Picture of the day. (Taken by you)

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: Picture of the day. (Taken by you)

Post by Incredible_Serious »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:41 pm 17 hours into Deathstorm2024 and this, I haven't touched my driveway yet except for the tire tracks. I'm 60 miles straight east of Todd for reference. People were freaking and raiding the grocery stores and emptying shelves over the weekend for this supposedly brutal storm :lol: :lol:

image000000 (12).jpg
Nothing like a little media beat-up fear-mongering.....

Seeing as you're close enough to the Toddmeister, maybe you should go to his place and throw rocks at his windows..... just to see if he's okay and all :lol: :lol: :lol:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Jerry,

Looks like we survived round 1 with more on the way tonight and tomorrow. Was kinda disappointed with all the hype it was getting. It definitely beats the 5-8inchs of "flurries " we got several years ago though.
Lowgear wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:18 am It's something that if I never saw it again, it would be too soon. :lol:
Getting there myself...actually really been there for awhile now but can't get away from the shituation at the moment.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:57 pm

Nothing like a little media beat-up fear-mongering.....

Now its got to be true if its on the internet :roll:
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

klavy69 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:11 pm Jerry,

Looks like we survived round 1 with more on the way tonight and tomorrow. Was kinda disappointed with all the hype it was getting. It definitely beats the 5-8inchs of "flurries " we got several years ago though.
I would like to take the kid sledding though, so kind of hoping we get something halfass worthwhile.
-Jerry-

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

R6cowboy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:32 am I would like to take the kid sledding though, so kind of hoping we get something halfass worthwhile.
Who needs snow for that? Just tie the sleds to the back of the ol' grocery getter and have at'r. :mrgreen:

Don't tell the wife I called her the grocery getter. :? :( :x :wink: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Cheating a bit as it's a YouTube clip but it was today and by me .
I've suspected we had a badger coming to our garden for over a year but never seen it , then last week my wife and daughter came home after dark and saw it scurrying off , that was enough for me to go on Amazon and find a cheap night vision trail camera , it arrived yesterday and I put it out last night by the bird tables where I'd seen signs of digging , I thought I'd get days or weeks only capturing the local cats but I got footage of the badger first time , I'm absurdly pleased :D even if it's only a short clip with the badger in the corner . I've put it out tonight in a better position and played with the settings so fingers crossed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhAZBNgL49s

If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

Dadio wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:09 pm I thought I'd get days or weeks only capturing the local cats
:lol:

That is literally all my trail camera has ever gotten...

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

klavy69 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:11 pm Jerry,

Lowgear wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:18 am It's something that if I never saw it again, it would be too soon. :lol:
Getting there myself...actually really been there for awhile now but can't get away from the shituation at the moment.

Todd

Same here. A lot of my relatives, and people I've known have moved to warmer climates over the years. That comes with its own weather related problems though like drought, tornadoes, and hurricanes for example. So It's a pick your poison scenario depending on where you think you'd be the happiest living. I don't need to be somewhere that's warm year round, I'm just tired of it being cold here from around mid October to mid April every year. Maybe it's a result of getting older. :| :lol:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Dadio wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:09 pm Cheating a bit as it's a YouTube clip but it was today and by me .
I've suspected we had a badger coming to our garden for over a year but never seen it , then last week my wife and daughter came home after dark and saw it scurrying off , that was enough for me to go on Amazon and find a cheap night vision trail camera , it arrived yesterday and I put it out last night by the bird tables where I'd seen signs of digging , I thought I'd get days or weeks only capturing the local cats but I got footage of the badger first time , I'm absurdly pleased :D even if it's only a short clip with the badger in the corner . I've put it out tonight in a better position and played with the settings so fingers crossed.

We had a groundhog here a few years ago causing problems. It was the first time seeing one in person. My father ended up having to buy a trap to catch it with. Then drove it to a reservoir, and let it go there.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Lowgear wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:18 pm
Dadio wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:09 pm Cheating a bit as it's a YouTube clip but it was today and by me .

We had a groundhog here a few years ago causing problems. It was the first time seeing one in person. My father ended up having to buy a trap to catch it with. Then drove it to a reservoir, and let it go there.
The badger is very welcome as far as I'm concerned ,cattle farmers hate them as they are thought to spread bovine TB , the farm I live opposite has poultry ,sheep and goats and the place is surrounded by badger sets so I guess he's not bothered , he's happy blowing away fox's all day long though .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I admittedly don't know much about badgers or what kind of damage they cause. I was curious to see if they even live around here as I've never seen one. I looked it up, and not only don't they live here, they don't exist on the entire east coast of the US. We do have red foxes though as I caught one on my trail cam once, and another time one decided to take a half hour nap in the back yard. Both of those sightings were in the winter.

Right after posting about having the groundhog a few years ago, I was informed that we may have another one that's making its home under the pool shed. How weird of a coincidence is that?!

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Lowgear wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:38 pm pool shed
You have a pool?
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

coxbros1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:48 pm
You have a pool?
Or a pool table in a shed , not sure wich I'd choose to be honest , probably the pool table .
I know very little about the damage ground hogs do but domestically badgers don't really cause any damage , they can cause erosion of river banks if the build a set there , badger sets can be huge as they are communal animals , some sets can be very old as well , I've lived here 18 years and there were sets here that were old then and still in use now .

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

coxbros1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:48 pm
You have a pool?
I have a pool but I don't own a pool. :P It's my parents in-ground, kidney shaped, heated, with multicolored light... pool. I've bought several R/C boats to use in it over the past 11 years, and not a single one has touched water yet. :oops: I usually only go in it once or twice a season, and spend the rest of the time complaining about how much of a humongous pain it is to maintain every year. Let me just say that owning a pool in the forest is an exercise in futility. That is along with the rest of their property I spend my days involved in. :roll: :)

Dadio wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:46 am Or a pool table in a shed , not sure wich I'd choose to be honest , probably the pool table .
I know very little about the damage ground hogs do but domestically badgers don't really cause any damage , they can cause erosion of river banks if the build a set there , badger sets can be huge as they are communal animals , some sets can be very old as well , I've lived here 18 years and there were sets here that were old then and still in use now .
Badgers sound a lot better than groundhogs who destroy the ground as their name implies, along with anything in it. Wires, foundations, irrigation systems, etc... The main concern for us though is protecting our extensive flower and vegetable gardens. They can decimate those in short order. With it being winter it's not that much of a concern but they're definitely a critter we don't want setting up shop here any time of the year. I'm just glad it decided to burrow under the pool shed, and not into the greenhouse which is next to it.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

Lowgear wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:38 am
Badgers sound a lot better than groundhogs who destroy the ground as their name implies, along with anything in it. Wires, foundations, irrigation systems, etc... The main concern for us though is protecting our extensive flower and vegetable gardens. They can decimate those in short order. With it being winter it's not that much of a concern but they're definitely a critter we don't want setting up shop here any time of the year. I'm just glad it decided to burrow under the pool shed, and not into the greenhouse which is next to it.
Yeah, very destructive fellows. I have "removed" 5 groundhogs using a non-politically correct method at my place.