Mid Motor XXX-T Build...

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Re: Mid Motor XXX-T Build...

Post by y2kgtp »

Bongo Fury wrote:Keep us posted. I know some X Factory guys, might be able to call on them for advice if needed. I'm guessing that turning will be the least of your worries.
My main concern is something that I can't do much about until I make some serious changes. I had to reverse the motor rotation as the transmission is a 180 flip. The truck is going to react differently mid air jumps to throttle\brake corrections. The new X Factory vehicles have a 4th gear in the trans to make up for this.

I guess if it seems to be a serious problem, I can just move the motor plate to the opposite side of the trans case, and make some new mounts to space it correctly on the opposite side.

But again, I really have so little money in this little project. Truck\radio\esc\motor cost me 143$ shipped on eBay. I bought a 10$ Axial battery hold-down to secure the battery. That's it.

I'm running my DX3S Rx in the truck now, as I pulled the RTR radio out of this, and put it in one of my kid's Slash's.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Depending on the track, I wouldn't get too worried, they ran them with some success before adding the 4th gear. Only really an issue on low traction tracks as I understand it, which seem pretty rare in these days of running slicks in off road. :shock:

Flipping the motor without the extra gear doesn't change either the traction or the in air control, just allows for a normal motor rotation. Seems like the in air control would be less of an issue for a truck, as ya still got those big wheels to help.

P.S. I have the pleasure of regularly watching a certain very talented young racer, who has gotten in the habit of using the steering in air to cross the truck up, like the motocross guys, then straighten it back up before landing. It's hilarious to watch.

Good luck!

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

Bongo Fury wrote:Depending on the track, I wouldn't get too worried, they ran them with some success before adding the 4th gear. Only really an issue on low traction tracks as I understand it, which seem pretty rare in these days of running slicks in off road. :shock:

Flipping the motor without the extra gear doesn't change either the traction or the in air control, just allows for a normal motor rotation. Seems like the in air control would be less of an issue for a truck, as ya still got those big wheels to help.

P.S. I have the pleasure of regularly watching a certain very talented young racer, who has gotten in the habit of using the steering in air to cross the truck up, like the motocross guys, then straighten it back up before landing. It's hilarious to watch.

Good luck!
The trans is flipped 180, so I had to reverse the motor rotation to compensate. It works just fine in either direction. I also contacted Novak about their sensored setups, and thee work just fine either direction as well. My local track is a high bite Blue-groove, so plenty of traction.

Got this from 2wdrc.com:

WHY DO MOST X – 6 OWNERS WANT THE 4-GEAR?

The New Math is a great car, but the 4-Gear makes it so much better. In the original car, when you hit the throttle the rotational mass of the armature throws the car’s weight forward onto the front wheels. The new 4-Gear turns the motor around so now the armature throws the car’s weight back onto the rear wheels, where it belongs, and you can rip on the throttle any time you want.

On a very high grip track, like the astro at Kampanhout, Belgium, there is almost no difference – the original X – 6 is dialed. The looser the racing surface is, the more important the 4-Gear is. With a 4-Gear there is no difference in acceleration out of corners between the X – 6 and a rear motor buggy. That used to be our Achilles Heel, and the 4-Gear solves the problem.

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

Took this out the street to play a bit...as it was 60o today. Damn, it's silly fast on just a 7.4v LiPo. I can be at 60% throttle going down the street, punch it and it gets all squirly trying to get traction again.

My little guy was driving a slash around as well, and we had to all but drag him back in the house when it was time to go back in :lol: