3D Sets Landy Build

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Re: 3D Sets Landy Build

Post by morrisey0 »

Dadio wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:37 am I hate trying to print multiple items at the same time as if one falls then it screws the lot , I'd far rather do a part at a time .
When I was first getting into printing, and watching YT vids on it and such, I remember a tutorial stating that one of the best things you can do to succeed in printing is to only print one piece at a time. I stick to this advice 90% of the time ................... but for a build like this, it would take months to print the parts one at time. :D But I do believe the multi part printing is leading to some of the issues I am having, and causing a bit more unevenness in the layers.

I have most of the interior support and final pieces done, save the door cards which I will do overnight tonight. In 3dsets fashion, the steering wheel is two-piece so it will turn, and the center console is two-piece, so it hinges and opens. If I had thought about it early enough, I would have mirrored the dash support and dash, but too late now. :wink:
Attachments
LANDY PARTS 10.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Seems a bit early to be wiring, but that is where I am. Just like 1:1 cars, the best way to clean up wiring is to just stuff it under the seats and floormats. :D

I don't think I did well with the wiring, but it can't be any worse than Lucas! :mrgreen:
LANDY WIRING 1.jpg
LANDY WIRING 2.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

morrisey0 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:50 pm Seems a bit early to be wiring, but that is where I am. Just like 1:1 cars, the best way to clean up wiring is to just stuff it under the seats and floormats. :D

I don't think I did well with the wiring, but it can't be any worse than Lucas! :mrgreen:
Lucas, prince of darkness! :lol:
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Frankentruck wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:03 pm Lucas, prince of darkness! :lol:
You know why the British drink warm beer? :D

So, when I got into this, I was going to print and assemble this in the prescribed steps per the manual, opposed to how I have seen them built on YT with printing it all and then starting assembly. BUT, life, work, time, just never works out the way you think it will, so I am just printing parts and hoping to get around to them when I can at this point. So, no update on build, but parts are coming onboard. The wheels are WAY out of order, but I knew they would make me happy so I moved them up in line. :D

I do want to offer little tid-bits to those that may print this. On the outside rear view mirrors, they are printed without support, as all parts within the kit are supposed to be. I would disagree with that as the mirror face will be printed off the bed, and that is a lot of flat space with nothing for the filament to stick to. I would print these separate with support. They come out much better.

LANDY PARTS 11.jpg

Michaels tc

Post by Michaels tc »

Wow this looks awesome! What printer are you using?

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Michaels tc wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:42 pm What printer are you using?
I just run an Ender3 V2 with some upgrades. Nothing special at all.

Spring popped up and stopped spending as much time in the hobby room, so really haven't done much more on this thing. I will try to get back on track here.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I was wondering what happened to this build.
I hope you're able to get back to it soon.

Along with everything else it does well, an FDM printer makes very convincing interior parts.
I remember seeing a close-up of the seats for Jeff's 3D Sets build - they looked like actual fabric. :shock:
Doug

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

XLR8 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:57 pm I remember seeing a close-up of the seats for Jeff's 3D Sets build - they looked like actual fabric. :shock:
there is a fuzzy setting you can click to make anything look somwhat like that, but what I used was a carbon infused material so the shards give it that fuzzy look
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

GoMachV wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:59 pm
XLR8 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:57 pm I remember seeing a close-up of the seats for Jeff's 3D Sets build - they looked like actual fabric. :shock:
there is a fuzzy setting you can click to make anything look somwhat like that, but what I used was a carbon infused material so the shards give it that fuzzy look
Well, thank God for "fuzzy settings". :lol:
Doug

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Well, I needed a little break from reality today, so got back into the Landy a little bit. The brown filament I am using for the interior pieces is a brand I don't usually use, and it is garbage! So, I reprinted some pieces that were really bad. I then got some detail work done on the dash. I am not a modeler, so these are just quick stickers and sloppy paint, but from a couple of foot away, it looks just fine, and better than nothing. I also picked up some clear acrylic sheet so I can cut the windshield. I should be able to complete the interior, windshield frame, front end, and bonnet pretty quickly as the parts are printed, I just need a little time to throw them together.

Again, the camera shows more detail and shadows than your eye actually sees, so these look better in real life. I promise! :D
LANDY BUILD 9.jpg
LANDY BUILD 8.jpg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

All the printed parts needed for just one axle. The gears should maybe be made with something a little tougher, but just out of laziness, they were printed with a tough PLA just as the cases were, which I think will ultimately be fine. If they are too weak, I don't think they will destroy too much at 2mph. :D A simple reprint with a stronger filament will all that will be needed.
LANDY PARTS 12.jpg

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

I built one of the 3dsets Jeeps for a friend of mine, but I went and bulletproofed it with axial axles and a metal planetary transmission, it ended up pretty nice. I just couldn't send it across the country with a drivetrain he couldn't buy parts for :)

I was impressed by the work they put in the designs, I almost want to do the bug.
Attachments
20211225_215606~2.jpg
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Yea, even by my standards, I am taking way too long with this! But it will get done at some point. :wink: I think I have all of the rear axle printed, and with lessons learned from the front, I think it will come together quickly.
LANDY BUILD 10.jpg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

She's on her feet! :D

LANDY BUILD 11.jpg
LANDY BUILD 12.jpg

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

That's really good.
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.