Getting the big Fairlane back on the road.... Going the whole 9 inches

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

1911Colt
Approved Member

Re: Getting the big Fairlane back on the road.... Going the whole 9 inches

Post by 1911Colt »

Very cool!

You're right. Pretty much no one rebuilds springs and more. General Spring had the original spring for my 63 Comet, even had the 6 leaf version for factory V8 cars. That was a shocker as no one makes anything for Comets. The only parts available for it are those that happen to also fit Mustang/Falcon/Fairlane.

I should have rebuilt mine, but in my defense, I am very lazy.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Hardly anyone rebuilds anything anymore, most just replace with cheap Chinese junk.

These cars are weird in the fact that it seems like Australia took over the Mustang platform when the US was done with them. Look at the Cleveland, Australia kept producing them up till 1982. Mustang gear in a luxury sedan, reminds me of the Lincoln LSC in the states :)

I thought about just replacing the springs as well with new ones but I like the ride, and didn't want to deal with spring settling etc. Restoring original comet stuff is probably a LOT more expensive than just replacing with off the shelf Mustang stuff.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

RC10th wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:26 am These cars are weird in the fact that it seems like Australia took over the Mustang platform when the US was done with them.
Funny you mention that. I bought a dash pad for my Comet from someone in Australia. Apparently Australia's version of the 66 Ranchero was based on the 63 Comet. :? Very strange as in the US, the Ranchero was always based on the Falcon, and by 66 the body style had already changed twice. :lol:

I love that Australia kept the Cleveland alive. Ford US definitely made a bad call in letting it die so soon here. The Windsor line had many advantages over the Cleveland, but they should have at least kept the Cleveland heads. That was the best of both worlds. We only ever got that combo with the 69 and 70 Boss 302s.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Springs are done and test fit....

There was a little bit of an unexpected consequence for rebuilding the spring packs that I never thought about, but makes perfect sense. Replacing the 45 year old spring slipper pads with new ones put a little more arch back into the springs, so it will be interesting to see where the car settles once it is on its own feet.

20240211_220225.jpg

These clamps were a real pain to put on. I think they were for a 3 leaf spring without slipper pads as they were tighter than the old ones, but the rubber insulator is a little thinner, so I dunno. I kinda wish I cleaned up and reused the originals instead of buying new ones. At least I still have them as backups.

20240211_220010.jpg

And test fit so I could bolt the exhaust back up and check the shackles since they are from a different car .......

20240211_215937.jpg

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

Are you doing any of the old racer tricks, like clamping the leaves in front of the axle and un-clamping the rear?

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

1911Colt wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:35 am Are you doing any of the old racer tricks, like clamping the leaves in front of the axle and un-clamping the rear?
Sorry, I didn't see your post. Probably not at this stage as I bought a set of tramp rod brackets which sort of 4 link the rear. It's a pretty simple but clever idea, I like the fact that it's inconspicuous for the sleeper aspect.

rod.jpg
rod.jpg (21.84 KiB) Viewed 128 times
rod.jpg
rod.jpg (21.84 KiB) Viewed 128 times

I bought the finest drag shocks that money can buy..... Monroe Matics, They have a poor review rating :lol:

There aren't really any double adjustable shocks in the lengths I need so these cheapies will do. The old shocks that came off the car were Wylie, Monroe bought the company in 1985.

20240222_213634.jpg

This leads me to wanting to make some Wile E decals that say "ACME Drag Shocks" for shits and giggles if someone has a look under the car.

Also after a bit of thought (being a one man show) I made a basic cart/cradle to roll the diff around and jack it up underneath without having to wrestle with it or balance it on the jack pad.

20240222_213341.jpg
20240222_213258.jpg

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

RC10th wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:54 am
This leads me to wanting to make some Wile E decals that say "ACME Drag Shocks" for shits and giggles if someone has a look under the car.
Coming along nicely! If you end up getting the S's&G's decals for the shocks....I'm one of those weirdos that gets on his belly to have a look at the undercarriages at the carshows.

And being a one man show....take pride. I had a T-shirt idea once. Some type of depiction of a dude on a creeper with, "Real Men Do It On Their Backs!"
Hope you're doin' something fun.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I wasn't going to post this but speaking of sleeper I checked that the stock 14" rims still fit the Moser axles and the speed discs :lol: Those Bridgestone tires also have a poor rating, and occasionally they come up on a buy 3 get one free deal, I don't really expect them to last too long anyways, lol.

20240203_234757.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:20 am
RC10th wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:54 am
Coming along nicely! If you end up getting the S's&G's decals for the shocks....I'm one of those weirdos that gets on his belly to have a look at the undercarriages at the carshows.

And being a one man show....take pride. I had a T-shirt idea once. Some type of depiction of a dude on a creeper with, "Real Men Do It On Their Backs!"

Thanks...

That's a great idea on the t-shirt :D Not sure if your familiar with Aussie liquor laws and car culture but my wife back in the day had shirts made with a blown Commodore on it that said " If you drink and drive a V8 your a bloody legend". :lol: She only has one left which is too small. Would be cool to have some remade...

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

RC10th wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:26 am
20240203_234757.jpg
Where have I seen those hubcaps before?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.27 KiB) Viewed 118 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.27 KiB) Viewed 118 times
20231109_124311.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Similar, these caps are quite hard to find now and very rarely pop up for sale

This is my goal so to say albeit WAY more rusty and dented.

1978-ford-fairlane-marquis-sedan-2.jpg

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

I love it! It reminds me of the Burt Reynolds car in the movie "White Lightning". It may have been in "Gator" as well; can't recall.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40.35 KiB) Viewed 108 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40.35 KiB) Viewed 108 times

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

RC10th wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:54 am I bought the finest drag shocks that money can buy..... Monroe Matics, They have a poor review rating :lol:

There aren't really any double adjustable shocks in the lengths I need so these cheapies will do. The old shocks that came off the car were Wylie, Monroe bought the company in 1985.
Before I upgraded the suspension in my car, it ran high 6's in the 1/8 with cheap Monroe shocks and drag radials.

If you are having traction issues at this power level, it probably isn't because of the shocks.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

1911Colt wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:26 am I love it! It reminds me of the Burt Reynolds car in the movie "White Lightning". It may have been in "Gator" as well; can't recall.
It's funny how tastes in cars change. I used to like cars that looked fast even if they were slow to cars that look slow but are fast.

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:59 am
RC10th wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:54 am I bought the finest drag shocks that money can buy..... Monroe Matics, They have a poor review rating :lol:

Before I upgraded the suspension in my car, it ran high 6's in the 1/8 with cheap Monroe shocks and drag radials.

If you are having traction issues at this power level, it probably isn't because of the shocks.
That's not too shabby. I was looking at the cheap competition engineering 3 way shocks since the Calvert's lengths were all wrong. I couldn't get past the poor quality issues and short lifespan that seemed to be a reoccurring theme with them. I would have bought the Koni red's but I didn't want a sporty ride either, lol.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Nearly done..... Just gotta torque the u-bolts so I can set the car down under its own weight to measure for drive shaft length. Those Strange 1350 u-joints are pretty big, and couple them with a 3.5" driveshaft... beefy.!

I don't know why those parking brake cable sleeves are orange, I'll have to paint them.

20240226_002137.jpg

20240225_215010.jpg