RC10DS - From New York To Paris... Ron Paris

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LoboNYC
Approved Member

RC10DS - From New York To Paris... Ron Paris

Post by LoboNYC »

Happy New Year to everyone here on RC10Talk!

Now that the Chevy DS project is coming to an end, I sat here today thinking of what a year 2020 has been. I started the Chevy DS started during quarantine when toilet paper and hand sanitizer became a hot commodity. I was unemployed for two months having purchased a house 6 months earlier. Depression from lockdown and isolation. The sudden change of life and the deaths around us. It was a struggle, we were scared but we managed. The silver lining? REALIZATION. Our eyes are opened to what is important. quality time with my wife and daughter. More communication with my family and friends. The food on the table. We thank God everyday for our little home. We are grateful for the time we spend with each other. May 2021 be a better year for everyone here and everyone close to us.

So I will start this thread a day and a half before the new year... It is called "RC10DS - From New York To Paris... Ron Paris" :wink:

Back in 1997 Dynamite put out a kit with Ron Paris, The Nitro Guru of the day. The 12 PD Conversion Kit available was for the Dynamite Engines as well as O.S. The PD stands for Paris-Dished which meant the piston head is dished. It came with a cylinder sleeve, connecting rod with oil channels on both sides, pin, crankshaft, shims and red engine head. Did this give you an extra edge? or create a headache with the need to adjust compression via shims? inquiring minds want to know :lol: Of course Ron Paris had a line of nitro pipes that are sought after... I remember having one on my GT (but quickly swapped it for the MIP 360 Stinger) and another (AL650) on my 1:8 scale Ofna Pirate. For this build I will update a dynamite engine I've had for some time with the Paris kit and pair it off to a Paris Stiletto nitro pipe. Rather than open a new DS boxed kit I will use a partially started DS ive had in a box. It will be the foundation of this build. My parts bin produced a set of Cliff Lett titanium hinge pins and turnbuckles as well as MIP shiny CVD's. Oh, the bin also produced some new/old stock factory team shocks. I don't know what body will top off this build but i'm leaning towards the HPI Ford GT40 or 65 Shelby Mustang. Maybe modify the front axles to accept a set of Shelby aluminum wheels like the Gulf mustang.... Who knows. In the meantime here are some pics of the start of my 2021 DS project. Enjoy.

romulus22

Re: RC10DS - From New York To Paris... Ron Paris

Post by romulus22 »

I would vote GT body then I started thinking about Cyl head clearance.

Awesome collection of parts, this one will be good!!

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

romulus22 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:09 am I would vote GT body then I started thinking about Cyl head clearance.

Thanks Todd... As you know...I found these parts while cleaning up and organizing.

The clearance is something I didn't think about and it will be an issue. If I recall the HPI nitro GT40 has the cylinder head protruding from the body... Something I'm not crazy about. I guess I'll save that body for an electric DS.

The only body I find cool for an exposed cylinder head setup is a pickup truck body.

I'll have to re think this.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

good point about the gt40 body and I always loved that body. Seen it on a ntc3 back when they were new and decided it was NOT for a nitro...unless you used that body with a LD heatsink. Those aren't Great performers but for a mild runner or shelfer they are nice :wink:

Either way, I'm looking forward to this build...
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

I saw that body and thought for a split-second of the Coyote from Hardcastle and McCormick.
72c13sym8up41.jpg
72c13sym8up41.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
72c13sym8up41.jpg
72c13sym8up41.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
Hope you're doin' something fun.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:37 pm I saw that body and thought for a split-second of the Coyote from Hardcastle and McCormick.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Beautiful! They need to make bodies like this available for RC's :mrgreen:

DanIsGo

Post by DanIsGo »

Hi there, any chance you could post pictures of the instructions for the ron paris conversions? I am rebuilding a dynamite .12pd and would like to make sure this old engine wasn't messed with and that i get it put back together correctly. Thanks in advance!

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

DanIsGo wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:57 pm Hi there, any chance you could post pictures of the instructions for the ron paris conversions? I am rebuilding a dynamite .12pd and would like to make sure this old engine wasn't messed with and that i get it put back together correctly. Thanks in advance!
Here you go...

Right click on image and save...then you can zoom to read

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

LoboNYC wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:53 am
romulus22 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:09 am I would vote GT body then I started thinking about Cyl head clearance.

Thanks Todd... As you know...I found these parts while cleaning up and organizing.

The clearance is something I didn't think about and it will be an issue. If I recall the HPI nitro GT40 has the cylinder head protruding from the body... Something I'm not crazy about. I guess I'll save that body for an electric DS.

The only body I find cool for an exposed cylinder head setup is a pickup truck body.

I'll have to re think this.
Hey bud I have Bolink style Carbon Fiber lowering towers available now for the DS so we can run the truck bodies that are available and run them at the proper height specially the rear.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

KidAgain wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:48 am
Hey bud I have Bolink style Carbon Fiber lowering towers available now for the DS so we can run the truck bodies that are available and run them at the proper height specially the rear.
Thanks brother DS. I will definitely keep that in mind.

DanIsGo

Post by DanIsGo »

Thanks a bunch, much appreciated. now i just have to decide if i'm going to delete the pull start or not.

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

Any update on this project?

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

lowrydesign wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:06 pm Any update on this project?
Unfortunately No Progress lowrydesign. Thank you for asking as well as reminding me of this project. The project is in a box under my work bench.

During Covid i gave up my RC Hobby room and moved everything to a storage unit. We converted the RC room into a space for my wife to work from home for that time. She felt bad that i was unable to work on anything RC so after a year she had an 8 x 10 shed built for me in our back yard just for my RC stuff. A lot of my projects are in boxes, this being one of them, along with an RC250, and multiple DS cars both nitro an electric.

I forget those are there and end up working on projects that are visible on my shelves.

Currently im messing with the nitro DS Lambo. Swapping out a diablo body for a gallardo :D

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

Oh man i feel ya on loosing your space.
Those ron paris pipes you have sure are bitchin. What era are those from?
I just scored a 12pd motor nib for my gtx build and have been looking at pipes trying to figure out whats correct for the time frame.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

I believe the Ron Paris turbo pipes would be correct for that era but he also had the stiletto pipes for right and tenth scale cars and a smaller chambered pipe for tenth scale buggies that was used on the box art GT. The bigger pipe AL650 was mainly for eighth scale buggies... But it was a porker of a pipe. It was chambered as well.