Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Re: Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Post by morrisey0 »

Lowgear wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:30 pm This one was on eBay not too long ago. Although I don't think it's the one from the magazine: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1980s-advance-engineering-10-3844913772
Nailed it!!! Thank you so much!!! :mrgreen: Those pics give me 90% of everything I need to know about this car.

I have Googled every version of "Advance Engineering RC Funny Car", and it didn't (and doesn't) get me to that page, although that is the literal title of the page!

These things look like they just came as blank slates, and you figured it out and tuned it from there. No reason to give you any kind of battery hold down because don't know how many batteries you want to run. You probably want the servo near the bellcrank, but who are we to the limit the mounting possibilities; mount it in the back if you want. Here is a ladder frame with a rear drivetrain, and front suspension with half the steering installed, you do the rest!

Now I just need to track down some 2.5" wide rear Grand Prix rubber tires! :D
WP PIC 6.jpg

AE DRAGSTER 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Sometimes when I'm looking for something R/C related and Google is of no help, I try WorthPoint. I had that car on my eBay watch list a while ago, and I thought maybe WorthPoint picked up on it which they did. :)

I've been nonchalantly looking for a pair of those Grand Prix tires myself. Although I can't remember if I need fronts or rears as it's been a few years.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Lowgear wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:08 pm Sometimes when I'm looking for something R/C related and Google is of no help, I try WorthPoint. I had that car on my eBay watch list a while ago, and I thought maybe WorthPoint picked up on it which they did. :)

I've been nonchalantly looking for a pair of those Grand Prix tires myself. Although I can't remember if I need fronts or rears as it's been a few years.
I'm still patiently waiting on updates to your puller
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Wow! I can't believe you remember about that. :shock:

I have a serious problem with never being able to finish any R/C project I start. When I began that project nearly 3 years ago, I promised myself I wouldn't do anything else until it was finished. I was completely obsessed with it for something like 2 years. So much so that it was all I thought about, and I ended up spending more on it than I've ever spent on anything R/C related several times over. As a result I became burnt out, and figured I'd take a break. I still refused to start or work on anything else in the meantime. A year went by and it collected an inch of dust.

A month ago I happened upon a garden tractor class puller on Facebook Marketplace that I just had to have. There were only two pictures but it seemed to be in decent shape, and the price was as well. Since I don't use Facebook, I got the seller to converse with me over email. I didn't want to annoy them by asking a million questions, and for more pics as I didn't want to lose it, so I just bought it. That ended up being a huge mistake as I got completely screwed over on the deal. I don't want to go so far as saying I was scammed but the puller was essentially worthless. It was one of the biggest pieces of junk I have ever bought. :x It forced me to clean my hobby table off of the other puller project as it bothered me so much I had break my promise to deal with it.

I'm very appreciative that a member here has been able to help me out. :D They're currently in the process of re-machining every part of it. Once I get it back I'll start a build thread. Luckily this one is relatively small and simple so it's a lot more manageable for me to actually finish. Then I'll go back again to the other one.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Lowgear wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:18 am Then I'll go back again to the other one.
Uh, huh, sure you will . . . :? :wink: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

Best wishes on both project, my friend. 8)
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I'll go back to it, but I never said to complete it. :lol:

I think my biggest problem is I chase an unobtainable level of perfection on builds, then get frustrated and lose interest. :?

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Post by BattleTrak »

Lowgear wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:18 am I'll go back to it, but I never said to complete it. :lol:

I think my biggest problem is I chase an unobtainable level of perfection on builds, then get frustrated and lose interest. :?
That is exactly where I am with my 3 Hot Trick Red Prince, Blackfoot & Monster Beetle builds!
-Brad

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Lowgear wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:18 am ... I promised myself I wouldn't do anything else until it was finished....
That's where I am right now. I just can't remember which of the unfinished builds I am supposed to be working on. So I bought a new version of an already unfinished DS project.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Lowgear wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:18 am I'll go back to it, but I never said to complete it. :lol:

We do tend to become prisoner to our eccentricities. I tend to be anal-retentive with work, striving for perfection when it isn't warranted. That is not to say that I'd settle for crap work, just that I can easily spend way more time than necessary doing something that will never be seen should it not be perfect.

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Halgar wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:35 am

We do tend to become prisoner to our eccentricities. I tend to be anal-retentive with work, striving for perfection when it isn't warranted. That is not to say that I'd settle for crap work, just that I can easily spend way more time than necessary doing something that will never be seen should it not be perfect.
All the while, the voice in your head is something like, "dude, it's already good enough, just button it up and get on with the next task."

Or when you consistently commit to going next level and the voice says, "well....now this is happening."
Hope you're doin' something fun.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

I mean this is a hobby. Some of the satisfaction is getting to do a job the way that you want. It can be better for a project to never be finished then for it to be something you didn't really want.
Frustration is part of any build process.This is one of the few parts of life where we can honestly say fuck it and leave it as is forever if we want to. No customers , bosses or family that we need to be right by.

Only now do I get why some houses have 5 cars on block in their front yard.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

JosephS wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:28 pm
Lowgear wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:18 am ... I promised myself I wouldn't do anything else until it was finished....
That's where I am right now. I just can't remember which of the unfinished builds I am supposed to be working on. So I bought a new version of an already unfinished DS project.
Coincidentally, the oldest unfinished project I have is a DS. I started it back in something like 2006. :shock: :lol: It consists of a mirror polished Worlds chassis with blue anodized GPM arms and such.

That's having pride in your work which seems to be more or less a lost art these days!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Lowgear wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:30 pm Coincidentally, the oldest unfinished project I have is a DS. I started it back in something like 2006. :shock: :lol: It consists of a mirror polished Worlds chassis with blue anodized GPM arms and such.
I'd say AMATEUR, but it appears my own Daytona project only began in or around 2006.... although I can say I bought my first Nitro 10 truck in 1993, bashed it hard for a couple of years, and it has been on the "To be rebuilt" project pile ever since! :P

Gotta love the long-term projects!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:43 am All the while, the voice in your head is something like, "dude, it's already good enough, just button it up and get on with the next task."

Or when you consistently commit to going next level and the voice says, "well....now this is happening."
So, uh, you've been there a time or two as well, I see. :lol:

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Over the past three years or so, my wife and I have put in probably 6-8 hours into looking for sharks teeth on a beach known for having plenty of sharks teeth ............. and finding no sharks teeth. And while doing this, watching others (mainly kids) find teeth relatively easily. Just one of those things that we just seem to be unable to do. So today, we cancelled a boat outing due to being too cold this morning, and drove out to another beach known for teeth. Found three in the first ten minutes, and then nothing for the next hour+. So, here are our first sharks teeth ever. The two small ones are mine, and I think the smallest is the best! Seriously, you can't just find a tooth that small! You have to search that out!!
Attachments
sharks teeth 9-2-23.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.