B5M/SC5M No Prep Street Outlaw Drag Car

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Re: B5M/SC5M No Prep Street Outlaw Drag Car

Post by Basher67 »

I ordered a gallon of the traction compound about a week before all the covid 19 problems started. Sent an email about a week or so later requesting a tracking number---no response. Tried calling several times over the next couple weeks, but they were always busy and I could not get through. Every time, I left a message to call me back----they couldn't be bothered. About a week later, their phone system goes straight to a message saying they are closed and a message appears on their website stating that orders are canceled. My order went in with plenty of time to arrive at my house before the closures and shutdowns started. They could have at least responded to my messages and emails, or refunded my money. I sent a stern email stating my displeasure with their customer service---or a lack of it. Still I haven't heard from them. I have filed a complaint with paypal to get my money back. As you might guess, I'm plenty pissed about it. Think I'm going to order the VHT stuff from summit racing and give it a try. :x

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

Any more feedback from test runs bud?
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Not yet. Rc stuff gets put on hold around here about now every year. Fish start biting, mushrooms are popping up, and I start preparing my feeders stands and trail cams for the August hunting season. Caught a new personal best trout a few days ago. 26", 8.2 lbs. My toy cars take a back seat for that stuff. Lol. I should be back to running my car in the next week or so.

JohnRTSE

Post by JohnRTSE »

I just started in on a No Prep drag car build , using a B5M as a donor. I need to lengthen the chassis but the #71025 SC5M chassis needed to lengthen the wheelbase to +12 inches are unobtanium. A company X-Factory used to make a Carbon Fiber SC5M chassis at one time. I found out recently that X-Factory merged with or were bought out by TARP Racing.

I contacted TARP Racing through their FaceBook page about buying one and they told me that they would make a complete chassis kit for me. Not sure if its a production run or a one-off for me. Anyways, it seems that we can get a long chassis again to make a SCT wheelbase out of a B5M. They said that it would be available by Dec 8-9 2020 or so.

Good news a SCT chassis in CF is gonna be available again! To order, Go to FB page for TARP Racing and send a message.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Just a heads up, we just finished up the design of our Factory Works lightweight no prep chassis for the b5m also. They will be $90 for the g10 and $130 for the carbon.
Attachments
BFC60021-7ECE-4B9C-BA5C-528591A8DFFC.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:29 am Just a heads up, we just finished up the design of our Factory Works lightweight no prep chassis for the b5m also. They will be $90 for the g10 and $130 for the carbon.
Badass dude great job................
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

so, are these guys really 10th scale? them seem more like 1/9th or even closer to 1/8th based on the truck chassis.......is there a rules document or otherwise something else that defines this class or classes? It looks cool but the scale thing is really bothering me for some reason.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Not 1/10 scale just as almost nothing we have ever had has been a true scale. They are based on SCT length chassis, and since a SCT is “1/10 scale” that is what they call em. We do run 1/10 electronics, and 1/10 power... no 4s packs and huge motors. Don’t get hung up on the numbers, the recipe is simple. SCT length, buggy width.... and run em.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

They are classified as 1/10 since they are based off of 1/10 shortcourse truck chassis, but the bodies that are made for them for no prep drag racing are closer to 1/8 scale. The class we race these in specify short course truck wheelbase. Widths vary between short course width to buggy width depending on which body is being used.

Jeff, that chassis is awesome. If I still had my b5/sc5m drag car I would definitely go for one.

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

jwscab wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:08 am so, are these guys really 10th scale? them seem more like 1/9th or even closer to 1/8th based on the truck chassis.......is there a rules document or otherwise something else that defines this class or classes? It looks cool but the scale thing is really bothering me for some reason.
The chassis is 1/10, ive put my 10T and SC trucks next to each other and debunked a bunch of malarkey :wink: :lol: they are so close in size its hard to tell.....

Both Associated cars not sure on other manufacturers...

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Ok that's what I thought.

Kidagain, the touring car bodies are much closer to 1/10 scale, like the wheelbase and width of a rc10ds. That's all I was trying to convey.

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

jwscab wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:05 pm Ok that's what I thought.

Kidagain, the touring car bodies are much closer to 1/10 scale, like the wheelbase and width of a rc10ds. That's all I was trying to convey.
Oh yah for sure bud, I was just as surprised when I put the 2 next to each other..........................

kenny21

Post by kenny21 »

Basher67 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:16 am I'm hoping to spark up some interest in rc drag racing in southern Oregon. This is my first drag car build. It is based on the Team Associated B5M/SC5M platform. For those of you not familiar with this class of car, Its basically a 2wd buggy that is lengthened to have the wheelbase of a short couse truck. This one started out as a B5M and I changed out the chassis and chassis side rails for the SC5M one. After a little help from the dremel and exacto knife, I was able to mount the SC5M body mounts to the B5M shock towers. I fabricated my own wheelie bar and mounts and topped it off with the Jconcepts '66 Nova body. Rolling on Jcon Startec wheels and proline Hoosier drag tires. I plan on doing some test runs this weekend, weather permitting. I'm using a Hobbywing V3.1 esc and a Sky Rc 6.5t motor. As I get the car dialed in and launching straight, I will be ugrading to a 3.5t motor and a higher amp esc. Probably be changing out some plastic gears for some aluminum ones as needed. I got the 4 gear transmission with ball diff in it right now. The ball diff is cranked down. I'm curious to see how it holds. I might try drilling and pinning it, effectively making it a spool. I'll keep you posted of the progress as I start testing and making improvements on my car.
It sure looks tuff there my friend and you along with others has sure got me heading this way-talking to factory works some as we speak to.Thank you for the awesome work you done here and helping us guys out to get started.

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

You can't go wrong with Factory Works products. I use many of Jeff's products on my cars and they have proven to be of the highest quality. The rc no prep drag scene has really taken hold in southern oregon. Since I first built this car and took it down to my local track, it has taken off and now we regularly have events of 20+ cars and steadily growing. Racing has slowed down for the winter, but many are using the cold wet months to build and upgrade their cars. You can check us out on facebook at "541NPRC".
I sold this car during the summer and now I wish I hadn't :roll: :lol: I currently have a traxxas based car and a DR10. I traveled north a few hours at the end of the summer season and competed in 2 cash day races in nearby towns on the same day. It was a fantastic experience and I plan on attending more of them next summer. I haven't shelved my drag car for the winter though. Every time the sun comes out and the asphalt dries off, I'm out at my favorite spot getting some runs in. Just got a new personal best a couple days ago in 45 degree weather.
Attachments
Resized_Screenshot_20201228-150034_Power_GNSS.jpg

kenny21

Post by kenny21 »

Basher67 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:36 am You can't go wrong with Factory Works products. I use many of Jeff's products on my cars and they have proven to be of the highest quality. The rc no prep drag scene has really taken hold in southern oregon. Since I first built this car and took it down to my local track, it has taken off and now we regularly have events of 20+ cars and steadily growing. Racing has slowed down for the winter, but many are using the cold wet months to build and upgrade their cars. You can check us out on facebook at "541NPRC".
I sold this car during the summer and now I wish I hadn't :roll: :lol: I currently have a traxxas based car and a DR10. I traveled north a few hours at the end of the summer season and competed in 2 cash day races in nearby towns on the same day. It was a fantastic experience and I plan on attending more of them next summer. I haven't shelved my drag car for the winter though. Every time the sun comes out and the asphalt dries off, I'm out at my favorite spot getting some runs in. Just got a new personal best a couple days ago in 45 degree weather.
Yeah they seem to be awesome folks cause they took time and talked to me and gave me advice. I just appreciate your patience with me