Dusting off the ol' RC10

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LittleBear1093

Dusting off the ol' RC10

Post by LittleBear1093 »

Hi everyone,

Now that my kids are old enough, I pulled out my old RC10 from the late 1980's for some fun. I was surprised and pleased to find that there are so many fans of the car still out there!

After a little tinkering and a new battery, we're driving the car pretty well. I have a few questions (and wonder if this is the right place to post them).

1) The steering turnbuckles keep popping off - I replaced the cups with new ones but they still keep coming off over jumps and large bumps. Is this common? Is there a good remedy?

2) I have an after market chassis, a "Real Racing" tube frame (#0029, stamped on the bottom). We all think it looks awesome but are we bashing around with something super valuable? I found a couple of people talking about the frame on these boards years ago, but almost no references to it anywhere else.

3) on the chassis - I'd like to put new body panels on it as I'm not fond of my 14-year old self's choice of stickers, and it's partly broken. The body panels use a sort of push faster that is similar to the body panel fasteners for full scale cars. I've gone to the parts store and tried a few that should be the right size, but no luck. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to attach a body panel to a 5mm hole (see pictures)?

Thanks!
Dave
a20240209_191306.jpg
a20240209_191237.jpg
a20240209_191221.jpg
a20240209_191200.jpg

Frankentruck

Re: Dusting off the ol' RC10

Post by Frankentruck »

Welcome! I personally think that's probably a rare valuable chassis. I've never seen one in person, and maybe just once searching thos site. Your buggy has some nice front suspension arms too. For some general use, probably should be disassembled and have all the nylon rehydrated, and possibly swap out some of the nice expensive parts like the chassis and those front arms. I have a basher-quality gold pan I could donate but you'd need to find a nose plate.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Welcome, awesome buggy 8)
If anyone makes a clip like that it’ll be these guys.
https://www.auveco.com/auveco
Enjoy looking through em because I can’t figure out how to search them on their site without a part number :D
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

LittleBear1093

Post by LittleBear1093 »

Frankentruck wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:39 pm Welcome! I personally think that's probably a rare valuable chassis. I've never seen one in person, and maybe just once searching thos site. Your buggy has some nice front suspension arms too. For some general use, probably should be disassembled and have all the nylon rehydrated, and possibly swap out some of the nice expensive parts like the chassis and those front arms. I have a basher-quality gold pan I could donate but you'd need to find a nose plate.
Thanks very much for the offer and the advice. I still have the original gold pan so I can swap back to that. It's pretty scratched up and has taken a lot of hits to the nose. My friend's driveway had a sweet concrete "jump" that we used to take and then try not to hit the garage wall.

I didn't mention it, but the car also has an A&L Lethal Weapon belt transmission. I'm thinking to swap it out to the old 6 gear because that belt is probably pretty brittle after 30 years. Also, it's finicky as the diff loosens up every now and then.