Things that irritate you

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Things that irritate you

Post by GoMachV »

Oh wow, that's nuts. I have a couple firetv's and have started using the cheap $20 Walmart onn googletv dongles instead of the built in unit as they are way faster. Drives me bonkers that they would build in a device and not make sure it's usable.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:00 pm today its eBay again.

An international customer (I do not allow international sales on eBay due to their stupid policies, yet eBay forced me into their global shipping garbage anyway) purchased 4 items from me, and eBay wants me to send them all individually to their shipping hub. They say they need to be able to track the items individually :roll: They published a letter dated December where they said they had a lot of sellers ask about this and have now created a system where you can send all items for a single buyer together, like combined shipping. Makes sense, that's how it should be. BUT, since I offer FREE SHIPPING on all my listings, there is no combined shipping...so I don't qualify 🤨🤯 I swear, every ####### day eBay manages to piss me off a little more. Now instead of one well packed, insured package, I have 4 small packages that cost me over 3x as much and will likely arrive at 4 different times. So now I added a shipping fee, a flat $5 per order. Maybe that will work, or better yet people will get a clue and order off the website where its cheaper for both of us. Still boggles my mind that I have good, regular customers that will pay more money through eBay for the same item. But thats another rant.
I literally just went through this with someone from the UK buying from me and I offered free shipping.

Side question what is your eBay store? I’m sellthestuffyouwant. I was always reluctant to pin myself here to the store but these days it’s purely a hobby and all of it is fun to me. Even if I pay more on eBay.

What we do is a kind of card trading. Like baseball cards back then, or magic cards for the modern generation.

We get these parts and sometimes we don’t open them. Sometimes we find doubles. Sometimes we replace the part with a better or different color. 🤣 So we sell or trade and then buy more.

The whole time building this imaginable car in your head with no intent of building it haha JOKING 🫠

This is all hilarious to me the more I think about it. A member here bought the first part from me that I sold in 2 years on eBay. Couldn’t find a recent sale didn’t know its value really. I list it. It sells in 2 hours. Cool as hell I recognize the name. 1.5 months later the part pops up as recommended for 3x more and it’s the same buyer. Touché🫰

😂make no mistake though I love this game

GoMachV wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:14 pm Oh wow, that's nuts. I have a couple firetv's and have started using the cheap $20 Walmart onn googletv dongles instead of the built in unit as they are way faster. Drives me bonkers that they would build in a device and not make sure it's usable.
I’ll never buy another Samsung device.

I always say a prayer and pet nicely the 3000$ pair of LG washer dryers I walk by in my laundry room every day. Secretly wishing I never sold my 2000s Kenmore 80/90 series combo and got my wife something “new and nice” for mothers days a few years back. They’ve been ok though.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

mAdMan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:53 pm I can’t embed it for some reason. But this tv worked perfect until the first forced update a few years ago.
Probably because it's age restricted/gotta sign in to view it?
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

mAdMan wrote:
Side question what is your eBay store? I’m sellthestuffyouwant. I was always reluctant to pin myself here to the store but these days it’s purely a hobby and all of it is fun to me. Even if I pay more on eBay.
factoryworksrc is the ebay store, www.factoryworks.com is the website
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

Halgar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:28 pm
mAdMan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:53 pm I can’t embed it for some reason. But this tv worked perfect until the first forced update a few years ago.
Probably because it's age restricted/gotta sign in to view it?
It’s a private unlisted video. I think you’ll have to sign in.

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

Guys I want to share my RC habit with you but it’s just so hard now with technology

YouTube gave me 2 copyrights for the private video I made for this thread 😂 I can’t even.

