Vintage AE Ad -- 1979 RC12E "Go Racing With The Team"

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

WC1982
Approved Member

Re: Vintage AE Ad -- 1979 RC12E "Go Racing With The Team"

Post by WC1982 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Kent, just out of curiosity--how did you find RC10Talk? And what do you plan on doing with your stuff? Can we look forward to some "restorations"?
Somebody gave me the link to the forum and said there were some threads/questions about my cars.

I want to keep the cars as original as possible so I doubt I will restore any of my Worlds cars. But I might put together something like one of the early prototype 12L cars using the parts that I have sitting around. And I've been collecting some Jerobee nitro cars that I always dreamed about when I was racing HO slot cars. Maybe I can piece together a show car and a runner. I also wouldn't mind having a 12E car in my stable, but I don't have many parts.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Jerobee nitro cars that I always dreamed about when I was racing HO slot cars
I wanted one so bad when I was a kid. My brother's friend had one sitting in the garage so I would go over to his house and beg to play with it with no luck. 35 years later and I still don't have one :evil:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Just thought I would hyjack this quickly--anyone interested in a NIP DA graphite 12 chassis drop me a PM ( sorry Kent :wink: )

polarbear
Approved Member

Post by polarbear »

Hello Kent,
I would like to know the steering mounting issue in 12i.
Nowadays, the shaft of the steering servo is placed on the centre line of the chassis to maintain the left and right travel/ ackerman angle equal. However, in the 12i, as well as Delta Super Phaser, the servo is mounted so that the servo saver is offset. Is this an issue at THOSE days or did the pro drivers have any trick to get around this?

PB

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

I think it's better to have the servo output shaft centered with equal length links, so on my 12i Worlds car I ran it that way. It offsets the servo which could cause a weight imbalance and possibly a little tweek, but the advantages of the equal steering throw was more important.
82WC Chassis Top View.jpg
As requested, here's a color photo of my 1982 car.
82WC12i.jpg

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Kent-
All of your cars look to be in pristine condition. Did you also keep a stash of cars/bodies that were involved in memorable accidents that cost you wins or did you throw those out? Please show us your "junk pile" if you have one.

Thanks

dirtdiver

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

Kent thanks for the nice pics :mrgreen:
The nut on the rib and chassis , for what ?
For tweak your chassis!!!

polarbear
Approved Member

Post by polarbear »

Thanks Kent for the servo mounting info.

Humm.. That should be the chassis stiffener... but not graphite.

But the way, when did the ball diff axle equipped with ball bearing on the spur gear? Was it the 64 pitch era? Or if it had already been a pro modification in the 32 pitch years?

Was the cross bar at the from bulk head tightened all the way or "floating" ?
PB

polarbear
Approved Member

Post by polarbear »

Kent, can you show us your transmitter(s)?

As a pro driver, had you ever have any hesitation with the E chip mounting method on the front tires on Assoc? :?

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

prp wrote:Kent thanks for the nice pics :mrgreen:
The nut on the rib and chassis , for what ?
For tweak your chassis!!!
That's a stiffner that Roger Curtis (Associateds co-owner & designer) originally designed for the 12i. The fiber washer and nut were there for damping and adjustability. It was meant to be run fairly loose so it provided some extra stiffness but didn't tweek the chassis. I don't remember ever using the adjustability. For the 1984 worlds my car had a graphite stiffner glued to the chassis.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

polarbear wrote:Thanks Kent for the servo mounting info.

Humm.. That should be the chassis stiffener... but not graphite.

But the way, when did the ball diff axle equipped with ball bearing on the spur gear? Was it the 64 pitch era? Or if it had already been a pro modification in the 32 pitch years?

Was the cross bar at the from bulk head tightened all the way or "floating" ?
PB
We had ball diffs as early as 1978. They were from Schumacher I believe. Then Associated came out with theirs in 1979 I think. So they were both a few years before 64 pitch gears.

The front cross bar was run a little on the loose side, not tight.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

polarbear wrote:Kent, can you show us your transmitter(s)?

As a pro driver, had you ever have any hesitation with the E chip mounting method on the front tires on Assoc? :?
Unfortunately my 1982 transmitter got lost in one of my moves in the mid-80's. I have a couple of photos that aren't great. It was a Futaba brown box that I stripped and painted white with green/blue stripes. I added a Parma pistol grip that I painted green, along with dual-rate adjustment knob, and a 1/8th scale front wheel with AE "Cat Paw" molded tire for the steering wheel.
KC Worlds TX.jpg
KC Worlds TX.jpg (19.05 KiB) Viewed 593 times
KC Worlds TX.jpg
KC Worlds TX.jpg (19.05 KiB) Viewed 593 times
The e-clips on the front axles were always a pain. They rarely popped off, but the big problem was the axle would shift and bind up the bearings a little. We had some cool rifle drilled axles that used screws to eliminate the e-clips. I think Bud's sold those as hop-ups.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

This is the full photo from my avatar. It was taken right after the Stock A-Main. Unfortunately the photos and interviews cut into my prep time for the Modified A-Main and I forgot to switch over to my larger wing that I was using in the Mod class for extra rear grip. Oh well!
KC.jpg

polarbear
Approved Member

Post by polarbear »

Thanks Kent, that's interesting.
The Cat Paw tire is quite heavy.

In regard of the ball diff, the very first generation did not have big bearing at the center of the spur gear and I remember lubing the aluminium hub and the right wheel on the axle with diff grease. Yes, then some time later, then Schumacher or Phantom of UK machined the spur gear to accomodate a big bearing there.

Modification.... not only on the chassis but also equipment in your hands...did you use lighter steering spring in the steering wheel?

rraeford
Approved Member

Post by rraeford »

Kent,

Thanks for all the great photos! My first car was an RC12E (which I still have) and I always wondered what your car looked like in color. Fantastic look.

Question, is the chassis in the top photo the same one as in the bottom photo? The reason I ask is the front wheels. They seem to be on backwards but they also seem to have some offset (seen in the top photo). Did you run a special front wheel?

Also, the 12i chassis changed over time did it not? The one pictured has the front cutouts and the one I own doesn't. I've seen both versions for sale on eBay. Can you give some history?

Thanks for all the info.