Spektrum Firma Crawler ESC/Receiver

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JosephS

Spektrum Firma Crawler ESC/Receiver

Post by JosephS »

I had picked up a Firma 40a brushed ESC/ Receiver combo unit

like this one https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/firma-40a-brushed-smart-2-in-1-esc-and-receiver/SPMXSE1040RX.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwz5iMBhAEEiwAMEAwGCWJdcvD9tQwFriQw8G3B9_j9Jo92K3eCUqRMzy0FcXXv2elQya32RoCF0cQAvD_BwE

I have 2 transmitters that both seem to work on my other cars just fine.

Right now I am having an issue with it where it is getting power and powering my steering servo but it is not driving the motor in any way. All it is doing is flashing the status LED red.

Normally I would just think ok I need to re-calibrate the esc and the transmitter. The unit seems to only have a bind button. Is there a secret button somewhere that I can use to put this into calibration mode?

Do any of your crawler folks know how to make this thing work?

JosephS

Re: Spektrum Firma Crawler ESC/Receiver

Post by JosephS »

JosephS wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:48 pm I had picked up a Firma 40a brushed ESC/ Receiver combo unit

like this one https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/firma-40a-brushed-smart-2-in-1-esc-and-receiver/SPMXSE1040RX.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwz5iMBhAEEiwAMEAwGCWJdcvD9tQwFriQw8G3B9_j9Jo92K3eCUqRMzy0FcXXv2elQya32RoCF0cQAvD_BwE

I have 2 transmitters that both seem to work on my other cars just fine.

Right now I am having an issue with it where it is getting power and powering my steering servo but it is not driving the motor in any way. All it is doing is flashing the status LED red.

Normally I would just think ok I need to re-calibrate the esc and the transmitter. The unit seems to only have a bind button. Is there a secret button somewhere that I can use to put this into calibration mode?

Do any of your crawler folks know how to make this thing work?
So I managed to get it running, but I had to do a full setting reset on the transmitters and re-bind. One of the settings that I commonly use must be interrupting the auto cal process.

Ronbo
Approved Member

Post by Ronbo »

Im about to pick this up for my RC10T, does it work fine after you reset everything in radio? Going to use a 14T mod motor. What were you using it in?

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Ronbo wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:43 pm Im about to pick this up for my RC10T, does it work fine after you reset everything in radio? Going to use a 14T mod motor. What were you using it in?
I did get it to work and I am running this in a rc10t2, which is 2.60 transmission vs the 2.25 of the original rc10t.
Basically the ESC auto calibrates on every radio start. So you have to have all your throttle settings in absolute neutral

I'm not sure that I recommend this. I did get it working and running with my 13t motor and this was a very low cost option since I got esc/receiver and motor for less than $50. I think that the 13t 540 wasn't the right choice.
I think I more mild motor would be a better choice, maybe 17-20t.

I would say ask around this forum for advice. Based on what you proposed and my experience, I think it may not be the best choice.

Ronbo
Approved Member

Post by Ronbo »

Too late, I already have it and installed. It works fine, tho I have not driven it yet. Hobby shop has the program card coming, so might tweak it a bit. I still have my original pavement tires, so i can always test it on street before going to track.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Ronbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:10 am Too late, I already have it and installed. It works fine, tho I have not driven it yet. Hobby shop has the program card coming, so might tweak it a bit. I still have my original pavement tires, so i can always test it on street before going to track.
on the street you may be just fine. I never got the program card, that may improve your experience.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Ronbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:10 am Too late, I already have it and installed. It works fine, tho I have not driven it yet. Hobby shop has the program card coming, so might tweak it a bit. I still have my original pavement tires, so i can always test it on street before going to track.
I geared my truck down to (14/78) and it was able to stomach that with a 2s lipo for just about 10 minutes though tire height grass. If you are racing or running on pavement you should be fine.