Yo-clone-oh Dogfighter

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Yo-clone-oh Dogfighter

Post by Dadio »

I've found an error I made with the gears , the diff gear is undersize ! It should be exactly the same as both the other 46 tooth gears at 38.177 mm diameter but its only 37.519 , that puts it about 0.25 mm out of mesh so about twice the lash it should have against the idler gear , it doesn't sound much but it is in practice ! Its also very fixable , once I've finished another bit I'm printing I'll run off a new diff gear that's larger .
Now its all apart I can also see that the rear chain sprocket has two teeth that are starting to break off and is in fairly worn condition so that's getting replaced as well .
this first pictures show the two chain sprockets , the rear still on the gearbox
this is the damage to the idler gear , there's a kink in it toward the rear that's from when the axle slipped out but the real issue is the roll of the gear tips , it looks kind of rough in finish due to the CF fill being untouched in the bottom of the space between teeth .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The new diff gear is finished and fitted ,looks much better and should solve the problem :D not too sure what I can do about the chain sprockets , I guess the thing is I can sell sprockets for £5 so if they don't last long just get another ,I got about 30 x 5 min runs with a brushed motor and they only failed once I started running brushless ,on a shelf queen the life expectancy would be much longer :lol:
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Glad you've found the source of the gear failure.
As for the sprockets, I'm guessing that it probably won't be a deal breaker for many who will be interested in purchasing the kit if it's certified reliable with brushed/nimh power only.
Stupid question #1 - For those interested in running more power, could the sprockets be outsourced to another printing service that could do them in metal? If so, any guess as to cost??
Stupid question #2 - are Yoke sprockets still available (guess this should have been stupid question # 1). :oops:
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I guess the sprockets could be CNC cut in metal or Acetal or even a harder nylon , so far I've only stress tested the Kyosho chain compatible sprockets as I only have one Yokomo chain and its very comfortable on the shelf , if anybody wants to beta test a set of Yokomo sprockets and is willing to put 20 or so runs on them then PM me .
The genuine Yokomo sprockets are long out of production , 2 or 3 times a year a set will go on eBay but the price is getting daft , I've looked many times to find a compatible replacement but never found one , the chain can be found but it works out about £50 per meter after delivery and if I remember right comes from Australia , still cheaper than NIB original chains though !

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

All up and running again , still with the BL and lipo , its a very basic ESC and has no punch control so I'm being a bit ginger on the throttle but there's no slipping of the gears on tarmac or medium length grass so I think that's fixed , I'm going to log the testing from now on as I think everything is finished really .
The BL and lipo is doubling the run time , I was getting about 6-7 min on the 2200 NiMH brushed motor and just under 15 min with the 2600 lipo BL , charging time is a little lower and I can run several battery's in a row with no cool down time needed so testing should be speeded up .
When I can find some time I'll start a thread in the BST section for parts , a lot is already finished in the design , the gearbox case , front and rear suspension , front bulkhead and top deck etc are ready , I have a few parts printed and ready now as I've been getting printer settings honed in . As I'm getting a part totally ready I'm then transferring the G code to a SIM card so I have it all stored in one place and ready , I'll have a back up on the PC as well but the SIM just plugs into the printer and I feed the right filament and select a part and press print .
For me personally this has been a revolution , I can drive my favourite car as much as I like and if something fails instead of weeks/months of hunting for a part I have it in a matter of hours , for anybody who wants the parts from me they will be only days away and a cheaper fixed price not a deep wallet contest on eBay ! I probably will put parts on eBay as well but I'll start here and probably only take orders here rather than have an inventory .

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I'd like to buy at least one set of printed parts please. :D This would make a perfect winter-time build.
If it's okay with you, I can do the plates and metal parts myself if you could kindly provide a few basic dimensions.
For me, going with Kyosho chain is best since I already have them. I may be able to make metal sprockets but not sure about that. I'd need to devise a process for broaching the notches.
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

You know till this moment I never considered anybody wanting a complete kit of parts :shock: I've been thinking more of supplying spares ! ,I'm going to have to look at pricing it up , there are going to be a lot of options , for instance at the moment I have five different trailing arm options , standard copy that needs spacer washers to fit into the mount , standard copy with integrated spacer to fit the mount , 5mm extended arm ,5mm extended arm with integrated spacer and finally Delta style with integrated stiffener/shock mount .....
I'm also thinking of a suggested additional parts like re re scorpion rear axles and printed square drive flanges to match .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I switched to a 17.5t brushless Trackstar combo today and wound the punch down to 3 , its plenty faster than the brushed setup and everything is running sweetly after 3 x 15 min runs .
Just thinking , the metal diff parts are rare , in my non printed runner I used a hybrid diff that uses Team C diff metal components and the gear and balls from an 834b , would that be a useful additional option or not ?

