Guys in the NE and Irene Tonight

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

transamman908
Approved Member

Re: Guys in the NE and Irene Tonight

Post by transamman908 »

Yard is like a pond. Water coming in basement through waste pipe wall penetration, water coming through my electrical panel, destroyed fresh sheetrock living room ceiling from roof leak. Thanks Irene :x
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Hang in there Eddie - hope it doesn't get worse

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

transamman908 wrote:
Lowgear wrote:this whole storm has revolved around money and fear mongering to the full extent.
Please do explain :?:
The media is having a field day with this, ignoring everything else, and blowing it way out of proportion like they always do. Even going so far as trying to make things sound worse than they actually are. Its being blasted in everyones face on TV, on the Internet, on the Radio, and in print as well. They make people scared to death like the end of the world is coming. Its the definition of sensationalism. Stores profit heavily from it as everyone runs to them like lemmings to buy everything off the selves like they're preparing for a nuclear winter. Some places are even going as far as taking the things people are relentlessly being told to go out and buy and piling it all up at the front doors like its official hurricane Irene merchandise. Websites, especially weather ones push everything aside to focus all their resources on this storm as the more useless crap they have up about it the more traffic it generates and the more money they make from advertisers.

I just find the whole thing to be really stupid. Sure its great to be extra cautious but this goes beyond that. Its not just me either who feels this way. All you have to do is search for something like "hurricane Irene hype" to see what I mean.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

One of the 9 'tragic' fatalities reported until now was that of a 55yo :roll: guy who was surfing :roll: in the waves :roll: caused by the storm :roll:

I don't call that 'tragic', I call that 'Darwin Award'.

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

Lowgear wrote:
transamman908 wrote:
Lowgear wrote:this whole storm has revolved around money and fear mongering to the full extent.
Please do explain :?:
The media is having a field day with this, ignoring everything else, and blowing it way out of proportion like they always do. Even going so far as trying to make things sound worse than they actually are. Its being blasted in everyones face on TV, on the Internet, on the Radio, and in print as well. They make people scared to death like the end of the world is coming. Its the definition of sensationalism. Stores profit heavily from it as everyone runs to them like lemmings to buy everything off the selves like they're preparing for a nuclear winter. Some places are even going as far as taking the things people are relentlessly being told to go out and buy and piling it all up at the front doors like its official hurricane Irene merchandise. Websites, especially weather ones push everything aside to focus all their resources on this storm as the more useless crap they have up about it the more traffic it generates and the more money they make from advertisers.

I just find the whole thing to be really stupid. Sure its great to be extra cautious but this goes beyond that. Its not just me either who feels this way. All you have to do is search for something like "hurricane Irene hype" to see what I mean.
ive been lucky to have only been through a few hurricanes, the worst being Wilma a few years back. yes, they are mking way too much out of this but they dont roll up that way too often and people are not as prepared as they should be. most Floridians have, for example, a generator or power back up and storm shutters. its almost procedural for a lot of people.

i havent been following this for the very reasons you posted but i heard it was only a cat 2. at a cat 1 or 2 most people down here will all go out side and have a hurricane party.

all that said they are still nasty things and i wish all of you the best who are dealing with this and the resulting flooding and wind damage. if your reading this and never been through one it is scary and they do a lot of damage, keep that in mind.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Raleigh NC must have been just outside the outer bands. It was overcast all day, and we had some wind and some rain, but nothing extreme.

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

blowing it way out of proportion like they always do

I'm in the middle of the ocean and it's not to much at all but if you watch the news it's like a soap opera these guys are out of control. I have lived in Massachusetts my whole life and there has been many snow storms worse then this. I hate news people :roll:
Ryan

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

hope you guys there are doing ok, just heard the news....
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Pfft! That's not a storm! Although I am sorry for transamman's flooding! The media is very bad in blowing things way out of proportion!

But what the hell would I know? :roll:

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

seriously that storm was a joke, Ive seen way worse rain storms in Florida that lasted twice as long....

Mazdaj
Approved Member

Post by Mazdaj »

lowrydesign wrote:seriously that storm was a joke, Ive seen way worse rain storms in Florida that lasted twice as long....
Not a joke to some. No power Sunday 730am until Weds 5pm at home. Eight inches of rain in a 18hr period. No power at shop where I work until yesterday 430pm-flat rate auto tech-going to get paid this week? I don't know. Not so funny.