And then to top it off I made a video to show my GT2 high speed running and it won’t give my videos titles now. All brand new tech BS things I’ve never had to deal with before 🤣 I give up today

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

As it pertains to all this talk regarding technology, many good points have been made on both sides. It's something that can be discussed for hours on end. Technology is of course a requirement for the advancement of humankind. The issue starts when it creates more problems than it solves, especially when it isn't necessary. When that happens, it's not an advancement of any kind, it's a regression. Companies these days are forced to innovate their products every year for marketing's sake to stay competitive thus remaining in business. It doesn't matter if the changes end up making the product worse as in a few years it will be obsolete anyway, and they're on to something else repeating the cycle. It's the equivalent of a snake eating its own tail.

The bottom line with all our tech gripes is that we have the freedom of choice like I mentioned in a previous post. If we don't like or feel something is worthwhile, we don't have to buy it if there's alternatives available. Don't like vehicles that are literally a disposable computer on wheels, there's nothing forcing us to buy one whatsoever. As long as it keeps up with modern traffic, we can buy any vehicle from any period in time we like. It's the same with appliances or anything else really. We're currently living in a transitional period, but in the distant future when any of this new tech that we feel is making our lives worse becomes the forced norm when the alternatives are gone, there's a good chance many of us won't be around any longer. So the next time you have to buy something, really think about it, and make an informed choice that suits your preference. :)

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Lowgear wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:18 pm So the next time you have to buy something, really think about it, and make an informed choice that suits your preference. :)
We don't make impulse buys, we literally research everything, trying to find the best overall unit, let alone one that suits our needs, and, God forbid, it might last longer than a change of underwear. Doesn't matter what it is, there have been problems with every single purchase. We went through 4 hand blenders before finding one worth owning. Bought a food processor, the blades ate the container within a month and it had to be replaced. Bought a pizza cutter, online it showed being all metal and larger than what arrived, which was mostly cheap plastic and a smaller diameter than expected. These items were not cheap, we weren't searching for the least expensive, yet what ultimately is out there is basically garbage, no matter brand, name, or reputation. Bought a document scanner, wouldn't run on our brand new computers AND it had a black bed, because gee, you don't actually want to see what you're scanning, right? (black background = the entire page being mostly shadow and black ink). It went back and we're trying to find a different one. Unfortunately, the recommendation to "be informed" does little good when the product has little information available or is misrepresented altogether.

Another quick side rant on technology . . . Why is everything based on MacroCrap products, which are known to be the absolute worst products on the market from one of the worst corporations in the industry? We personally use Linux, but 99% of all software is based on the flawed junk that MacroCrap puts out, simply because MacroCrap has a monopoly on the industry. The few software items available that were usable, no longer support Linux. There are a few relatively decent (user-wise) that will suffice are either Russian or Chinese, which get a big NO THANKS from us.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

What irritates me right now? Trying to find the few remaining parts for my cheap Durango DESC410R project build....

This is the online page of a store here in Australia, which once had the part:
Durango1.JPG
And here's a part I can buy on eBay, from China of all places:
Durango2.JPG
I don't have many parts left to complete this NIB kit (so I can build it!).... but the ones I'm missing all seem to be the rare, hard-to-source parts that nobody has any more :(

Might have to put a WANTED post up in the BST ;)
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Halgar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:55 pm
Lowgear wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:18 pm So the next time you have to buy something, really think about it, and make an informed choice that suits your preference. :)
We don't make impulse buys, we literally research everything, trying to find the best overall unit, let alone one that suits our needs, and, God forbid, it might last longer than a change of underwear. Doesn't matter what it is, there have been problems with every single purchase. We went through 4 hand blenders before finding one worth owning. Bought a food processor, the blades ate the container within a month and it had to be replaced. Bought a pizza cutter, online it showed being all metal and larger than what arrived, which was mostly cheap plastic and a smaller diameter than expected. These items were not cheap, we weren't searching for the least expensive, yet what ultimately is out there is basically garbage, no matter brand, name, or reputation. Bought a document scanner, wouldn't run on our brand new computers AND it had a black bed, because gee, you don't actually want to see what you're scanning, right? (black background = the entire page being mostly shadow and black ink). It went back and we're trying to find a different one. Unfortunately, the recommendation to "be informed" does little good when the product has little information available or is misrepresented altogether.