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

absolutely!

btw....I dont know if you have seen this yet- its expensive for now but shows huge promise for the future! Print at home, send off for debinding and sintering, and receive back a finished stainless steel product.
https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/basf-ultrafuse-316l-metal-composite-3d-printing-filament-175mm/sk/MRDKJRRS
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Dadio wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:31 pm You know till this moment I never considered anybody wanting a complete kit of parts :shock: I've been thinking more of supplying spares ! ,I'm going to have to look at pricing it up , there are going to be a lot of options , for instance at the moment I have five different trailing arm options , standard copy that needs spacer washers to fit into the mount , standard copy with integrated spacer to fit the mount , 5mm extended arm ,5mm extended arm with integrated spacer and finally Delta style with integrated stiffener/shock mount .....
I'm also thinking of a suggested additional parts like re re scorpion rear axles and printed square drive flanges to match .
Sorry, my fault, I misunderstood. :oops:
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

XLR8 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:05 pm
Dadio wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:31 pm You know till this moment I never considered anybody wanting a complete kit of parts :shock: I've been thinking more of supplying spares ! ,I'm going to have to look at pricing it up , there are going to be a lot of options , for instance at the moment I have five different trailing arm options , standard copy that needs spacer washers to fit into the mount , standard copy with integrated spacer to fit the mount , 5mm extended arm ,5mm extended arm with integrated spacer and finally Delta style with integrated stiffener/shock mount .....
Its fine I'm happy to sell the parts as a kit but I don't have the facility's to custom make the metal parts ,the exception to that will be gears and I will supply them with the needed axles in steel but dog bones front central drive spindle and axles will need to be found elsewhere , I'll try and make an easily found compatible parts list such as the re re scorpion rear axles can be used at the rear and front without one way rollers with a set of square drives that I can print .
Its going to be quite a list and its daunting thinking about it , I'm dyslexic so this typing thing is not my strong suit , I'm really not looking forward to it .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:27 pm absolutely!

btw....I dont know if you have seen this yet- its expensive for now but shows huge promise for the future! Print at home, send off for debinding and sintering, and receive back a finished stainless steel product.
https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/basf-ultrafuse-316l-metal-composite-3d-printing-filament-175mm/sk/MRDKJRRS
Never seen that before , not cheap for a 3 kilo roll but for the price they process up to a kilo of parts , just think how many diff parts and front central drive spindles that would be or stainless steel gear sets ! Its a pity they don't sell a half kilo roll with processing included in the price , that would probably sell better to home users .

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Dadio wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:42 pm
XLR8 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:05 pm
Its fine I'm happy to sell the parts as a kit but I don't have the facility's to custom make the metal parts ,the exception to that will be gears and I will supply them with the needed axles in steel but dog bones front central drive spindle and axles will need to be found elsewhere , I'll try and make an easily found compatible parts list such as the re re scorpion rear axles can be used at the rear and front without one way rollers with a set of square drives that I can print .
Its going to be quite a list and its daunting thinking about it , I'm dyslexic so this typing thing is not my strong suit , I'm really not looking forward to it .
It's okay, I understand now. Please don't waste your time compiling an exhaustive parts list. I can pull up a parts list for the Dogfighter online, compare that to what you can make, and determine what I would need to source elsewhere. I really didn't intend to create an additional task for you. But thanks Dadio for offering to make the list.
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Its really OK , I've kind of known from the start that I'd need to do it and I've been procrastinating for a while now :wink: the other thing is that I'm really not that self confident , my wife always says I under sell the stuff I do , the custom airsoft guns I make for the WW2 reenactment community are a very high standard ( I have no peers ) but I find it hard to put a price tag on them because they are just something I've made and once I've made a particular rifle to the highest standard with the best design features I can then I never want to make another as its just boring reptative work , I think I might be a bit odd really :lol:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I had the axle slip through the idler gear again in testing today so I think I'm going to have to put a set screw on the unused end to lock it in place on the shaft .
I made a start on the parts list in the BST section ,I still need to take more and better pictures of the parts , its a long way from complete , I'm open to suggestion on how to make it better or more easily understood .