Futaba multi-model transmitter question

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

1911Colt
Approved Member

Futaba multi-model transmitter question

Post by 1911Colt »

I use one 2.4 Ghz Futaba transmitter for all of my cars. Last night I drove my Top Cat around my track and it was dead slow, like battery dumping slow. Changed to a fresh-off-the-charger battery- same result. Nothing apparently wrong with the car (which had been driven the night before without issue). I topped off one of the batteries using a different charger- same result, so I think I have a motor and/or ESC issue. I have never had an issue with a brushless motor, so I will deal with it later. I will just drive something else.

I get my KF2. When I go to the transmitter to select "KF2", it is already set. I had been driving the TC with the transmitter set to KF2. :o Everything worked perfectly except the car was slow. :? How does that work???

My only previous experience with 2.4 GHz is with Spectrum Tx/Rx in airplanes. If I select the wrong model in the transmitter, the plane will just sit there until I discover and correct the issue. No control services move, the motor does not run.

Is this a difference between Spectrum and Futaba? Maybe they "bind" differently? Or maybe an airplane Rx has an additional fail safe due to the inherent danger posed by a whirling propeller?

I get why the TC was slower than normal. The KF2 is very much overpowered, so the throttle EPA is turned down. Both are Schumacher 2WD, Futaba Rx, Savox servo, Reedy motor and ESC. What I don't get is why the transmitter would control one model with another model selected.

R6cowboy

Re: Futaba multi-model transmitter question

Post by R6cowboy »

If you haven't done so already, I'd start by checking the transmitter batteries aren't low, and re-binding the two buggies to the radio. Just a thought.
-Jerry-

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The transmitter is bound to all your receivers. Model memory is like the seat adjustment on your car. It simply remembers the specific settings you like for said car

Imagine you wanted a separate setup for a dry slick track. You could make your changes and while it’s the same car you would have two different profiles for it.

I *think* there are some radios that marry the model memory and receiver binding together.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

If it's worth mentioning, what Futaba model transmitter and receivers are you using?
-Jerry-

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

That is interesting that the model in the transmitter is not necessarily tied to one Rx. So instead of models for Ferrari, Williams, McLaren... one could have Silverstone, Spa, Zandvoort...

The plane transmitters don't allow that, but "nicer" radios have dual or triple rates for each control surface anyway, so you can drastically change flight characteristics even while flying.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

R6cowboy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:39 pm If it's worth mentioning, what Futaba model transmitter and receivers are you using?
The Tx is a Futaba 3PV 3-Channel 2.4GHz FHSS/S-FHSS

The Rx are Futaba R204GF-E S-FHSS High Voltage 4-Channel 2.4GHz Micro Receiver.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I use a Futaba 3PV and R203GF receivers. For example, I just checked this using my RC10 T4.3 and RC10T4 FT. When I have the transmitter set to the T4.3 and have the T4 FT turned on (T4.3 turned off), it will turn the T4 FT steering servo but will not operate the ESC. And vise versa. I set the transmitter to the T4 FT with the T4.3 on (T4 FT off), and it will turn the T4.3 steering but will not operate the ESC.

I've never tried this before, so I guess it's good to know.

Also to remember. When switching your transmitter from one buggy to another, always have the buggy's on/off switch turned off before changing the setting in your transmitter.
-Jerry-

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I verified with another friend that uses futaba and he confirmed his works across all of his cars under any model memory.

The esc not working is likely more to do with its calibration and neutral point. If the steering works, the receiver is getting the message 8)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

I’ve had this exact experience with my futaba as well. I’ve done it countless times now and always only realize when the particular vehicle I’m driving is doing something strange. If only I could remember to make sure I’m set to the correct one before attempting to drive it :lol:
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)