Vintage racers in CNY

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

wait a minute
Approved Member

Re: Vintage racers in CNY

Post by wait a minute »

[quote="Dirtdiver"]CRC used to be GP Racing, right?
It use to have a carpet track inside with small dirt oval and offroad track outside.
Owned by Greg something."

Crc is in the same building that gp racing occupied. It was owned by Greg and Lynn Philly.
wait a minute

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Thanks for reminding me of Greg's last name.

Any idea when they opened/closed? I went there a few times in the 1992 or 1993 time period. They had a small carpet track inside, a small dirt oval track inside (closest to the wall nearest the offroad track) and an offroad track outside.

vwlvr1980
Approved Member

Post by vwlvr1980 »

Lets revive this im buliding some vintage cars as we speak!! Im not far im in Cortland

popboy905
Approved Member

Post by popboy905 »

A Friend and myself are running cars rc10, b3, b4 and losi xx at High Octane R/C in syracuse NY and The Compound RC in Athens PA Both are indoor clay tracks and are pretty friendly, but they both have at least one double that is really tough with a 27t stock. I heard there is a place in Cortland NY called Outback R/C that is a out door track that runs in the warmer months, but i haven't been there. The only thing that you have to watch out for is short course trucks...

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Been a while, but Walt's in syracuse used to be the place to race in that area. There was also Brennan's in Vernon, and there was a track that opened in Ithaca a couple years ago. There used to be at least one in Albany, i forget the name, and I have never been, but I knew a guy that raced there bitd. Seems like I am forgetting one, but like I said, it has been a while.

popboy905
Approved Member

Post by popboy905 »

I been to Walt's and there wasn't much going on besides a small oval carpet, there was a out door dirt track but that was in bad shape. Is the place in Ithaca Jerry's? 1/8 scale outdoor? i will have to check that out in the spring

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Walt's Hobby use to be a great place. His first hobby shop was located in a basement with the hobby shop in front and small banked dirt oval in the back room. They also had truck pulling in the middle of the infield.

His current store, the second one, is huge compared to what he started out with. When it first opened, he had an indoor banked clay oval, an indoor banked carpet oval and was starting to build an outside dirt oval. I didn't go to the new store much and was very disappointed that the dirt oval was gone the last time I stopped in. The only track there was a flat carpet track which was where the dirt oval use to be located.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

popboy905 wrote:I been to Walt's and there wasn't much going on besides a small oval carpet, there was a out door dirt track but that was in bad shape. Is the place in Ithaca Jerry's? 1/8 scale outdoor? i will have to check that out in the spring
I forget the name, but there is (or was) a thread for it on Rctech.

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

Yep, the Ithaca track is Jerry's. I think it's mostly 1/8 but I can't say I've been there in person.

I did check out Outback in Cortland last year. Nice track.

We race weekly at Walt's on Saturdays. Short Course (with jumps) and oval. Todd has said that if 4 or more show up for a class, he'll run it. Maybe we could get a vintage buggy or stadium truck class? I'd be up for that.

Brian
Classics rule, moderns drool

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

What type of race are you looking for? You could always talk to Calvin at Redneck RC in Fulton or Pete at High Octane RC in Syracuse for indoor offroad. Redneck, Victory Lane and can't remember what Terry's track name is...provides dirtoval! Redneck being indoor with the rest outdoor. All in your neighborhood man! I've ran my vintage Kendrick/Lane style sprinters at Rednecks just playing around. But had my goldpan with Jack Johnson EDM body on the track at Terry's against the B4 Street stocks and she was holding her own! Was great! And she was straight off the shelf. Went to make an adjustment on the shock and it turned...so who knows what was even left for fluids in the shocks. lol. But was a blast!

kevin107
Approved Member

Post by kevin107 »

I'm in CNY as well. I frequent CRC at least a few times a month. I've also run Buddyboys (indoor carpet during the winter), High Octane (indoor clay offroad), Walts (indoor carpet, outdoor offroad), and others. Will be making it to Redneck's new Baldwinsville track soon.

I think if there was enough interest.. 20-30 cars.. it could be brought up to any of the local tracks to hold a small vintage get together.
RCSoup.com

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

if you guys get something together, i'll make the trek from ct. as long as it's a weekend thing.

kevin107
Approved Member

Post by kevin107 »

I plan to make the trip to CT for VONats this year. I'm still trying to get my bearings on what the vintage fanbase is in CNY.. but if there's interest.. I'd be more than happy to help organize it.
RCSoup.com

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

kevin107 wrote:I plan to make the trip to CT for VONats this year. I'm still trying to get my bearings on what the vintage fanbase is in CNY.. but if there's interest.. I'd be more than happy to help organize it.
It's moderate at best, seeing how most of us have left the area. But there are a few

popboy905
Approved Member

Post by popboy905 »

I just heard about another indoor off road track that opened up near Syracuse, Redneck rc

85 East Genesee Street
Baldwinsville, NY 13027

there was a video of the track on fb, it looks good, i'll have to go check it out soon. I am not looking to race, but if anyone wants to get together on a practice day or night and run some laps some time over the winter get a hold of me