My Vintage Schumacher Daytona Project...

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage Schumacher Daytona Project...

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Another small update....

I've been working on the gear mesh ever since I mounted the Irvine engine. When I sent it to RJ for him to play with, I sent up Nitro 10 versions, which come with smaller clutch pinions (25T in this case). The Nitro 10 range have pretty much set ratios (pinion and spur pairs), so I needed to provision accordinglty. However, 25T in the Daytona would only equate to a top speed of 22mph (35kmh), which would mean too much acceleration, and plenty donuts (with my terrible driving skills).

The Daytona does, however, have it's own optional pinions available - 47T and 53T. These should be able to give some much nicer top speed, and I'm sure I can sacrifice a little acceleration for such a good cause! They are fairly rare parts, but luckily for me, I have new spares of each, and so picked out a fresh 53T bag from the collection.
Gear Chart.jpg
Then the problems started......
- I couldn't undo the clutch pinion nut to save myself! It was so tight, and would just turn the motor. This caused a delay for a few weeks, as I tried to work out how best to get the barstool nyloc nut to disengage! Thankfully, advice from a few good mates put me on the right track (eventually), and I was able to lock the engine up enough to disengage the nut, and remove the smaller pinion. After that, the 53T one went on like a breeze.... well....
- Unfortunately, once I tightened down the 53T, it was found to be fouling on the engine mount, so that had to be loosened aff, adjusted, and then the whole shebang was tightened up again. Result! The pinion now spins (relatively) freely.... will fully free up after some running.
- So next step was to mount the spur to match (89T, according to the gear chart). This is where the next issue presented itself.... the combined spur / pinion total for the standard gear ratios is 120 (i.e. 95T spur, 25T pinion). Given this figure, the 53T pinion would require a 67T spur, in order to fit in the allowable space! The gear chart says use an 89T spur though, which gives a combined count of 142T..... NEVER going to fit in the space! This is where I realised why the Daytona chassis has an extra set of engine mounting holes... so the engine was unmounted AGAIN, and put in the now correct holes. Would be good if there was some sort of instruction to mention this :shock: :roll:
Gear Mesh 1.jpg
Gear Mesh 2.jpg
The build came together further from this point, with the installation of the reactor plate and engine tie rod next on the agenda.... and here, the next issue showed itself. The engine tie rod is a brace that mounts from the rear shock tower to the top of the engine mount, and consists of a threaded rod with a rod end at one end, and a pair of nuts at the shock tower end. The one I have..... would suit the engine mounted in the stock position.... to use the larger pinions, I need one about 10mm longer! Dammit..... back to the shed tomorrow, to start looking through parts for a suitable shaft / threaded rod / turnbuckle.

Maybe tomorrow I'll look at mounting the exhaust, and running the fuel pipes as well.... and then I can start on the radio gear. Coming together..... I foresee wheels and tyres before the end of the year! 8)
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

That is looking really good Alex, impressive. The 80 MPH is pretty impressive too, make sure you get it on video :mrgreen:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

An 80 mph nitro car that appears to have the same transmission as a Top Cat. :D Were the internals upgraded for the Daytona? Released in 93, so Cougar 2 Works internals, perhaps?

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

1911Colt wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:27 am An 80 mph nitro car that appears to have the same transmission as a Top Cat. :D Were the internals upgraded for the Daytona? Released in 93, so Cougar 2 Works internals, perhaps?
The transmission internals are certainly improved over the TopCat and original Cougar. This is the Daytona diff from the manual:
Daytona Diff.JPG
According to the manual, it utilises the alloy washer carriers and round diff washers, as seen in the Cougar2 Team and Works, but with the bushes usually seen in the normal Cougar2 version (plastic trilobe plates and washers). This is from the Cougar2 manual.
C2 Diff.JPG
I am pretty sure mine is not alloy, but I'm too scared to pull it apart, as it just feels so smooth. Might have to look at a few of my others, and see if any of them have alloy washer carriers.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

At 80 mph I think the differences in you tri lobe washers would be the least of your concerns.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

RC10th wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:35 pm At 80 mph I think the differences in you tri lobe washers would be the least of your concerns.
Well, you can say that, as you've seen me drive... :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :shock:
Osiris is the key.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:39 pm
RC10th wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:35 pm At 80 mph I think the differences in you tri lobe washers would be the least of your concerns.

And make sure your little pee pee is functioning properly so you don't have an accident.

20231218_112048.jpg
20231218_112048.jpg (50.83 KiB) Viewed 170 times
20231218_112048.jpg
20231218_112048.jpg (50.83 KiB) Viewed 170 times
photo credit GoMachV

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

RC10th wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:19 pm
Incredible_Serious wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:39 pm

And make sure your little pee pee is functioning properly so you don't have an accident.

20231218_112048.jpg
photo credit GoMachV
What you do with your little pee-pee is between you and your doctor. :roll:
Osiris is the key.