Why waste the money on the fees?

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Ron Jeremy wrote:
Ever wonder why AE never put that car in to production???? Because what existed already was a better all around car. That's why.
I type all that and still take nothing from the vintage stuff. It has its appeal to each of us for one reason or another. I think earlier we contributed our reasons. They ranged from opinions like the one I quoted (which I almost commented on at that time) to my reason: primarily memory lane stuff with a touch of collectoritis (haha, I just made that up). I truly enjoy the vintage RC10's, but I am far from the opinion that some conspiracy has kept them from returning from the dead and winning another IFMAR Worlds.

I do agree on the racing lineage and heritage of the RC10. Some would argue that modern RC has more influence from other cars than MelvinsArmy allowed, and I would tend to agree. Although my direct experience does not go back that far (1984).

Thanks for reading :lol: :lol:
I'm not sure where you are coming from Ron. I totally agree that today's buggys are better than yesterdays. I think I was quite clear about that in my original post in this thread. I brought up the analogy that there isn't even a comparison between the two, like there isn't a comparison between an 86 Testarossa and an Enzo. But, if you get a 16 year old kid in the Enzo and Michael Schumacher in the Testarossa, guess who's gonna win? I'm not sure why you quoted the part that you did, maybe you misunderstood me?

Whiskers wrote: "I was involved with rc stuff from about 1988 until 1994. I've been through all the RC10 conversions that y'all pant over, and they were all garbage other than the RPM "Worlds" conversion for the tub chassis. Even the sponsored drivers I new at the time thought it was cool." What you quoted me as saying was my response to this idiotic statement. The "RPM Worlds" car was based on a prototype car that was barely even an RC10. It certainly can't really be considered an AE product. Yes, it was an amazing car, but it was never produced. Obviously AE knew it wasn't as good of an all around car as the regular old aluminum tub, stealth wearing buggy, or they would have replaced it. Kinwald turned around and won the next worlds with an RC10 that was nearly identical to a car you could buy at the lhs. If that was such a superior design, and all others were garbage, why didn't AE produce it and put Losi out of business? That was my point. I'm not sure what you're reading in to it.

As far as lineage, no single car has had nearly as heavy of an impact on 2wd off road than the RC10. The JRX2? Don't think so, the only advantage it had over the RC10 was it's tranny and graphite plate chassis, both of which were long ago obsolete. Look at what was raced before the RC10. Sand Scorchers, Frogs, Scorpions, etc. They were the Model T's of 1/10 off road racing. The moment the RC10 came on the scene, they were all totally obsolete. As in overnight. Independant A-arm suspension, adjustable camber, caster, toe-in, better tranny, lighter, and shocks that were light years ahead of anything ever offered before, and are still the best shocks you can buy. Just to name a few features. It was the first true race-built buggy. The JRX2, the Ultima, the Cat, and everything after copied all of those features. Yes, there were other contributions along the way, by other companies. But, nothing that changed what a buggy looked and performed like overnight. The RC10 did.

This is all my opinion, and you're more than welcome to disagree and/or debate me. The internet is a wonderful place. But, I will say this. The RC10 is the 1/10 buggy equivalent of the Lamborghini Miura. As soon as Lamborghini put an engine in the center of a sports car, it was no longer just a sports car. It was an exotic car. It could out peform ANYTHING on the road, nothing could hold a candle to it for many years to come. Soon, Ferrari, Maserati, and all others would be forced to follow if they wanted to keep selling cars. Kind of a similar situation.

Oh, and if you haven't noticed, yes I am a little teensy bit biased in my opinions. But, I do try to form my opinions on experience, research and as many facts as I can gather. You might not believe me, but I am actually a HUGE Losi fan. 8) I raced a JRX2 because it was better than a 6 gear RC10.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Yeah, what he said. ^^^^^

:D :lol:

Whiskers
Approved Member

Post by Whiskers »

I'm sorry what I said hit so many of you so personally. I didn't mean it that way, and I didn't attack any of you personally, by name. But those that attacked me so personally should step back and reconsider your words.

Ron Jeremy
Approved Member

Post by Ron Jeremy »

Woot to all that stuff!

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

Whiskers wrote:I'm sorry what I said hit so many of you so personally. I didn't mean it that way, and I didn't attack any of you personally, by name. But those that attacked me so personally should step back and reconsider your words.
its all good dude. its just teh internet. :wink:

if anything you got some peeps riled up enough to post some pretty interesting opinions on the history and the influence ae had with the introduction of the little rc10.

so like, everybody just chill and get back to lovin' the junk.

