Do old radios and receivers hold any value to anyone?

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Re: Do old radios and receivers hold any value to anyone?

Post by morrisey0 »

I hate to admit how many Magnum Sports have made it into my bin. :?

I now keep all of them that come on rigs I buy, because every time I try to sell as a roller, all the FB peeps want to know if it is RTR. So, I keep old radios just to throw them on rigs so they sell quicker.

I do have a nice Magnum FP-T2PD sitting around that I hope to build a vehicle to be worthy of some day, but that probably won't happen. :D
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

nitrous36
Approved Member

Post by nitrous36 »

Yeah I still have some of mine because I like the way they look and I know Ill never get what I paid for then when new hahaha. But theyre well maintained(not dropped, scratched and scuffed) and still working. I know I probably look ridiculous with the long antenna extented like Im going to fence lol.

You're right. Theyre good to have selling a model as RTR or giving to a new person to help them start cheaply.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I've noticed that several of my Futaba radios have a jack on then for plugging in a power adapter. I assume this to be for using rechargeable batteries? Does anyone use this? If so, do you have any details on which make/model of power adapter you are using? Are you using a battery pack or rechargeable AA batteries?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Some radios are able to accept battery packs, while others would just use individual rechargeable batteries.

I prefer good alkalines, for the higher voltage. However, I do avoid Duracell batteries (well known for leaking, also known as Duraleaks).
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

nitrous36
Approved Member

Post by nitrous36 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:27 am Some radios are able to accept battery packs, while others would just use individual rechargeable batteries.

I prefer good alkalines, for the higher voltage. However, I do avoid Duracell batteries (well known for leaking, also known as Duraleaks).
Didn't know that. I never had an issue with duracell. But I also don't leave them in.

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

juicedcoupe wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:27 amI prefer good alkalines, for the higher voltage. However, I do avoid Duracell batteries (well known for leaking, also known as Duraleaks).
Funny, I've had the exact opposite experience and have gone strictly to Duracells in anything I want to keep that I may use infrequently.

They probably all leak eventually, just Duracells haven't leaked on me yet. :)

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I think I've determined that the Futaba radios take a 5.5mm x 2.5mm DC male plug. There were some pigtails on Amazon that seemed ok, although they needed a connector change and a little shaving down to fit the recessed jack location on my 2PL radio. A file does a nice job of shaving down the molded plastic.
Attachments
PXL_20211002_135246419~2.jpg
PXL_20211002_131337400~2.jpg
PXL_20211002_131254340~2.jpg
PXL_20211002_131237827~2.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Just double check plug polarity, most are generally center pin positive but from memory JR might have been the opposite with the centre pin as the negative.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Crawlernerd

Post by Crawlernerd »

For my Rc10s that are nice enough to "restore" I feel that includes all of what I call "day 1" stuff like an AM radio and a mechanical speed controller. On my "runners" day 2 options are fine but still should be vintage or what was available at the time. ie: a Novak esc or Futaba radio gear. Or ball bearings. My late Edinger will probably never again see running off road but I still insist that is fully operational with the old school electronics in place. So to answer your question, Yes I feel there is value in the old electronics.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

RC10th wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:59 am Just double check plug polarity, most are generally center pin positive but from memory JR might have been the opposite with the centre pin as the negative.
Continuity checks show the center of the adapter is to the red positive wire, outer is to the black negative wire. The adapter negative connects to the last AA battery negative with minimum resistance. The adapter positive connects to the first AA battery positive but with 165k ohms resistance. This makes me wonder if there is some circuitry in the radio fo charging. If so, then maybe I need to use only NiCd batteries? And maybe I need to use only a power supply instead of a charger? Any thoughts? I've never changed batteries inside a Futaba radio before. There was a Duratrax kit for this (DTXP4010).

b027
Approved Member

Post by b027 »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:15 am
RC10th wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:59 am Just double check plug polarity, most are generally center pin positive but from memory JR might have been the opposite with the centre pin as the negative.
Continuity checks show the center of the adapter is to the red positive wire, outer is to the black negative wire. The adapter negative connects to the last AA battery negative with minimum resistance. The adapter positive connects to the first AA battery positive but with 165k ohms resistance. This makes me wonder if there is some circuitry in the radio fo charging. If so, then maybe I need to use only NiCd batteries? And maybe I need to use only a power supply instead of a charger? Any thoughts? I've never changed batteries inside a Futaba radio before. There was a Duratrax kit for this (DTXP4010).
I checked an older Futaba charger I have (model FBC-8B(4)), and it helpfully shows a diagram on the label that also shows center pin positive. This charger connects directly to a NiCd receiver battery, and i believe the same is true for the internal NiCd in the transmitter (FP-7FGH), so in this case, no charging circuitry in the TX. I don't know if that may have changed with newer radios though!

To OP, I absolutely still enjoy vintage radio gear as I am very nostalgic and enjoy the memories and feelings from using them. although it's more comfortable, the lighter weight TX's just don't feel substantial enough in my hands. I also like having period-correct electronics in my vintage cars. Newer, non-collectible stuff that I run for fun get 2.4GHz though.
Attachments
IMG_2274.JPG
IMG_2275.JPG

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I have a few old radios, just for the shelf. I like to see them for the nostalgia. I don't use any of them anymore, but I rarely drive anything. I might use them if I did.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Any Futaba 3PK radio users out there? If so, do you ever change configuration between AM / FM / 2.4ghz? This radio is unfamiliar to me and I'm looking for any experience with whether changing emitter modules affects your stored presets. I haven't looked up the operation manual yet, but just curious what any personal experience is.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Got these two ol' boys. Haven't used either yet but both work and I will use them when the times comes. Until then, they're just nostalgia display pieces.
Attachments
Resized_20211012_160235_3933 (2).jpeg
-Jerry-