hella sweet gnx

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Did not realize it was that quick. That tops the old Lambos. The figures I found were not as impressive as yours shodog. Still just a G body though :D
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

correct. Dead stock GNX's run mid 13's all day. GN's are high 13 second cars dead stock.

ya know how I see a GNX/GN?? Its the fastest, most coveted American car of the 80's.. wait.. Does *THAT* sound familar??

think RC10 folks..

If I took any of you guys for a ride in my car.. You will see the light.. trust me.. Mine runs high 11's and 0-60 in about 3 seconds... All while running 175 degrees in 100 degree bumper to buimper traffic with the ac on:) Power everything..

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Tadracket wrote: :lol: Yes, I understand there is a novelty to that but you can get a Countach for under six figures and to me, that is exotic. Anything Italian is exotic to most people. Sure they may not be rare but they are faster. The GNX is still just a G body but the Countach is a true exotic. And I am not sure a Testarosa would get smoked my a GNX. It may be close but the Ferrari was on par with the Countach. I just don't see where the GN/GNX cars where that much faster than the run of the mill 5.0's and SS's. They may have been faster, but how much?

I am seeing 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and 1/4 in mid 14's. That is not much faster than a GT Mustang.

If I am wrong, someone show me different.
In 1987, the Buick GNX was the second quickest production car in the WORLD. Only the Porsche 911 turbo was quicker. That includes all other makes and models, including the Countach, the Testarossa, whatever car you can name. And, like shodog said, that's factory stock, rolling off the showroom floor and smoking Lambos down the street.

As far as picking up a Countach for under 100K. :lol: Yes, you certainly can. But, there's a reason for that. The Countach is a POS. Ask anybody who's owned one, worked on one, or knows their Lambos. Not a good car. Probably the most awesome looking car ever, but that's about it. You could take that GNX, drive it from Maine to California to Florida to Washington state, and back, with no problems. The Countach on the other hand.... well, good luck. And, if you do manage to make it, you're going to need a good chiropractor when you get home.

Read my earlier post about a regular, stock 87 GN vs a early 90's 5.0 Mustang. No contest. And, the GNX would smoke the GN, it would be ugly.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

FlyinGN wrote: II took any of you guys for a ride in my car.. You will see the light.. trust me.. Mine runs high 11's and 0-60 in about 3 seconds... All while running 175 degrees in 100 degree bumper to buimper traffic with the ac on:) Power everything..
That is impressive and I would love to take you up on that, if I could. Not doubting your car, just saying that sounds like fun.

Then I will take you for a ride on my 12R (just don't squeeze) and I'll show you high 9's :D

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

my car is stock and can run low to mid 13's all day long too.

so there, neener neener. ;)

the coolest thing about the buicks imo is that you NEVER know if its just some yahoo in a stock rig or if its a seriously built car. they simply demand respect.

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

yea Hoop, the LS1's are fast.. Very fast..
badhoopty wrote:my car is stock and can run low to mid 13's all day long too.

the coolest thing about the buicks imo is that you NEVER know if its just some yahoo in a stock rig or if its a seriously built car. they simply demand respect.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

They do make a good sleeper and I don't mean to take anything away from the good looks of the GN's. It's just that you can take a regal and some black paint and Tah Dah, you have a GN :P :lol:

Just kidding guys. Don't get mad at me. I'll leave this topic alone before I pi## someone off.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Tadracket wrote:Just kidding guys. Don't get mad at me. I'll leave this topic alone before I pi## someone off.
it's all in good fun. :wink:

going fast in newer cars does nothing for me. i have a hard time feeling the sensation of speed. they're just too smooth. now yanking the front wheels off the ground all 4 gears in my dad's 55 chevy, much more fun. :D

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

you serious? Cause there a whole lot of special things on a GN that make it that.. Seems like you are just looking at the body.. wholeeeeeee lotta special items make a GN

Tadracket wrote:

They do make a good sleeper and I don't mean to take anything away from the good looks of the GN's. It's just that you can take a regal and some black paint and Tah Dah, you have a GN :P :lol:

Just kidding guys. Don't get mad at me. I'll leave this topic alone before I pi## someone off.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: My first car was a black 81 Buick Regal. It was the laziest dog you've ever seen. Very, very nice looking car, but had absolutely no power at all. Rode like a dream and was very reliable, but as quick as a snail. It sat in the garage right next to my parent's 87 GN. Basically, one car looked like a pretty Buick and the other one looked like a Stealthier version. About 2 seconds in the GN and you know the similarities between the two cars stop at shape of the body.

Tad, don't worry about people getting p!55ed off. When you talk cars, muscles are bound to flex. :lol: :lol: :lol:

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

let me tell ya that going sideways at 40 mph with 550mm of
rubber spinning is quite invirurating too:)

Ive had 60's musclecars and none that I've owned could come close to comparing the raw torque and acceleration of my GN. Im talking RARE EXOTIC musclecars too. Ever hear of a 65 Z16? I owned one.. 69 Judge? I owned one. 69 Roadrunner ? Had one too
scr8p wrote:
Tadracket wrote:Just kidding guys. Don't get mad at me. I'll leave this topic alone before I pi## someone off.
it's all in good fun. :wink:

going fast in newer cars does nothing for me. i have a hard time feeling the sensation of speed. they're just too smooth. now yanking the front wheels off the ground all 4 gears in my dad's 55 chevy, much more fun. :D

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

FlyinGN wrote:Ive had 60's musclecars and none that I've owned could come close to comparing the raw torque and acceleration of my GN. Im talking RARE EXOTIC musclecars too. Ever hear of a 65 Z16? I owned one.. 69 Judge? I owned one. 69 Roadrunner ? Had one too
well, i guess your comparing the wrong cars to your gn then. you see, i'm into nostalgia drag racing. cars like the willys in the pic. this is how my dad's 55 chevy is built. so, if you ask me if i'd rather go fast in the willys or a newer car like your gn, i'd pick the willys every single time. different strokes for different folks.
Attachments
hales1.jpg
hales1.jpg (53.67 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
hales1.jpg
hales1.jpg (53.67 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

Then you should have gone to Atco last weekend! it was the Philadelphia modifiers old time drags. All pre 79 and nostalgia drags. Draws a BIG crowd and 100's cars.. Great time...

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Sweet. 8)

But is that thing street legal?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

unfortunately, i don't get to too many of the shows. my weekends are usually shot building them with my dad. here's a 63 implala ss were doing for our dentist. we just got started on it, so there's not alot of progess. it has a very healthy 409 in it. right now were playing with the suspension to get it to sit the way we want it. trying different springs, ball joint spacers, etc. then we'll start tearing it apart.

here's a link to one of our builds: http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hdrp_0610_1955_olds_88_gasser/
Attachments
IMG_1701.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG (112.94 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
IMG_1701.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG (112.94 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
IMG_1699.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG (116.04 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
IMG_1699.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG (116.04 KiB) Viewed 1159 times