Rampage GP10 Electric?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

gtrgeo
Approved Member

Rampage GP10 Electric?

Post by gtrgeo »

I have a Rampage GP10 chassis I picked up ~25 years ago thinking I could use parts to do a DIY gas truck build but never got to it. I later picked up a RC10GT and the Rampage ended up stored in a box. I have recently started digging out some of my old gear and realize the Rampage is actually pretty well intact. I am not sure I want to mess with fuel and was wondering if this buggy could be modified to run electric.

Has anyone attempted to do this conversion? I did not find much on this model in searches as it seems they were not made long before changing the configuration in the later released truck version.

For those not familiar with this model I was able to find this pic on the net.

Note the engine clutch bell engages with a spur gear transferring power down a shaft to a timing belt into the rear gearbox.

Thanks,
George

coxbros1

Re: Rampage GP10 Electric?

Post by coxbros1 »

Can't help on the electric conversion but i can say this one one if the best drive systems ever! I have an Outlaw Rampage truck with it and it just amazes me every time i run it (which isn't very often)
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Optinutz
Approved Member

Post by Optinutz »

Funny you posted this, I'm currently converting my old ZR1 (Rampage) into electric. I am converting it from the onroad version of the chassis to a Rampage buggy. Aftermarket tall graphite shock towers, long gold shocks, adjustable turnbuckles, front and rear antiroll bars, full bearings, universal driveshafts, aftermarket ball differential, hardened final pinion, belt delete, center shaft conversion, RB6 slipper, digital highspeed servo, brushless motor, shorty lipo holder and a wing mount. Now if I could just figure out how to post a pic on here... my file chooser won't work.. lol

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

It's also interesting to me that you mentioned considering converting this to electric...I had a plan years ago to build a real beast of a basher that was significantly larger than 1:10-scale, but there's no way I could afford those 1:8-scale buggies...so I endeavored to build my own. I bought a nitro Rampage chassis as several years ago, they were all over eBay and very cheap...they still are, for that matter, you can get some very nice examples for $100 or so, they're still quite undervalued...anyway, I ended up keeping some of the front end, was able to install some off-brand GPM parts I had lying around, and did some splicing onto a Losi chassis plate and Losi TLR 22 rear end. Here's where I'm at thus far. I still have the entire rear end and engine, I don't have or run any nitro RC's so I have no idea what to do with the remnants. :lol:

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Optinutz wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 pm Now if I could just figure out how to post a pic on here... my file chooser won't work.. lol
Just text the pic to youself then save that pic....when you "add files" grab that saved pic

Optinutz
Approved Member

Post by Optinutz »

When I press "add files" it says "cannot open file chooser". I'll try another browser.

gtrgeo
Approved Member

Post by gtrgeo »

Optinutz wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 pm Funny you posted this, I'm currently converting my old ZR1 (Rampage) into electric. I am converting it from the onroad version of the chassis to a Rampage buggy. Aftermarket tall graphite shock towers, long gold shocks, adjustable turnbuckles, front and rear antiroll bars, full bearings, universal driveshafts, aftermarket ball differential, hardened final pinion, belt delete, center shaft conversion, RB6 slipper, digital highspeed servo, brushless motor, shorty lipo holder and a wing mount. Now if I could just figure out how to post a pic on here... my file chooser won't work.. lol
I would be interested to see how you made the transition to electric. I was thinking the belt could be eliminated by using a center shaft. This would allow the motor and electronics to be mounted on one side and battery on the other. similar to current platform buggies. The Rampage's suspension/drivetrain seems to be a conglomeration of Ultima and Optima with parts of Kyosho's other offerings at the time thrown in.

I was going to post a pic of my actual Rampage but it seems there may be a minimum post requirement as I am only able to link to photos on the web.

Optinutz
Approved Member

Post by Optinutz »

I shaved the gearbox bearing support for the offset main shaft, I replaced the crosspinned belt pulley with a drive cup. I'm going to use a 83 to 85mm dog bone to a Losi 10 center differential/ motor mount with a lopped off section off a RB6 shaft coupled to another drive cup, mounted inside the Losi center diff mount.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Optinutz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:43 am When I press "add files" it says "cannot open file chooser". I'll try another browser.
that is strange....we might need to get Lowgear on this

Optinutz
Approved Member

Post by Optinutz »

I switched browsers and got a "file too large" message, even after I compressed the pic file to it's lowest resolution. My apologies to the O.P. I don't want to hijack his thread. I am really trying to contribute to this thread with pics detailing my work.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Make sure you're saving the file as a .JPG/.JPEG format. The large image I uploaded in my last post is a fairly large 1100 x 882 pixel resolution and I routinely upload pics around that size. The file as a JPG ends up being about 277 KB. Pics right off of cellphones are often ridiculously huge, super-hi-res BMP files, which are only useful for high-quality printing, and is the default setting for most phones--which is terrible for sharing on the internet or in emails. If your picture is over 500 KB, it's really not in the best format for 'net sharing.

That said, if your pic *is* smaller than 500 KB and you're having issues uploading it, there could be an issue with your forum profile and hopefully someone can assist.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Optinutz
Approved Member

Post by Optinutz »

Failed at 90.16kb

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Lowgear please help!

Lowgear
Administrator