Thundershot or Thunder Dragon best mods or adjustments

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Thundershot or Thunder Dragon best mods or adjustments

Post by TokyoProf »

For the mono-shock Thunder Dragon or Thundershot, what are the best adjustments and modifications when building and running the car? I just got one (and want to keep the mono-shock design). I would like to get the best handling out of this buggy if possible!

Thanks.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

coxbros1

Re: Thundershot or Thunder Dragon best mods or adjustments

Post by coxbros1 »

Benji "theytookmythumb" raced one in the late 80's and is your go to guy on this info...hopefully he responds🤞 or u could message him
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Theytookmythumb (benji) is an encyclopedia on the Thundershot. Hopefully he responds.
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

1. Thickest oil as possible in front. I run on high grip.
2. Cvd in front. Tamiya / Yeah racing df-02/df-03 fit
3. Front suspension arm bracket. You can find 3D printed versions. I have a few alloy ones from Full Option (looks for David Beeby on FB). Parma also did a version back in the day.
4. Replace plastic triangle wheel adapters with alloy ones if you can. The plastics ones have a tendency to crack, more so if the wheels are overtightened.
5. Ball bearings everywhere.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Well, let's see if I can remember what it was like racing the Thundershot against Yokes, Optimas and other 4wd Tamaiyas...

First of all, get ball bearings. I could never afford 'em and it wobbled around the track like an elephant looking for a place to die.
Second, buy a decent modified motor. The ones I ran were ragged out pieces of $#!+ handed down to me by superior, more well-funded racers.
C: Get a battery that doesn't dump after 3 minutes from lugging that heavy P.O.S. around the track; leaving you to be pulled off into the infield while you cry from the driver's stand watching everyone else finish the race.

Sorry, that's about all I can remember, but my Therapist is confident that after a few more sessions I'll be able to remember a little more...
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:30 am
C: Get a battery that doesn't dump after 3 minutes from lugging that heavy P.O.S. around the track; leaving you to be pulled off into the infield while you cry from the driver's stand watching everyone else finish the race.

Sorry, that's about all I can remember, but my Therapist is confident that after a few more sessions I'll be able to remember a little more...
One of my enduring memories of racing my Hotshot was when visiting a nearby School club race day and getting to the final , leading the whole race , driving totally clean (not normal for me ) and ..... Battery dumped on the last lap and I came second to a Hornet :oops:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

[/quote]

I look forward to your super deep PhD level analysis and review of the car in the future lol...no rush.
I was in middle school and went to the 1990 ROAR race at Livermore raceway, and met this semi-sponsored guy who was running a thundershot / terra scorcher and I remember thinking to myself .... no way is that possible... but he was in the thick of the race (stock motor class). It was a clay indoor track (very rare for the 1990s).
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut