A Good Day

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

A Good Day

Post by Dadio »

My son age 22 has Asperger's or autistic spectrum disorder , he is currently at the end of a 2 year engineering diploma , in the first year he was nailing it , top of the class and rightly so , he was staying on in college for two or three extra hours a day studying , he really worked for it ! Then Covid 19 hit and it all went to online lectures , lecturers were as everywhere not equipped to teach from home , his CAD lecturer and half the students did not have CAD capable computers at home , thee was no way to do workshop parts of the course and his spirits just plummeted , heartbreaking to have to watch but I'm sure I'm not the only parent in this position , to cap it off this was to be the last year when the course was to be marked on coursework , next year it's exam based and his Asperger's kicks in during exams , his anxiety just renders him into a nervous wreck so he really saw it as now or never .
To cap it of a large part of the final years marks is based on a student chosen engineering project to be designed and built for assesment !
Finally there was something I could do , with him over my shoulder we drew up his design in CAD (Fusion 360) and started 3d printing test components , today I watched him on my lath turn up the final component in metal to make it work !
He took it of to his room to put it together , ten minutes later he's bounding down the stairs beaming from ear to ear , the stress that's been present for over a year melting away :D It's a good day today !
I hope all the children everywhere can come through with the education they deserve after a couple of very hard years , and maybe smile like my son did today !
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

jwscab

Re: A Good Day

Post by jwscab »

Fantastic man, it's so awesome to see them succeed. This past covid event has been brutal all around.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

A good day indeed. What a great story!

Dadio wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:06 pm ... Finally there was something I could do , with him over my shoulder we drew up his design in CAD (Fusion 360) and started 3d printing test components , today I watched him on my lath turn up the final component in metal to make it work ! ...

Your son has an awesome Dadio!
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

XLR8 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:30 pm A good day indeed. What a great story!

Dadio wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:06 pm ... Finally there was something I could do , with him over my shoulder we drew up his design in CAD (Fusion 360) and started 3d printing test components , today I watched him on my lath turn up the final component in metal to make it work ! ...

Your son has an awesome Dadio!
Dadio is his invention , I used to work as an AA Patrol Man doing car break down an recovery ( like autoclub) and i had shifts of standby at home on call , during these times i used to play computer games for my son , i honestly don't really play them myself but he loved them and i guess he must have been 4 or 5 when i was playing "scary monsters game " Unreal and i got called to work , he was able to save the game for me and when i got home i saw the saved game was "dad1o * , i think he was either trying to type dad10 or dady0 but that was when Dadio was born !
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Its so difficult, as a parent, to watch your child struggle through something. But the struggle often makes the results much more worthwhile, and it sounds like everything has, and will, work out for the best. I look forward to future updates from the Dadio family!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Necessity is the mother of invention and you're the master of the "workaround" Dadio.
Glad it was a happy result