Vintage AE Ad -- 1979 RC12E "Go Racing With The Team"

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bud Bartos

Re: Vintage AE Ad -- 1979 RC12E "Go Racing With The Team"

Post by Bud Bartos »

polarbear wrote:WC1982 Kent, it sounds to me that the lightweight resistor speed control was not in the product list of AE but Parma. Am I correct?

By the way, anyone knows if the standard size resistor now available from Parma nowadays (under slot car controller section) the same as we used in the 12E?
Current slot car resistors are different than the RC ones. RC had 2 sides one for power and one for brake. The slot resistors are just power.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

polarbear wrote:Thanks Kent . So what do you think is the best mechancial speed control at big races??
I know and used the "Reedy's trick" by adding a wiper at the full speed position to ensure best contact. Some used a BIG micro switch there, some used the short side of the resistor to get more punch power..... and thicken the wiring...
While we have the various FET technologies in the past 20 years, was it a "one-best design" at that time in big races???
I liked using solid silver wiper buttons and adding the upper button to add pressure to the contact. I sanded the resistor windings flat for good contact. At times I used the short side of the resistor for power. It depended on the track and how much power your motor had.

polarbear wrote:For the variant of chassis cutting of 12E, do you feel there are significant differences? I mean the standard "I" shape, "A" hole in front of motor; milk bottle shape and even DA graphite blank etc. I found the tightening of the front grommet was effective in the flexi difference rather.

On the other hand, the original AE chassis was made of epoxy plate while the Yokomo's was green FRP which was stiffer and heavier.
You can definitely feel the difference in the different cuts on the 12i chassis. The more you cut out the more rear grip it gives you. I used the extended milk bottle cut, hogging out as much as I could without risking the chassis breaking in a crash. Nobody had much success with the DA graphite chassis because it didn't have as much rear grip, and I seem to remember some problems with radio glitching and tweaking. I never tried the Yokomo chassis so I can't give a comparison on that one.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

Some of the 1/12th chassis plates I found in my pit boxes...
CIMG8284k.jpg
CIMG8285k.jpg
CIMG8287k.jpg

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

Somebody call 911..........................i ................cant.............breath :lol: Wow Kent this is some great stuff for restorations.
Ryan

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I love it, it just gets better and better! Can't wait to see what you dig up next!

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

Next... I think I've got most of the pieces to one of the original pre-production 12L prototypes in my pit box. As I recall they were given out to the team drivers before one of the big races, probably pre-assembled. It would be cool to get that car put back together. First, locate as many of the parts as I can find. Second, remember how it was originally built. :|

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

I've been digging through my stuff for about a month trying to find my 1982 World Champ ring, and I just found it today. First place was gold, everyone else in the A Main got a silver ring. Nice touch, I think Mike Reedy was in charge of IFMAR back then and had these made for the racers.
IMG_2700k.jpg
IMG_2705k.jpg

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

:shock: What happened to things like this for racers? When I win my first World Championship (still working on that one :lol: ) I would rather have a token like this, instead of a MX bike like they
gave away to the winner of a 1/8 scale race--

Thanks for sharing!

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Thats awsome! Thanks for that!

I know what it feels like to chase a ring. We have one up for grabs every Labor day weekend in the TORC series. Winning the championship ring at Crandon is as big as it gets for us. Most of us would take winning that race over winning every other race that season.

Edited to add, I don't have one...................................YET!!!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

WC1982 wrote:I've been digging through my stuff for about a month trying to find my 1982 World Champ ring, and I just found it today.
Just found it today?? :shock: If I had that it would never leave my finger! Roy Munson style! :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Kent, just out of curiosity--how did you find RC10Talk? And what do you plan on doing with your stuff? Can we look forward to some "restorations"?

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Kent, just out of curiosity--how did you find RC10Talk? And what do you plan on doing with your stuff? Can we look forward to some "restorations"?
x2, would love to see them restored. It would be a restoration by the original owner so you know it is correct.
sweet ring. 8)

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

Hi ,
Kent do you remember which manufacturer is for this graphite chassis (rear body post on the rear of the chassis) and is it Neisinger 86 WC car ?
Attachments
rc12l neisinger.jpg

camlchris
Approved Member

Post by camlchris »

prp wrote:Hi ,
Kent do you remember which manufacturer is for theis graphite chassis (rear body post on the rear of the chassis) and is it Neisinger 86 WC car ?
I think, this is a D&D graphite chassis.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

prp wrote:Hi ,
Kent do you remember which manufacturer is for this graphite chassis (rear body post on the rear of the chassis) and is it Neisinger 86 WC car ?
I can't identify the chassis, but it wouldn't be a Neisinger car because he ran a Futaba S32 servo at the 86 Worlds and he wouldn't run TRC wheels.