Team Associated B4 +8mm Chassis (performance benefits?)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Team Associated B4 +8mm Chassis (performance benefits?)

Post by TokyoProf »

I am building a used RC10B4 and have the option of using the original chassis or the +8mm chassis which was included as an extra.
The body I currently have fits the smaller "original" chassis better, which is why I want to keep the shorter chassis. Still, I heard that the longer +8mm chassis performs better. Is there a big performance difference with the +8mm chassis? Thanks...
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

JosephS

Re: Team Associated B4 +8mm Chassis (performance benefits?)

Post by JosephS »

TokyoProf wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:00 am I am building a used RC10B4 and have the option of using the original chassis or the +8mm chassis which was included as an extra.
The body I currently have fits the smaller "original" chassis better, which is why I want to keep the shorter chassis. Still, I heard that the longer +8mm chassis performs better. Is there a big performance difference with the +8mm chassis? Thanks...
I don't know about that specific one, but chassis length is typically a stability vs handling tradeoff. Shorter chassis help with high frequency bumps and smaller radius sharper turns. Longer chassis have more high speed stability, but less less aggressive turning. The extreme end of that is a drag car where it basically doesn't turn, but is stable for the high speed run.

My uneducated guess is the longer wheelbase b4 is the last step on the evolution to handle higher grip tracks with big wide turns before they went to mid mount motors.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

JosephS wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:51 pm
TokyoProf wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:00 am I am building a used RC10B4 and have the option of using the original chassis or the +8mm chassis which was included as an extra.
I don't know about that specific one, but chassis length is typically a stability vs handling tradeoff. Shorter chassis help with high frequency bumps and smaller radius sharper turns. Longer chassis have more high speed stability, but less less aggressive turning. The extreme end of that is a drag car where it basically doesn't turn, but is stable for the high speed run.

My uneducated guess is the longer wheelbase b4 is the last step on the evolution to handle higher grip tracks with big wide turns before they went to mid mount motors.
Thank you for the response and appreciate the explanation for sure. I heard that the +8mm chassis for the RC10B4 helped with stability while keeping the turning radius which seemed like best of both worlds (at least according to Team Associated). I was wondering if users could really tell the handling difference between RC10B4 and B4.1 Worlds / or B4.2 models on off-road tracks.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

Mja75
Approved Member

Post by Mja75 »

I race my B4 with a +8 chassis on low grip circuits and it does have better stability and balance. It also jumps better.