Raced RPM Ultra Molded 8080

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

01CR

Raced RPM Ultra Molded 8080

Post by 01CR »

I am officially an RC10 owner. What better first car than this beauty. I just received.

Vintage Team Associated RC10 Gold Pan RPM ULTRA MOLD.

Has stealth transmission and Losi HydroDrive.
Period correct tekin ESC and unknown brushed motor.
MIP CVD axles, minimal to no wear on the drive cups. ball bearings.
Almost every part on the car is RPM.
wing mount but no wing, body was painted in the early 1990s.
Original manual for the RPM Chassis set.
An original rc10 gold pan box.

The overall condition of the truck is pure from being in a tote in a basement for the last 25 years. It is built the same way it was from the time it was stored. Missing some e clips. But hardware seems correct. There are some stress marks on the front shock tower. The bottom of the chassis is very clean with minimal scrape marks that are on the surface and not gouged.

The white nylon is aged but in great condition. Even color flow.

I don’t plan on restoring it and just leaving it as a time capsule.

I was told by the seller this was owned by his neighbor who raced at the local tracks in the early 90’s.

I noticed that the front arms on the upper side had grooves in them. The guy notched them for his steering knuckles to turn farther. So his balll ends would clear the arms during racing. The same with his steering blocks he notched this so his steering knuckle arms would clear to make his tires turn tighter. I’ll get some pics of those modifications in the light.

I am going to mount the motor and esc. And just leave it like that.

Let me know what you think.
Attachments
IMG_1060.jpeg
IMG_1061.jpeg
IMG_1063.jpeg

JosephS

Re: Raced RPM Ultra Molded 8080

Post by JosephS »

01CR wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:43 am I am officially an RC10 owner. What better first car than this beauty. I just received.

The overall condition of the truck is pure from being in a tote in a basement for the last 25 years. It is built the same way it was from the time it was stored. Missing some e clips. But hardware seems correct. There are some stress marks on the front shock tower. The bottom of the chassis is very clean with minimal scrape marks that are on the surface and not gouged.

I was told by the seller this was owned by his neighbor who raced at the local tracks in the early 90’s.

I noticed that the front arms on the upper side had grooves in them. The guy notched them for his steering knuckles to turn farther. So his balll ends would clear the arms during racing. The same with his steering blocks he notched this so his steering knuckle arms would clear to make his tires turn tighter. I’ll get some pics of those modifications in the light.

That is one heck of an RC10. Looks to be in fantastic condition.
Do you plan on driving it?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Very very nice .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

01CR

Post by 01CR »

JosephS wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:48 am
01CR wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:43 am I am officially an RC10 owner. What better first car than this beauty. I just received.

That is one heck of an RC10. Looks to be in fantastic condition.
Do you plan on driving it?

I plan on putting the electronics that were in it. Maybe see if it runs on a bench. We will see.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Very nice example, looks to even have the not too often seen #7017 steering enhancement kit. Surprised to see a stock AE front bulkhead and not the RPM one considering it looks to be built from the entire RPM catalog. What a fantastic find, definitely one of the coolest buggy’s from back then. Really nice that everything wasn’t dyed as well 8)
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

RPMfieldtester
Approved Member

Post by RPMfieldtester »

MarkyDents wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:38 am Very nice example, looks to even have the not too often seen #7017 steering enhancement kit. Surprised to see a stock AE front bulkhead and not the RPM one considering it looks to be built from the entire RPM catalog. What a fantastic find, definitely one of the coolest buggy’s from back then. Really nice that everything wasn’t dyed as well 8)
Not sure but the enhancement kit might be for the truck...

RPMfieldtester
Approved Member

Post by RPMfieldtester »

nice to see a car kit surface, not many out there. It looks like the car could use some set up help since it looks like it currently is pretty stiff...overall neat car

01CR

Post by 01CR »

MarkyDents wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:38 am Very nice example, looks to even have the not too often seen #7017 steering enhancement kit. Surprised to see a stock AE front bulkhead and not the RPM one considering it looks to be built from the entire RPM catalog. What a fantastic find, definitely one of the coolest buggy’s from back then. Really nice that everything wasn’t dyed as well 8)
I am not too familiar with these kit but I knew I couldn’t pass this up. What is the 7017 steering enhancement? I think the guy who owned it want king travel and tight turns. Someone said it had a front shock tower from a truck. The transmission is smooth as butter. I can practically blow on it and it will spin.
The white was another point that caught my eye. Now I just have to find a cool way to display it.
RPMfieldtester wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:15 am [quote=MarkyDents post_id=551281 time=<a href="tel:1683383896">1683383896</a> user_id=14128]
Very nice example, looks to even have the not too often seen #7017 steering enhancement kit. Surprised to see a stock AE front bulkhead and not the RPM one considering it looks to be built from the entire RPM catalog. What a fantastic find, definitely one of the coolest buggy’s from back then. Really nice that everything wasn’t dyed as well 8)
[/quote]

What are the signs it is for the truck? Still researching info on these. I am in love with it.

01CR

Post by 01CR »

RPMfieldtester wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:18 am nice to see a car kit surface, not many out there. It looks like the car could use some set up help since it looks like it currently is pretty stiff...overall neat car
This is definitely a runner. I am going to post some more close up shot of some of the front end. The guy was living in 2092 instead on 1992. It is light as a feather probably why he is running stiff suspension.
Thank you.

RPMfieldtester
Approved Member

Post by RPMfieldtester »

[/quote]
[/quote]

What are the signs it is for the truck? Still researching info on these. I am in love with it.
[/quote]

The version designed for the car has a short steering arm, the truck version has a longer steering arm. This is an example of the short car arm...
Attachments
52555225708_72522190b6_b.jpg

RPMfieldtester
Approved Member

Post by RPMfieldtester »

I am not too familiar with these kit but I knew I couldn’t pass this up. What is the 7017 steering enhancement? I think the guy who owned it want king travel and tight turns. Someone said it had a front shock tower from a truck. The transmission is smooth as butter. I can practically blow on it and it will spin.
The white was another point that caught my eye. Now I just have to find a cool way to display it.

Shock tower is correct for the car, not the truck version

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Love those losi 6 row step pin fronts, used to run them all the time bitd would love to get my hands on a nip set 1 day

01CR

Post by 01CR »

RPMfieldtester wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:03 am
[/quote]

[/quote]

The version designed for the car has a short steering arm, the truck version has a longer steering arm. This is an example of the short car arm...
[/quote]

I will have to keep my eye out for a buggy set :D

RPMfieldtester
Approved Member

Post by RPMfieldtester »

Yeah, no...lol...buggy set is the golden unicorn of RPM products and worth BIG money to me and others

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

RPMfieldtester wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:15 am
You sir have an keen eye :wink:
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)