hobbywing 10BL120 SD esc question

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Wizemanne
Approved Member

hobbywing 10BL120 SD esc question

Post by Wizemanne »

I was hoping to take my vintage losi xx-4 and give it a brushless motor / esc system. The hobbywing 10BL120 SD had good reviews for 4wd buggies. So this seemed like a good option.

on the website it says "Minimum 70C suggested, lower C rating may be okay, however it will not provide the intended experience. Also, How Power Plugs must be used. The surface area of your plugs, must be "larger" than the wires installed or you will very likely have problems. TRX, "T Plug", EC plugs, and "Deans" are not suggested for today's upgraded electronics setups."

I have ni-mh batteries with the tamiya plug. Do I need to change battery plug so this esc work? I understand that by using lipo I won't have the "fastest" car possible but I just want to go fast enough

juicedcoupe

Re: hobbywing 10BL120 SD esc question

Post by juicedcoupe »

I only use Tamiya plugs for the vintage look on some cars. I'd suggest upgrading to something (anything!) Better.

The NIMH batteries will not have near the amperage output of a LIPO, so you may have to de-tune the settings in the esc.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

You can get a good LIPO battery with at least a 70C rating for like $40 or a cheap one that will still works well (likely with less capacity that advertised) for like $15.

I have the Hobbywing QuicRun 60A ESC/10.5T setup in my Ultima Pro XL and it freaking FLIES! Once I figured out that I needed to adjust the gearing (it needs taller gearing to take advantage of the silly amount of torque) from how it was set up brushed and added some timing I am blown away with just how quick it is. I have the punch set to 1 out of 9 (the lowest it can go) and the car still does wheelies at 30 mph if I am not careful. The torque is absurd and it is a 2 pole setup. Granted with 4WD you would have some more parasitic losses and some additional weight over the front of the car but it will be fast! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV6HMb4cLWY Mine was even faster before I put smaller diameter rear tires back on it (I stripped the 12mm hex fittings on my other set).

Don't even consider running Tamiya connectors. I had 1 melt together running a 17 turn brushed motor for like 1 minute in the grass. The brushless setup you are proposing to run should not be run with a Tamiya connector.

What are the stats on your NiMh battery? It is hard to say what the "C" requirement is with the punch turned down as when the car is accelerating is when it is drawing its max amperage. For sure the demand is less with the punch turned down but how much less I don't know. I would still think you would want 40 or 50 C to be safe but I could be wrong on how much draw there is so I would keep it as close to 70 as you can.

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

I have 4 BL120's all are great and powerful for how affordable they are, I run iP lipo 6200mah 120c shorty under $60.00 with 5mm bullet connectors.

If you want to keep the vibe vintage grab some Anderson Powerpole connectors (litespeed used them also) but I would stick with bullets.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44