Modernized Trackmaster RC10 Chassis (Shorty Lipo)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Modernized Trackmaster RC10 Chassis (Shorty Lipo)

Post by joey_zrl »

Hi all. I haven't posted on here in a few years. So please forgive me if my image links don't work at first. I'll eventually figure it out. :lol:

So I have been working on making this Trackmaster dirt oval replica chassis that has built in shorty lipo battery braces. The wheelbase has been shortened to 10-3/4" for better maneuverability around the oval. It's made of 1/8" natural G10 fiberglass.

The front arm mounts have been offset by 2 degrees for oval racing. The front tower has 6-holes on each side for a wide range of upper shock mounting locations.

I realize the front spindle carriers need to be changed to World's or CE type, or I can flip them around to achieve proper steering geometry. However, all I have are Edinger parts, and I'm not eager to go hacking on them with a dremel. :shock:

The steering servo pod plate that I designed has a 2 degree offset just like the front tower, to keep everything raked at the same angle on the front end. I added some extra cutouts for weight savings.

Getting proper oval wheels and tires, making a bumper with body mounts, installing the Andy's narrow rear body mount, and painting a Mcallister Mustang Wedge body are the last few things to do. Oh, and the counter sinks under the chassis.

The carbon fiber chassis has an 11" wheelbase, and has the battery cup holes spaced-inward for mounting the battery cups close enough to allow a shorty lipo to fit in the two cups. The shorty battery brace that I designed for the CF10 chassis (not pictured) will allow the user to mount the shorty lipo either forward biased or rearward, thanks to a delrin adjustable stop. Also, the front arm mounts are not raked 2 degrees, and is better suited for drag or parking lot racing.

I'm up in the air on if I should mount the servo pod with standoffs, or without? I think it would be better to mount it low ( I added a few pics without the standoffs in the first few pics below. :!: I would like to hear your opinions on that. I did away with the 10mm standoffs for the battery braces, and installed some plastic 4-40 nuts. Doing that added just the right amount of tension on the rubber o-ring bands to hold the battery in there securely. Any other options that you would like to see on this chassis? I'm all ears for ideas! :idea:

I just wanted to share what I've been working on with you guys, and I hope you enjoy! :D

Servo pod plate without standoffs:

With standoffs:

GoMachV

Re: Modernized Trackmaster RC10 Chassis (Shorty Lipo)

Post by GoMachV »

Hey Joey the pics aren't working and I'm not sure how to get em working from a Google drive, but you can host them on the website pretty easily. They just need to be under 3mb each. When typing the post go down a ways and click the attachments tab, you can upload them there.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230331_234756_Firefox.jpg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:47 am Hey Joey the pics aren't working and I'm not sure how to get em working from a Google drive, but you can host them on the website pretty easily. They just need to be under 3mb each. When typing the post go down a ways and click the attachments tab, you can upload them there.
Thanks Jeff. I tried to get google drive to work, but that flopped. I went with image shack, and that seemed to do the trick. I have more pics I would like to add, and even some with the carbon fiber chassis version.

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

The rear shock tower has the same shock mounting locations as the McAllister rear lowering mounts.

Also in carbon fiber:

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

Carbon fiber version: