RC10 Oval Car Project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Oval Car Project

Post by PBR Allstar »

Jacobey,
That thing looks awesome! Great Job! I think I like the looks of it better with the RC10 front end. If you do another version and choose to use the RC10 front end you could used a pair on the nose tube braces from an RC10GT (blue pan version) to mount your nose tubes

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVC39&P=OW

I think part of what Charlie was refering to is a way that a lot of dirt oval cars are being built nowawdays, especially with the advent of brushless motors, and the high torque they produce. A lot of companies are building chassis that are when you look at them almost skeletal looking. They are doing to this to effect how the torque of the motor loads the chassis, allowing to chassis to "wrap up" under full throttle. there are a few different philosophies at work in the chassis when companies are doing this, the two primary things that I've notice with such chassis are keeping the LF wheel loaded at turn in to increase bite, and the second being dynamic cross weight. I've played with a few different chassis but usually when I'm racing a high bite clay track I go back to the old rigid carbon chassis, the tuning of them is just a little bit more black and white. Not that the new style chassis are black magic of any sorts, but they do react differently to adjustments, some adjustments like static cross weight don't affect them nearly as much. Here's a good example of such chassis, the JRC 2010 chassis, I have the next earlier version of this car and it works very well, but I find myself winning more races with my standard custom works intimidator GBX, partly due to the fact that I know the car better and I feel that it is easier to tune to my driving style.

http://www.jefferyracingconcepts.com/popup_image.php?pID=29

Again, great Job on the chassis! If you want to step up to a compostie chassis material but don't quite want to spring for carbon fiber you should look into getting some G10 sheet, it's available from Mcmaster carr for pretty cheap, lots of colors and thicknesses, you can also use it for towers, batter straps, body mounts. the uses are endless, I always keep a stash of it in the garage.

Jacobey
Approved Member

Post by Jacobey »

That makes even more sense now. I figured all that was just to shave off excess weight, which might be part of it, but the weight of CF isn't very much, so they are probably doing it for a little flex. I think I've got it now

Custom Works? JRC? You must have plenty of money in your cars!

I should get a sheet of that G10. I'm sure I could find plenty of uses for it :wink:

I think I decided on a body to run with this setup. Because I have the option to run foam or rubber tires of different heights and widths, it would probably be best to get a modified body. I like the looks of the Custom Works #9004
Good choice?

http://www.customworksrc.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000567-1200011393
RC10 | T4 | TC3 | RC18T | Legend | Bolink All Star Sprinter | CW Enforcer | WCM 1/4 Sportsman

Jacobey
Approved Member

Post by Jacobey »

I got the foam tire adapter today.

Tires fit on there pretty good :wink:
RC10 | T4 | TC3 | RC18T | Legend | Bolink All Star Sprinter | CW Enforcer | WCM 1/4 Sportsman