Hyperdrive for RC10 Questions

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

a01butal
Approved Member

Re: Hyperdrive for RC10 Questions

Post by a01butal »

I was crewing on a car in a different race that weekend and my race badge got me onto the grid until the 5 min bomb went off. Posey was on pole and he just sat in his car and ran his finger around the steering wheel, again and again and again. I have other memories of the race like I was getting something(probably a beer) at the food stand in the paddock and I guy walks up next to me and asks for a corn(corn on the cob is a Elkhart delicacy as you probably know) and out of the corner of my eye I glimpsed(word?) a Hinchman patch on his driving suit and I started to tremble at the presence of PJ. It was one of the best race weekends I can recall and unfortunately can't recall that many, I was 24 back then so now you know that qualifies me as the token senior on this site. And Jay you were how old in 70?
Al

This is all very interesting!

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

He wasn't born yet I think, like most of us here :D

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Oh I know, I'm a minority on this site unfortunately I have too much time on my hands and few other things that interest me(as much as r/c cars do) at this stage of life. Just sent my grandson Sam his first r/c car this week and my granddaughter Sydney plays with a Tamiya rtr that I picked up locally. Trying to keep the kids coming into the hobby unfortunately they won't know it like you people have. Just hope everyone understands I'm just partially senile at least for now, oh I think I just found my signature phrase.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Yep, I wasn't born yet....... 1972 for me. There are a couple of things that I wish I could see that were before my time, a couple of races from the 69 and 70 seasons of Trans Am, wouldn't mind seeing a couple Can-Am races either, and lastly, although totally unrelated, I would like to have seen the Saturn V take off (my dad says it was awesome).

I went to the Monterey Historics in 2003 for the Ford Reunion.... the Trans Am race was the closest I will get and made the trip totally worth it! One of the best I have seen!
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

I've been to the historics at Elkhart a number of times and it is the closest thing to reliving those days that you can find. I sit out on the back of the track near Canada corner and listen to the sound that only a big block Chev can make reverberating through the valley and I really feel like it's that time again. Then my wife comes over and helps me get up and we step by step try to get off the side of the hill without tumbling to the bottom like one of the drunken idiots I used to be one of. My 67 which I mentioned earlier had that sound with the side pipes when I mashed the gas and held on for dear life. It was amazing and if you ever wanted to pass a car on the road you had to wait until you could get 5 or 6 cars lined up in front so that it became financially feasible to push the $ pedal to the floor. I was paying $3.00 a gallon way before most of the rest because all I could burn in it was racing fuel.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I have been to the BRIC once, can't remember what year....... maybe 2004 or 2005. It really wasn't anything compared to the Monterey Historics. It is just a function of there are more collectors out west with more money than in the midwest.
www.gojammedia.com

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Well I haven't been in a few years went much more in the 90's and I especially remember the 92 Can Am Reunion where Denis Hulme came back in a McLaren Mk something and all others that came just for that event. As it would be it was one of the his last races, he past in Oct of that year at a race at the Bathurst 1000 in Australia.
Truth is always was more money out on the coast and we always marched to the beat of there drummer, although guys like Penske and Hall were the big guns the big buck privateers seem to come from the west coast and they always had tans.
I'm envious that you've been to Laguna always was the #1 track I wanted to go to, been to lots of others and lots that don't exist anymore, maybe someday I'll get out there if the wife wants to.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

The Monterey and Elkhart Lake Historics events are a special thing. Everyone should attend both just once if you love race cars.

I was in diapers in 1970. Not even walking yet. :shock: Didn't stop me from being at race events, though. :mrgreen:

Keep your eyes peeled for SPEED TV's American Muscle Car, as there is a heyday Trans Am episode featuring Posey, Parnelli and all of the vintage restored cars. The stories they tell in that show are fantastic.

Back on topic, though, the only reason you would have needed to flop the tranny around on the Hyperdrive was the stock motor (reverse rotation). Some guys hooked them up backwards to reverse the polarity, but on any motor with more than 0° timing, it was retarded timing. The motor in the photo was a mod motor, as all you needed to do was loosen the endbell off, rotate it 180° and re-tighten at the same timing. Today you could flop a stock motor 180° with no problem, as the endbells allow for a rebuildable motor.

Anyone remember left-side drive pavement oval cars? They flopped the motors and pods, and put the gear and motor on the left side of the cars for better weight placement. Never did really catch on much.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I don't want to continue to stay off topic, but did anyone go to, see, read anything on the Trans Am Reunion thingy they held in NC? I want to say it was recent and if I knew about it before, I would have made every effort to attend. EVERYONE was there, that is still kicking.
www.gojammedia.com

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

I'm not sure where they would run in NC.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

It was a banquet type thing at some Concourse event I believe.
www.gojammedia.com