My Ultima GP ST "Type-R/EVO" 20th anniversary project with 3D printed "CF" parts.

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HiTec
Approved Member

Re: My Ultima GP ST "Type-R/EVO" 20th anniversary project with 3D printed "CF" parts.

Post by HiTec »

Just finished up the final revision of the front parts. This setup has 32 deg kickup. Im not absolutely sure what the original has, i suspect its somewhere between 27-32 deg. I plan to do an experimental 25 deg version of these also. Some day...

This is a modified combination of the parts. I widened up the front chassis support beam another 4mm when compared to the previous version. I also relocated the front bumper rear screw holes a little to help with the structural integrity of the front chassis (stock screw holes are so too close to the edge). Lower, structural part of the front bumper is 1mm thicker than original, and the front curve has same thickness as original (4mm).

These revision of the parts need to be used as a combination, they wont work with any of these 4 stock parts. As kickup wasnt an adjustable option in this car, modifying it need a complete overhauling of these parts (front bulkheads upper face needs to be modified, because otherwise the upper plate doesnt fit correctly, shock tower/steering arm clearance needs to be taken care of etc.

Edit: Just received my Nylon CF roll!

HiTec
Approved Member

Re: My Ultima GP ST "Type-R/EVO" 20th anniversary project with 3D printed "CF" parts.

Post by HiTec »

I also realized that i need to draw the upper frame. The stock ST Racing Sports part number is RS-6. I saw that the Type-R and EVO versions differ from each other. Type-R is same as Racing Sports (except more fibers in plastic). EVO version (part nr: UMW109B, cant get it anywhere) has different steering arm posts and upper frame attaches to them via screws. I modeled the stock ST/Type-R and EVO versions, but printed the EVO upper frame, as im using custom made titanium steering posts. (I know this upper frame has slight differences when compared to OEM, but i need to adjust some shapes as these parts are 3D printed, not injection moulded, so if i would just model these 1/1, there would be more problems with durability.)

And printed:

My "wnb" EVO with latest and greatest 3D printed parts and Type-R:ish beater, which gets all the prototype parts than can be still used.

Edit: My steering arm setup. CF/PETG arms with sealed ball bearings and Kyosho short balljoints, DIY foam "balljoint protectors" and hard ball cup ends.

Edit: Just tested out the new Wizards Voodoo filament from fillamentum. Just a little bling that goes well with the new chassis (i had to use "pro mode" on my S10 as, the stock settings couldnt get the real life colour pop)!

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Your definately the one who could print a Drag'n Master chassis. Looks like theres nothing u cant make :D
F!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

Haha! Thanks (i think?)! You made it sound like i was the chosen one! :D

Just checked out what it is. And yea, it looks exactly the same how its named. I even have the same looking wheels on my ST (original were discontinued, so the car has some kind of monster truck rear wheels on it).

Edit:

And heres the 10min drawing of the front body mount. Looks terrible and its even more terrible to print because of the needed support material (because you need to turn this approx. 90 degrees to get the needed strength). Im printing out this test print with pure PETG filament, with 80% infill. Just to get the flex this part needs.

I really need to design this again from scratch. I will propably use completely different front body mount style, because even the stock ST/R/EVO front body mount looks terrible in my opinion.

Here´s some last driving pics of this ST that i have. Thats 14 years ago.

(Yeap, thats my friends Kyosho USA-1 in the background).

One of the last videos (potato quality & rear tire tear itself up from the wheel):

Edit: Just took couple of tries with Fiberforce Nylforce Nylon CF filament. Whoa, terrible to print. Couldnt get it to adhere to bed. Have to try again some day with different settings. Warps like crazy even with the part fan off. One failed print looks/feels like it will have awesome strength though, so im definitely going to make this work for one way or another.

Edit2:

All right, just ordered a Ultima RB6 ball diff set:

Im creating my EVO gearbox around those gears and diff, as the replacement parts are easy to get, when compared to Type-R/EVO parts, that seem to be non-existent. Should be pretty nice setup. My Racing Sports version of the car will use the standard gear diff, with standard gearbox covers. Gear ratios are not so far off from the stock (just checked it with gear ratio calculator).

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

I´m currently drawing an experimental version of the receiver/thorttle servo plate, as the EVO-chassis gives an opportunity to upgrade the design.

