Newbie post - ready to start a restore project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fatboycarney

Re: Newbie post - ready to start a restore project

Post by fatboycarney »

Thanks as always guys this is one of the best forums I have ever participated in. Very helpful and thanks for putting up with my dumb questions I promise I will only ask each dumb question once :D

Well visited my LHS yesterday to get some parts for the restore and it was a total bust. The guy says they dont sell much Team Associated stuff and had nothing I needed. Also he didnt offer to order it so online I go.

What sites do you guys like to use? Tower has everything but seems to have a minimum 19 dollar shipping charge. What is your experience for shipping to Canada?

I also tore the car down a bit more last night. Will try and get some pics up of the process

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Just remember when shipping from the US that you got to pay the taxes on the stuff at the post office :cry:

I just always forget because I don't order from online stores that often and the 15% add on the total at the post office is a kick in the nuts

fatboycarney

Post by fatboycarney »

Thanks VAE I wish I didnt have to go the online route but as far as I can tell there arent many LHS around unless I drive to Toronto and I dont enjoy that torture :(

I might do some test ordering from the US or try and find some good Canadian online sites. greathobbies.com looks promising actually

fatboycarney

Post by fatboycarney »

VAE I was looking at your RC10T build (very sweet by the way!!!)

I wondered where you go the red screws from? Do you get them locally? or order them from somewhere. I am thinking of doing a colour theme for my build and wanted to get some different coloured items than stock

Thanks
Mike

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I got them off of ebay. A quick search of "RC10 red" should bring them up. I would do the same with each colour you are after and maybe there will be something that pops out for you.

fatboycarney

Post by fatboycarney »

Wicked thanks VAE. I did find them. However I actually decided to replace all the screws and got a pack online for 12 bucks so thats the way I am going

So I am steadily getting making progress. I have the truck essentially pulled apart and cleaned. Only thing left is the shocks. Now I am waiting on some parts. By the way my truck was a bushing kit version so I have boca bearings kit coming (not sure how long that will take but it has shipped)

What do you guys think as far as sticking with the vintage stealth or picking up an RPM? Will a slower geared brushless setup be ok on the stock stealth?

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

the stealth tranny will do fine with brushless motors. Myself and Rod have 8.5T brushless in out 10Ts many others run 10.5T motors. I run 10.5T brushless in my RC10s. The sandrail in my signature section has a mamba max esc with a 5700kv brushless motor, which is a little too much. I went through every melted gear in that stealth tranny and replaced them with alloy ones with the exception of the spur.

fatboycarney

Post by fatboycarney »

Perfect thats great.

So now I took on my last part of the teardown and I am stuck. I am taking the shocks apart (still waiting for my rebuild kid)

I cant get the o-rings and spacers out of the shock. I read in the manual to use the shock tool to push then out and it does take some force to push them but I still cant get them out? Any tips? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Try placing the shock tool on the counter or bench and push down on the shock to give you more grip and make sure that the longest point of the tool is facing the inside wall of the shock body. Don't use a flat headed screwdriver or anything metal or you risk causing a striation on the shock body and it could create a leaky spot.

fatboycarney

Post by fatboycarney »

Thanks VAE will give this a try tonight and let you know how it goes

fatboycarney

Post by fatboycarney »

I did a couple searches and coudnt really find what I was looking for. I would like to put some bigger tires on my 10T as it will be more of a basher. I have read a lot of guys like Masher 2k's but wanted to post

What wheels and tires do you recommend for a basher setup. (FYI converting rear axles to 3/16" if that matters)

Thanks

fatboycarney

Post by fatboycarney »

fatboycarney wrote:Thanks VAE will give this a try tonight and let you know how it goes
Sorry for the late reply but this worked perfect thanks!!

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

fatboycarney wrote:
fatboycarney wrote:Thanks VAE will give this a try tonight and let you know how it goes
Sorry for the late reply but this worked perfect thanks!!
I'm doing this technique right now, practice make perfect :lol: