HyperGo 14301 ESC & 7.2V vs 7.4V LiIon battery issue

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

HyperGo 14301 ESC & 7.2V vs 7.4V LiIon battery issue

Post by Coelacanth »

Hi Everyone, I don't know if many of you have experience with these Hyper Go 14301 RC trucks, but I have a problem with one, maybe someone has some insight.

I encountered a strange issue with my 14301's ESC. With the included 2000 mAh LiIon battery, as well as two 2600 mAh LiIon batteries I bought as upgrades, the car will power up and steer, but won't throttle either forward or reverse. The red light on the ESC flashes slowly to indicate low power. These batteries were charged to full both with their included USB slow-charge cables as well as my ISDT 608AC charger and show 8.8V with my battery tester and the charger. However, when I connect a 2000 mAh LiPo 25C battery, the car works fine. What is going on here? It almost seems like the ESC has a wrong config set in it. I haven't been able to find anyone else with this problem. It's weird because the 2000 mAh LiPo and all the LiIon batteries show the same 8.8V fully charged. The only difference is the chemistry and the C rating. WTF gives?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: MJX Hyper Go 14301 ESC power issue

Post by Coelacanth »

Looking into this a bit more, I learned that 2S LiIon batteries charge up to 8.2V instead of 8.4V for LiPo's. Since both full charge voltages are well above the voltage cutoff for an ESC, I'd assume both types of batteries should still work in this car, but I'm still confused as to why only the 8.4V LiPo works with throttle in this RC car. Unfortunately with no way to check the ESC programming, I can't do much more than guess what's going on to determine why the ESC won't throttle with the LiIon batteries that are meant for it.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: MJX Hyper Go 14301 ESC power issue

Post by Coelacanth »

Since nobody seems to know what's happening here, I did more research and will update this topic in case other people encounter similar issues.

Apparently, the latest LiIon batteries are 7.4V, not 7.2V. The manufacturers state to charge them with the LiPo setting on your charger, *not* the LiIon setting, which will undercharge them to 7.2V.

I have 2 chargers, both are ISDT 608AC chargers, and they only seem to auto-detect these LiIon batteries as 7.2V and aren't charging them up enough. I could find no way to modify that voltage, and one of the chargers would only default to LiHV for chemistry. I found a firmware update for my older 608AC and after the update, it will let me choose among all the different chemistries. I should now be able to choose the LiPo charge setting and the 7.4V LiIon battery will charge properly to full capacity.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?s=05e42977f34ed718651d8cb47b2aae75&t=350351#post3239185

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: HyperGo 14301 ESC & 7.2V vs 7.4V LiIon battery issue

Post by Dadio »

For this truck I'd try RCGROUPS Forum , way more people there are likely to know more about it , sorry i can't help more .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.