New puretech battery straps compared to originals.

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aconsola
Approved Member

New puretech battery straps compared to originals.

Post by aconsola »

I just got these in today. :shock:
An original Puretech strap. Modern batteries are too long to fit flush on the chassis with the cross bars, and the strap is a bit short for the fatter cells.
puretechstraps_3.jpg
Modern Pure tech goodness, with some vintage for comparison:
puretechstraps_5.jpg
Side by side, the new one is about an inch longer, and the blocks match up size wise. These are actually more like the older blocks which are metal pinned rather than having a plastic bar molded in to attach the straps.
puretechstraps_6.jpg
The new one mounted in a jrx-pro. Modern battery fits well. Nothing to keep the battery from sliding forward on a hard hit or nosedive(I'm the king of those), unless you use servo mount blocks and strategically place the servo.
puretechstraps_8.jpg
http://www.puretechproducts.com/
They are not pictured on the site. I emailed Dwayne via the contact page. I included pix of some of the vintage NIP straps I have had. He was quite surprised that I was not only interested in the older stuff but that I had found them NIP. He said he could make some up, I sent off a check and this is the result. They would probably be better about 1/2-1" shorter overall, but they still look good to me.

civilguy
Approved Member

Re: New puretech battery straps compared to originals.

Post by civilguy »

Wow- before the VONATs I was looking at my frayed PureTech strap in my gold pan. After a late night search I also contacted Dwayne after finding his current website. Same deal, just via email contact, and I had 3 spare straps in my parts box for my RC10.... :lol:
He even managed to scrape up a couple of the cross-bar blocks, so I have one of the three that has those as well! The other two are just like yours Anthony!
Y'all can keep your battery cups... :wink:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I need some how much are they and do you have to contact him or is he going to list them?
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Just contact him through his website (aconsola listed it above)-- either email or call. They were quick to reply and I think it was about $8 a strap, but don't hold me to that. 8)
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

B.I.T.D. some guys use to drill a small hole in the inside of each block and install a small piece of piano wire to keep the batts from sliding foward. of course it should then be covered with heat shrink so it dosent short out exposed cells. i use to see this done when guys were unable to get a hold of the blocks that had the cross bars.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

You could also use some self-adhesive velcro to keep the pack from sliding forward, It would probably only take a small patch to keep it planted.

I got an email from Dwayne at pure-tech who was happy to see the write-up. If he gets enough interest, these may go back into regular production, so order away.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

what straps are the ones in the last picture (the pink modern one), was wondering what size/model it is from their website, i need a black one for a custom project.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

They are not listed on the website and do not appear to have a part#. if you email him he will be able to get you one made up.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

ah great, thats why i was confused, or cant read lol

Weave
Approved Member

Post by Weave »

I received my order for an "original style" strap (old bolt on style mounts with new logo velcro) and one of the PSA double strap units at the end of last week. Good stuff. I haven't installed the bolt on style yet, but foresee trimming of the velcro for a perfect fit. Dwayne at PureTech is aware of the length issue but says that is the only length they currently produce that works. He also mentioned that they may consider producing the bolt on style again if demand continues.

On a side note, the PSA double strap unit worked great in my Tekin conversion. I would recommend it for anyone in the "runner" crowd, or doing a build to race locally or at the Vintage Nats.