So, i drawed the Inferno MP9 tank to the absolute centerline of the car. Its "dead on center". I also moved it 10mm forward, which is almost the maximum possible. I copied the design from the Ultima ST Type-R version. I think that in the Type-R version, the tank is as forward as it can be because of the F/R weight balance. Combined with the fact that the engine is on the left side of the car, tank is now fully centered and has a splash plates inside it, the left/right weight balance should be better, because now also the receiver and thorttle servo will move more to the right.

Edit: Heres a sneak peek about the partial (just 1mm thick) PLA-test print from my previous design that im now modifying.

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

Im slowly dropping some of the parts to thingiverse. Free to download and use for personal, non commercial use. Please read the licence for parts im publishing in thingiverse. In short: You cant use my files to make money or you are breaking the licence and there could be some consequences. This hobby gave me so much in younger age, that this shall be my small contribution to the hobbyists.

Link to first part, rear bulkhead:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4180155

Link to second part, -R/EVO style ball bearing steering linkages:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4181519

Link to third part, stock, little reinforced Racing Sports front bumper:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4181613

Rear bumper (reinforced stock Racing Sports GP version):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4181620

Rear shock mount/tower:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4181641

Rear body holder Type-R/EVO style:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4186212

Tip: If someone thinks about making an EVO version of this car, theres still a 2 EVO chassis plates for sale in ebay. That chassis plate is 0,5mm thicker than Type-R and blue anodised. That part was only sold in Japanese markets, so thats pretty rare i think:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KYOSHO-UMW201BL-Hard-Main-Chassis-Ultima/302346940116?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

perry
Approved Member

Post by perry »

mtbkym01 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:31 pm It’s a Venom Creeper
I have several venom creepers, send me a pm with the parts you need and I'll post pictures in my for sale thread

HiTec, thank you for posting the 3d parts, you're awesome! I'll be printing some of those file this week!

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

Hey!

Thanks for the comment and compliment!

Please post a reply how those parts worked for you once you have printed, installed and tested them! I really hope this work can resurrect some old Ultima ST:s and RB:s.

Im planning to do draw some more parts that offer more suspension setup adjustability (like the newer Ultima RT6 has). But i cannot promise the ETA for those.

I also still have many unreleased parts, that are waiting some final touches before release. All those will be found from my things page in thingiverse.

I will also release the Ultima ST Racing Sports to Ultima ST Type-R/EVO package, that includes the modified gearbox for Racing Sports chassis plate, that uses newer Ultima RB ball diff (Type-R version already released). Same set also includes drill guides that you can use to accurately drill the Type-R/EVO engine mount holes to RS chassis plate.

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

Took a little break.

I won a bid on BNIB Ultima ST Type-R EP some time ago and started to design a mostly 3D printable beater version for it.

The original:

3D printed:

RB6 transmission upgrade, so i dont need to buy overly expensive and rare discontinued parts for this anymore:

All the design files available from my thingiverse page. They are free, but please check the licence. The parts are only meant for personal use, no commercial use.

https://www.thingiverse.com/jiipeee/designs

I did this whole project so people could revive their old Ultima ST:s without paying those crazy prices for discontinued and hard to get parts that some sellers are asking. With these updates, you can 3D print most of the discontinued parts and for those parts that are not printable with FDM printer, you can just buy newer, still available parts from Kyosho.

Next step is to modify some suspension elements, so RT6 arms could be used.

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

I actually suspect that if you use the combination of RB5 main chassis, RB5 rear chassis + lower control arm blocks, RB6 transmission package and RT6/SC6 rear lower suspension arms, you will get the same result. I cannot 100% confirm it, but it looks like it with the parts i have available.

So, i slightly modified my Ultima ST Type-R EP main chassis to accept the RB5 rear chassis. I did it because it seems that the RB5 main chassis is getting harder and harder to get. I also added aluminum body posts to front and back while it had on the drawing table.

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

This car has been working great. I only found one weak spot from the design and it was the front bulkhead upper screws. I modified the design so it accepts the M3 screw inserts. No problems with the 3D printed shocks either, they just work.

This is the final chance for people to download my designs from thingiverse. 24 hours from now on, they will all be gone. You can thank this guy from my decision to remove my parts from thingiverse: https://www.ebay.com/usr/mariuszb2626?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

And yea, i also bought RT5 some weeks ago. I can confirm that the whole RT5 front end package is compatible with the old Ultima ST EP/GP/my main chassis. The RT5 main chassis is 10mm longer than the Ultima ST Type-R EP main chassis.