Tamiya SRB: Ranger to Scorcher Question

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Tamiya SRB: Ranger to Scorcher Question

Post by morrisey0 »

I picked up a SRB Ranger awhile back, and decided to pull it out and see what it would take to refresh. I just started into a puller project, but it is starting to sink in that that is a LONG TERM project, so still needs normal builds going on.

I had it in my head that it was the same body as the Blackfoot, and I have a couple of those sitting around, but after comparing the two, not so much. So, then I remembered I ordered a Scorcher rere body and some aluminum wheels when I first got my 4X, and I haven't used them, so maybe they can go on this. I even picked up a roll bar for some reason back then, and I am pretty sure it is the correct one for the Beetle.

Looking through the manuals, the only differences I am noticing between the XLT and Scorcher are the rear roll bar, the wheels/tires, the body, and the engine headers. Does that sound about right? I can't see anything else that clearly denotes this as a Ranger.
Attachments
SRB 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya SRB: Ranger to Scorcher Question

Post by XLR8 »

This is interesting in that most guys convert Scorchers to Rangers since they are so rare. You may want to hold on to those Ranger specific parts in case you change your mind some day. :D
Anyway, having recently restored a Ranger, I can add that the front body post is also different from Scorcher. The Ranger post is very tall.
Looking forward to future updates. :D
Doug

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I did not notice the differences in front body post lengths. Thanks for that! I definitely have the longer Ranger version.

If I stumble across a Ranger body in the future, I will probably make the change back. But no point in it sitting around waiting to see if that day ever happens.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

If you need Sand Scorcher parts, this guy has everything, got a Bag C from him.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn=nitro-master&store_name=rcnitrohobbies

Roll bar:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144428366721

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Yea, my wallet and Nitro_Hobbies are well acquainted. :D

Don't tell him, but I already have a few items on my Watchlist seeing if he will throw me a deal or two.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

If you get really bored I have the step files for the whole rig that I found on grabcad years back. I don't see it there anymore
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

GoMachV wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:54 pm If you get really bored I have the step files for the whole rig that I found on grabcad years back. I don't see it there anymore
I will let know if the need comes up for anything, Thanks! BTW, ordered up a chassis plate a little earlier today. :wink:

Brendan2904
Approved Member

Post by Brendan2904 »

morrisey0 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:41 pm Yea, my wallet and Nitro_Hobbies are well acquainted. :D

Don't tell him, but I already have a few items on my Watchlist seeing if he will throw me a deal or two.
He is a go to for me to lol.