for wear as it was my race car for a few years. It was run with a stealth and with a 6 gear in a mid mount configuration for velodrome racing (Tried It on a track like that once - didn’t like it - who would have thought) and had a steering screw pull through so had been repaired which epoxy. But I think it can be saved.
Attachments
7ADC4090-84F9-4C94-A798-EA282B6493B0.jpeg
28C48650-9EF3-4CCE-9D3A-6D7E5B29AD7B.jpeg

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

Hi, cool car to replicate. :D
I've been working on this one for many years now.

I think that both cars that you posted photos off are in fact Eustace Moores car, or a spare car just that in one he is trying a saddle pack config. The only thing I cant explain is the sticker jumping sides.

I think this is Mike Christiensens car from that race.
Screenshot from 2020-11-18 20-05-15.png
I think this replica is extremely hard because it requires some of the rarest parts. I think the hardest part to find will be the the SP-2 front hubs and steering arms. I have seen them pop up but for crazy money...

My effort so far.
9FCD957D-6A82-411E-A24A-9E398D634C6F.jpeg

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I was going to say, those front end parts are part of the MIP 4wd kit, the c-hubs and spindles/axles. Definitely hard to find parts. NOW, you could approximate that with a set of manta ray front end parts, the c-hubs will bolt on, and the spindles are red. the front wheels are probably kyosho hex, made by proline.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

I think the front wheels are CRP 4111 fox front wheels. They where available in white and various shades of green tint.
A21A472D-2806-498A-8657-ABD3FC67A787.jpeg
Here on Eustace Moore’s car.
B3CCCE21-FC1A-4CCB-AC0F-BC1A843ED1E7.jpeg

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Possibly and probably. Looking close it looks like there is no outer bearing in place either.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

This might be helpful to OP. :D

page_065.jpg