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

its all in fun.. I hope no one takes others opinions too serious... After all, every has their own and they are entitled to it..

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Whiskers wrote:I'm sorry what I said hit so many of you so personally. I didn't mean it that way, and I didn't attack any of you personally, by name. But those that attacked me so personally should step back and reconsider your words.

Maybe it's just me, but it's pretty arrogant to come into a very specific forum, and in your first 5 posts attack the reason everyone is there, and then expect an apology.

No hard feelings here, but I don't take back anything that I previously said.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

apexspeed wrote: Maybe it's just me, but it's pretty arrogant to come into a very specific forum, and in your first 5 posts attack the reason everyone is there, and then expect an apology.

No hard feelings here, but I don't take back anything that I previously said.

My thoughts exactly. The word "garbage" keeps coming to mind. Anyway, no hard feelings here, there never was. But, if you post an opinion, you better have the goods to back it up, cause you're definately gonna hear it if you make outragous, blanket statements.

I usually try to stay very neutral on this board, but your original post was just begging for some attention.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Now where's Jay (Mr Lexan)? I'm waiting for him to come in and say he has no opinion on any of this and call for a group hug.

:lol: :lol: :P :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Ron Jeremy
Approved Member

Post by Ron Jeremy »

I have re read the parts that got me excited and realize I read them the way I wanted to. The worst part is that the one comment I did quote was totally misunderstood (by me). I read it now and am like, oh yeaaaaaaah. Haha, what a tard.
I swear someone at some point made the claim that the new stuff aint no better than the old stuff. Next time I'll just keep my thoughts to myself until I know WTF I am talking about :lol: :lol:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Ron Jeremy wrote:I have re read the parts that got me excited and realize I read them the way I wanted to. The worst part is that the one comment I did quote was totally misunderstood (by me). I read it now and am like, oh yeaaaaaaah. Haha, what a tard.
I swear someone at some point made the claim that the new stuff aint no better than the old stuff. Next time I'll just keep my thoughts to myself until I know WTF I am talking about :lol: :lol:
Now you're being totally rediculous. This is teh internet, you're supposed to blab like maniac! Come on Ron, we're all tards, don't go MESA on us!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

that be me and you misquoted me. I said...
Using same electronics, a properly set up gold pan is every bit as fast as anything today.. of course. I'm talking in the same class.

and I stand by that claim..:)
Ron Jeremy wrote:I have re read the parts that got me excited and realize I read them the way I wanted to. The worst part is that the one comment I did quote was totally misunderstood (by me). I read it now and am like, oh yeaaaaaaah. Haha, what a tard.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

FlyinGN wrote:that be me and you misquoted me. I said...
Using same electronics, a properly set up gold pan is every bit as fast as anything today.. of course. I'm talking in the same class.

Yeah, I love the old cars and everything... but I don't think so.

With current shock travel, differentials, final drive ratio, tires, wheels, and ability to adjust anything you need to in the suspension, the old gold pan cars don't stand a chance. Otherwise, we'd all still be racing them. Head to head, a FTB4 or XXXCR will beat the crap out of any 20 year old RC10 on the track, and it won't even be close. Maybe in a straight line, but that's about it. They'd be fun to screw around with in club racing, but they aren't real serious race cars anymore.

If they were still competitive, Associated would still be making them.

Whiskers
Approved Member

Post by Whiskers »

apexspeed wrote:
FlyinGN wrote:that be me and you misquoted me. I said...

Yeah, I love the old cars and everything... but I don't think so.

With current shock travel, differentials, final drive ratio, tires, wheels, and ability to adjust anything you need to in the suspension, the old gold pan cars don't stand a chance. Otherwise, we'd all still be racing them. Head to head, a FTB4 or XXXCR will beat the crap out of any 20 year old RC10 on the track, and it won't even be close. Maybe in a straight line, but that's about it. They'd be fun to screw around with in club racing, but they aren't real serious race cars anymore.

If they were still competitive, Associated would still be making them.
Thank you! :D

Now, are y'all going to cut him up?

I'm sorry I didn't say it as well as he did.

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Very often technological improvements has little to do with enhanced performance and more to do with enhanced sales :wink: . Now there is no way I could comment on how a vintage model will perform against a modern car but what I do know is Mr.Northy is running a Pro Cat and A finaling it in the open class :D . Looking at today's B4 there doesn't seem enough of a difference to a B2 to make much of a performance gap. :?:

If manufacturers don't bring out new models every one who wants what they already produce has one so no more sales, sounds like business to me. :)
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028