Old school guy checking in!

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

OldSchoolGuy
Approved Member

Old school guy checking in!

Post by OldSchoolGuy »

Greetings all!

Like so many here, I started my RC journey in the late 70's with a Tamiya Lotus 79 John Player Special pan car, was into RC cars and boats big time back in the 80's and early 90's with several scale model boats and countless on road and off road vehicles, and even a Tamiya King Tiger RC tank, dabbled a bit in the 00's and then stopped for quite a while. I just recently had the itch to get my old gear out and see what still worked. So the models I currently have are an AE #6035 RC10 Team Car buggy with an RPM Ultra Molded buggy chassis, an AE #3035 RC10TC3 Factory Team touring car and an old Graupner Taifun electric hydroplane. LOTS has changed since then, some for the better, some worse, in my opinion. Hardly any kits anymore, almost everything is RTR, big bummer! Looking around for something new, I don't see too much that interests me. I think I'll just get another TC3 or TC4 for my son and keep on rolling. I'll probably be starting or continuing threads about new stuff, learning as I go. Glad to be here!
Attachments
RC stable small.jpg

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Re: Old school guy checking in!

Post by BattleTrak »

Welcome!
-Brad

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Welcome! Feel free to put up more pictures. I also like driving a TC3.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

OldSchoolGuy
Approved Member

Post by OldSchoolGuy »

More pictures? No problem! Well, small problem. Kind of annoying that the forum software will only accept small pictures, so I have to resize everything. Another fact of technology progressing- all new cellphones take MASSIVE sized pictures, even on their smallest settings. Oh well...

Anyways, here they are!

Tech stuff- the TC3 is running a Novak Super Sport SS5800 brushless/ESC combo, I think it was their very first brushless motor. Also using a Novak FM XXL receiver with Futaba S3002 steering servo.
The RC10 with RPM Ultra Molded chassis is running a Novak Tempest ESC with a brushed Big Jim Racing motor (16T quad I think), stock Futaba PCM1024 receiver and S132H steering servo. This car has been pretty much indestructible since I've had it. It's been crashed, cartwheeled, flipped and everything else you can think of and nothing ever breaks or bends. The RPM chassis is brilliant! Too bad they don't make them anymore and have stated they never will again.

I am planning on cleaning and overhauling both of these cars soon. Total tear down and starting over once everything has been thoroughly cleaned. The only thing that is noticeably wearing on the RC10 is the driveshafts. They have quite a bit of slop in them and need to be replaced. I think these are the standard RC10 Team car driveshafts. Are they still available? Or what would be a more durable replacement? The other thing is that a few people have stated how rare the RPM Ultra Molded chassis is and just display it as a shelf queen because it's too valuable to run anymore. What do you think about that?

Just last night I bought an AE RC10TC3 RTR that comes with a 2.4GHz radio and Team Orion brushless/ESC combo for my son. Haven't received it yet but at least we will both have the same car to run together.
Attachments
RC10TC3 detail small.jpg
RC10 RPM Ultra Molded small.jpg
RC10 cousins small.jpg

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Very nice, yea a complete all white UM-RC10 is now widely considered a pretty rare piece to have. Maybe just some light occasional running sans the cartwheeling :lol:
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)