Another quick side rant on technology . . . Why is everything based on MacroCrap products, which are known to be the absolute worst products on the market from one of the worst corporations in the industry? We personally use Linux, but 99% of all software is based on the flawed junk that MacroCrap puts out, simply because MacroCrap has a monopoly on the industry. The few software items available that were usable, no longer support Linux. There are a few relatively decent (user-wise) that will suffice are either Russian or Chinese, which get a big NO THANKS from us.
MicroSoftServeClevelandSteamer....same guy that wants you to eat bugs and own nothing!
Hope you're doin' something fun.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I think that guy is how i got live crickets on my door dash app tonight 😂🤦‍♂️

I mean, at least offer them in chocolate right?
Attachments
received_309018208848423.png
Factory Works website

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:45 pm I think that guy is how i got live crickets on my door dash app tonight 😂🤦‍♂️

I mean, at least offer them in chocolate right?
That would probably be funny if it wasn't so serious.... and scary...
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Because it's fitting the topic of stupid tech. :lol:
1.jpg

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Wow... leave the thread for a minute and when you come back it's all chocolate covered bugs and cussing fridges :lol:
mAdMan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:48 am Sorry - I know you work in tech. I’m not devaluing your job...
Zero hurts taken. Opinions are awesome because they give insight into another person's experiences. Shared experiences bring people together. To appropriate a quote from Rene Descartes... "An internet forum shares, therefore it is". ....I'll refrain from singing the chorus to "We Are The World" :mrgreen: :P

I don't like lane assist. Helped make it, but don't like it. However, reconciling technology is an existential can of worms... lane assist sucks, but lane assist will lower automotive fatalities, which is good. People should be better drivers, yet history has proven it's more effective to create better tech than better drivers... the pendulum swings back and forth without end. With regards to cars and unnecessary tech, I'm 100% against it too... but remember, Henry Ford was against hydraulic brakes.

I got dragged into an "owning nothing and like it" conversation 20-odd years ago. I was called a "collector" then because I wanted to own my objects. I don't buy into the concept, others do... Kerouac got a following.... who saw that coming. 🥴

Yes, electric cars will become collectable..."My first car was a Nissan Leaf"... "I always wanted a Tesla Roadster when I was young"... "I haven't seen a Chevy Spark in years, we should fix that up!"... everything considered disposable now will become collectable in the future. Yugo's, Pacers, K-cars, all disposable in the day, all collectable now. No different than the baseball cards lost between the spokes of our parents bicycles. :lol:

Speaking of parents, anyone remember in the 80's getting cornered for help with some electronic item the adults couldn't figure out? To the point they started saying "You need a kid around just to help you program this stuff".... anyone else hear that echo?? :P

I feel for the onslaught that is the learning curve everyone has to deal with on what they thought was going to be something simple. Connecting a TV, uploading a video, buying a lightbulb :roll: I wouldn't stir the pot if I wasn't in it too :mrgreen: :lol:

Oh... and then there's this....
GoMachV wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:00 pm An international customer (I do not allow international sales on eBay due to their stupid policies, yet eBay forced me into their global shipping garbage anyway)
I swear I had to read that four times... I kept seeing "An irrational customer"...

😂 REALLY must pay more attention when reading :lol:

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

I don’t believe electric cars will become collective whatsoever.

For one simple reason. You can buy a new Hellcat and drain the fluids, put it in jackstands. In 30 years it will be worth 3-10 times what you paid. You pour in fluids, add a 300$ battery and drive it away.

You buy any new electric car and store it for 30 years. It will need an obsolete battery replacement that will cost more then anyone is willing to pay for a disposable subscription car. It’s a fact.

The Tesla? The leaf? We have already been shown what happens to them when the batteries fail. They go to China and the Ukraine. Americans won’t even fix them.
https://www.wired.com/story/why-teslas-totaled-in-the-us-are-mysteriously-reincarnated-in-ukraine/